8 posts in this topic

We have been married for one year and on April 13, 2008 we filed our I-130 form with the US Embassy. We are doing the direct consular filing because I have been living in Brazil for over a year. The filing of the I-130 and first interview went very well. The agent was very nice. She asked a few questions and decided to adjudicate the I-130 form. She informed us that in about two weeks we will receive a package in the mail with instructions on the documents we need for the next interview. She said, once we get all the documents together to call the US Embassy to setup an interview. Tomorrow will be two weeks in our waiting on the instruction package, but we have everything except for the medical examination. The police certificates and federal police certificate will be picked up this week. We will work on the medical examination this week. How long will it take to get the medical exmination?

Based on what explain happened when we filed; are things are done this way? We just have to call and they will give us an interview date? We have an apartment waiting for us in June. I hoping we can get an interview before June. Plus I need to get back to USA to see my doctors because I'm paralyzed from a spinal cord injury from a swimming accident. I have not seen my doctors in about one year and half. I usually see them twice a year. I'm getting a worry because never in my twenty-three years in a wheelchair have I ever gone this long without seeing my docotors. Your advice will greatly appreciated. Thank you!

John and Estela

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi John and Estela,

my case was a K1 visa, so i don't have an idea how long it takes the DCF, but I was reading the DCF General Info Guide and seams that is a really fast process, all you need now is your pack and schedule the interview and right after the interview if everything is Ok you guys will get the visa. If you have a case number or some reference number you can call the consulate and ask about the pack, I am pretty sure they will have some information about it.

God bless!

usa0013.gifbrazil0002.gif

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
The processing times vary from Consulate to Consulate -- I suggest you make a search on VJ timelines: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

for folks in similar situations. But in general, DCF is relatively quick.

good luck, L.

I am in rio right now ready to file my i-130 on friday. Seemed like everything went smoothely for you. You had your initial interview and the i-130 application the same day right?

I read on gringoes.com about a certified doctor in rio that is close to the consulate that completes the exam in two days. Its under the visa section. You´ll have to search for it though.

I have my 1-130

2 sets of g325s

2 passport fotos

my passport copies and protocol for RE.

marriage license and copies

birth cert of my wife with copies

proof of relationship.

am I missing anything. Just don´t tell me that I need to wait 2 weeks for handing in the i-130 and the initial interview.

Best of luck and any heads up is much appreciated.

lou

Hi John and Estela,

my case was a K1 visa, so i don't have an idea how long it takes the DCF, but I was reading the DCF General Info Guide and seams that is a really fast process, all you need now is your pack and schedule the interview and right after the interview if everything is Ok you guys will get the visa. If you have a case number or some reference number you can call the consulate and ask about the pack, I am pretty sure they will have some information about it.

God bless!

Thank you for your respond. That's a good idea. We will call them on Friday, because tomorrow is a holiday here in Brazil. We would like to know for sure what we need for the interview. We found information online about what is needed, but we want to know exactly what we need. The pack would definitely tell us what we need. Thank you for the great advice.

John and Estela

The processing times vary from Consulate to Consulate -- I suggest you make a search on VJ timelines: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

good luck, L.

Yes, it's been quick. So quick, we are questioning if there''s another step or something we are missing. We will search the timeline on VJ. Thank you for responding.

John and Estela

good luck, L.

I am in rio right now ready to file my i-130 on friday. Seemed like everything went smoothely for you. You had your initial interview and the i-130 application the same day right?

I read on gringoes.com about a certified doctor in rio that is close to the consulate that completes the exam in two days. Its under the visa section. You´ll have to search for it though.

I have my 1-130

2 sets of g325s

2 passport fotos

proof of relationship.

am I missing anything. Just don´t tell me that I need to wait 2 weeks for handing in the i-130 and the initial interview.

lou

Yes, we were able to file the I-130 and have the first interview at the same time. It went smooth and there wasn't much waiting to file and for the interview. The interview lasted about 5 minutes. We will read the information on gringoes.com about doctors for the medical exam. We want do the medical exam as soon as possible. To get the medical exam in 2 days would be good turn around for us. We went the US Embassy website http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/inde...itemmenu=58#pet and call the US Embassy to make sure we had everything. Below is what we took to the US Embassy. They didn't ask for proof of residence in Brazil, only my protocol in my passport, but we would suggest you have proof other then your protocol. We had our proof other then my protocol because we have been renting an apartment and both of our names are on the contract for rental. They didn't ask, but we wanted to have it and they ask then not have it and they ask. We don't think you have to wait 2 weeks to file as long as you have everything listed below. You call them to make an appointment to file and they will give you a day. We called them on a Thursday and they gave us an appointment on Monday. The agent ask if we can make it on Monday and we said yes we can. So, it's very quickly.

PETITION FOR SPOUSE:

* Form I-130 (duly filled out);

* Petitioner's proof of U.S. citizenship: valid U.S. passport and a simple copy of the page containing the biographic information and signature;

* Petitioner's proof of residency in Brazil;

* Two forms G-325A, one for petitioner and another for the beneficiary;

* Beneficiary’s birth certificate, original and a simple copy;

* Divorce Decree and/or Death Decree, original and simple copy (of all previous marriages) from both: petitioner and beneficiary;

* Current Marriage Certificate, original and a simple copy;

* One color photograph for both petitioner and beneficiary (5cm X 7cm);

* US$ 355.00 fee. Brazilian currency is also acceptable and;

* Proof of relationship prior to the marriage (such as: phone bills, photos, e-mails, passport visas, etc.).

Take care and best of luck for you too!

John and Estela

good luck, L.

I have my 1-130

2 sets of g325s

2 passport fotos

proof of relationship.

lou

One other thing that is important we forgot to mention. It is important for your wife to speak english or some. In the interview the agent ask my wife if she spoke english. My wife speaks very good english. I heard somewhere on some other board that it was important. We don't know if it would have made a difference. We noticed the agent was very pleased that my wife spoke english. It could come to who the agent is during the interview. Take care!

John and Estela

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.