roshee

Needing to visit my hubby in July

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

:thumbs:

Hi everyone...

I am new to this site and its my first time ever going on any chat site!

It seems like it is going to be so useful too!

My husband and I got married in March. We sent off for I130 and they received it in the mail two weeks ago in Chicago. We now wait for a # i guess?

I am feeling so depressed all night and day after reading that it may take 6 - 12 months to be allowed to live with my hubby in AZ. We had NO idea. I really had all my hopes on moving this summer. Is that like, totally unrealisitc?? I have to let work know as I told them Id likely leave in the summer.

I really, if nothing else allowed, need to go be with him for a few weeks in July. How do I go about doing that? Will they want to see soemthing at US Customs in Toronto Pearson airport? Will they let me on the plane?Does my name show up on some computer screen as having now applied for a 130?

Do I need to get a B2 or some kind of visa to enter in for a vacation or just go on my regular passport????

I am feeling overwhelmed right now and not sure what to do.?

Also, we have filed all the necessary paperwork for the 130 and the 325a. What do we need to do now??????????? Do we need to be getting an I-129 or something?

Any help would be appreciated.....

:-)

Timeline

you can go and visit but of course it is up to the POE people if they will let you in... make sure and bring lots of proof of ties to Canada and answer the questions honestly but you don't need to go into detail...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah you're definitely looking at around 6-12 months to get approved.

You can definitely go visit but like Marilyn said, you'll need to show proof of ties to Canada so - a return ticket, a lease agreement, a letter from your employer saying what date they expect you back to work etc - the more of these you have, the better.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Roshee,

You'll be able to visit your husband as much as you want. Its rarely an issue for Canadian's to visit their spouses. Just bring lots of paperwork.

As for letting work know - I'd just tell them that it's going to take a year. If it happens, sooner, let them know. I had hopes of moving this summer too, however I am sure that it will be more like the fall. We applied at the end of July of last year - so unfortunately March is pretty optimistic to be done this summer.

I wish you a speedy journey through this process, and many wonderful sunny visits to AZ in the meantime.

Edited by cattattude

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I traveled monthly to DC, never had a problem, but yes some do get denied, my 2 cents:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline
Also, we have filed all the necessary paperwork for the 130 and the 325a. What do we need to do now??????????? Do we need to be getting an I-129 or something?

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the I-129F for the K3. They're taking about the same amount of time to process, but in the long run they cost twice as much and quite frankly, its a pain in the #######. Just stick with the I-130 for the CR1 and that'll get you a 2 year conditional green card, with authorization to work as soon as you arrive in the US. With the K3 you still have to apply after you arrive for adjustment of status and work authorization, for an additional cost of $1010 USD. And it'll take about 3 months before you'll have your work authorization.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the I-129F for the K3. They're taking about the same amount of time to process, but in the long run they cost twice as much and quite frankly, its a pain in the #######. Just stick with the I-130 for the CR1 and that'll get you a 2 year conditional green card, with authorization to work as soon as you arrive in the US. With the K3 you still have to apply after you arrive for adjustment of status and work authorization, for an additional cost of $1010 USD. And it'll take about 3 months before you'll have your work authorization.

Isn't it required to submit an I-129F with the I-130?

Roshee-take a look at the "guides" link at the top of the page and make sure that you have everything you need. There will also be a flowchart of what the steps are and approximately how long each one takes, it's really helpful! VJ is a fantastic place for all of us waiting and for getting information.

You shouldn't have any problem visiting as long as you follow flames rules above. We applied for a fiance visa (I-129F) and my fiance visited me in the US at the beginning of April with no problems. Make sure you bring a copy of your mortgage/lease agreement, a letter from your employer stating when you're expected back, your most recent utility and credit card bills, a copy of your petition (and a copy of the NOA1 if you've received it...that will be the first letter that USCIS sends back to you), and recent paycheck stubs. You probably won't need all of that (they didn't ask my fiance for any of it), but I've heard of them asking for any or all of it, depending on the officer, when you cross the border. Better safe than sorry. :)

Good luck with your petition and with your visit! :)

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Timeline

Roshee-take a look at the "guides" link at the top of the page and make sure that you have everything you need. There will also be a flowchart of what the steps are and approximately how long each one takes, it's really helpful! VJ is a fantastic place for all of us waiting and for getting information.

You shouldn't have any problem visiting as long as you follow flames rules above. We applied for a fiance visa (I-129F) and my fiance visited me in the US at the beginning of April with no problems. Make sure you bring a copy of your mortgage/lease agreement, a letter from your employer stating when you're expected back, your most recent utility and credit card bills, a copy of your petition (and a copy of the NOA1 if you've received it...that will be the first letter that USCIS sends back to you), and recent paycheck stubs. You probably won't need all of that (they didn't ask my fiance for any of it), but I've heard of them asking for any or all of it, depending on the officer, when you cross the border. Better safe than sorry. :)

Good luck with your petition and with your visit! :)

no, it isn't a requirement...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

no, it isn't a requirement...

I must have gotten confused. :) Igor's list has a section for "K3 I-129F NOA2s"...so I assumed...'course we all know what assuming does :) (besides inciting over-used platitudes. ;) )

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Timeline

:thumbs:

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU - FOR ALL YOUR KIND WORDS AND MESSAGES.... YOU ARE ALL WONDERFUL FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO "TALK"

WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Will follow the advice for the border crossing...and PRAY - that usually works!

( i enjoyed the little quote on patience - we are gonna need it !! )

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, definitely follow what flames wrote re: traveling. i have gone to visit david twice since we filed. i packed light, answered any questions at the border honestly and had lots of paperwork to back me up if i needed it. both times there were no issues at all.

i wish you many happy visits during the process and hope everything happens sooner than expected for you :)

as for telling work, i was in a similar situation when we were first planning things. i told my supervisor and co-workers that i was hoping to be in chicago by summer. they were sad that i'd be leaving, but supportive and appreciative as things could be planned out in terms of my 'exit strategy' from the office. of course, once we got a reality check with our timing, i told my supervisor and co-workers that i'd be around for quite a bit longer than i planned initially. they were all thrilled that i would be around for a few more months (at least) and are still supportive. they are also quite understanding of the situation i'm in and are all hoping it's sooner than later for us. i'm glad i was up front with work. it has really made things easier as i know i have their support and they know i'm committed to my job. i am also sure that because i was looking out for everyone's interests that i'll get a solid reference which will be quite helpful when i start my job search in chicago.

Filed: Other Timeline
I must have gotten confused. :) Igor's list has a section for "K3 I-129F NOA2s"...so I assumed...'course we all know what assuming does :) (besides inciting over-used platitudes. ;) )

Yes, if you're going for the K3, the I-129F is required. However, I suggested in my post to NOT go for the K3 and just stick with the CR1, so no I-129F would be needed. IMO, these days its just a waste of time and money for Canadians.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.