3 posts in this topic

Timeline

My wife's biometrics were illegible two times. She just got an RFE asking her to submit letters stating no "criminal record" from all law enforcement districts in which she has lived within the past five years. They want this by June 13th. She has lived at the same location in the U.S. three years since coming here on a K-1 visa. She lived in Russia previous to that.

Are we correct in assuming the USCIS is requesting clearance letters from all U.S. locales she lived in --- not foreign? We're assuming that FBI fingerprint checks are not international as well.

Woh, that is strange. FBI criminal clearance (fingerprints) is done in a couple of days. I thought it covers all US. FBI name check also covers all US (checks administrative and other courts, etc). Usually done in couple of weeks unless name is popular. This letter is very easy to get from Russia. Somebody has to go to her local police station and give a bribe even if she does not have any record. That is a custom. Throught embassy it will take forever to get such letter-but they can send a request. I know if USC immigrates to Canada-Can immigration ask for this type of letter (this letter could be obtained from FBI (after doing prints at the local police station and sending print card to headquorters). I know my response is not of help. Just came to mind, there is also third clearance which is done by Border Patrol. They use extensive databases and consular databases. US embassy in Russia now have computerized criminal records of Russian citizens. Maybe she was flaged there?

My wife's biometrics were illegible two times. She just got an RFE asking her to submit letters stating no "criminal record" from all law enforcement districts in which she has lived within the past five years. They want this by June 13th. She has lived at the same location in the U.S. three years since coming here on a K-1 visa. She lived in Russia previous to that.

Are we correct in assuming the USCIS is requesting clearance letters from all U.S. locales she lived in --- not foreign? We're assuming that FBI fingerprint checks are not international as well.

Karina and Tomy

Timeline
Woh, that is strange. FBI criminal clearance (fingerprints) is done in a couple of days. I thought it covers all US. FBI name check also covers all US (checks administrative and other courts, etc). Usually done in couple of weeks unless name is popular. This letter is very easy to get from Russia. Somebody has to go to her local police station and give a bribe even if she does not have any record. That is a custom. Throught embassy it will take forever to get such letter-but they can send a request. I know if USC immigrates to Canada-Can immigration ask for this type of letter (this letter could be obtained from FBI (after doing prints at the local police station and sending print card to headquorters). I know my response is not of help. Just came to mind, there is also third clearance which is done by Border Patrol. They use extensive databases and consular databases. US embassy in Russia now have computerized criminal records of Russian citizens. Maybe she was flaged there?

She wasn't flagged --- her prints were illegible two times in application for the permanent green card through ASC biometrics. I believe that the police clearances requested in the RFE only apply to the various residences that she lives and had lived in the U.S. --- not international residences. I think the FBI fingerprint database is aimed at determining, for the most part, arrest records, if any, within the U.S. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.