tmk

SS card question

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My intentions weren't to have you stop posting, just don't make it so detailed that the average person gets tried of reading the post before getting to the actual answer. You, like other members who have been here longer, have a lot to offer and are very helpful with varioius immigration questions that otherwise would probably require a lot of work gleening information from various government web sites like the ones you post links to.

The actual answer to the question is at the top of the post. If the fine print was too much, the average person could just bail out there. BUT, that detailed information has been very useful when some members need to, ahem, *explain* the rules to the SSA employee (or USCIS emp, DMV etc). You have to remember that ideally, the answers posted are not only for the person who asked, but those who come along afterward.

I might point out that this topic IS in the FAQ and has been there for a long time (since oh, 1998 or so).

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.11.8

6.11.8)..Can I go get a "normal" Social Security card after AOS?

A..If you have a Social Security Card with "valid only with USCIS (INS) authorization" on it, then go to the Social Security office after AOS with your passport or green card and get a new Social Security card that does not have the restriction. You will still have the same Social Security Number. Do this as soon as practical. It is in your best interest to inform the Social Security Administration of your immigration status after Adjustment of Status.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I was wondering about this but reading that last post gave me a headache, too much detail. It would have seemed simpler just to say yea, re-apply to get the message off the SSN card. Sorry, this immigration stuff is complex enough without including all the government mumbo jumbo on top of a simple question.

Methinks if you would read a bit more before you chew out a very valued member of the VJ community, you would understand why the "mumbo jumbo" is sometimes necessary.

Not only has mdyoung been through the whole process from beginning to end (his wife's naturalization was recently approved), he has an exhaustive knowledge of SSA, and I know his experience and knowledge in that area have been helpful to me personally and to countless others here.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was wondering about this but reading that last post gave me a headache, too much detail. It would have seemed simpler just to say yea, re-apply to get the message off the SSN card. Sorry, this immigration stuff is complex enough without including all the government mumbo jumbo on top of a simple question.

Methinks if you would read a bit more before you chew out a very valued member of the VJ community, you would understand why the "mumbo jumbo" is sometimes necessary.

Not only has mdyoung been through the whole process from beginning to end (his wife's naturalization was recently approved), he has an exhaustive knowledge of SSA, and I know his experience and knowledge in that area have been helpful to me personally and to countless others here.

and your point being? ####### is ####### no matter how it is put.

Filed: Timeline

If there is a God the SSA office will tell you a K-1 can't be assigned an SSN. LOL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If there is a God the SSA office will tell you a K-1 can't be assigned an SSN. LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.