Johana&Jared

Documents asked at the Port of Entry in the USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm leaving for Houston this Friday. I have got my passport with the visa, a sealed envelope from the embassy, too. I thought things would be easy from this point but it seems they will not. I read I'd have to go through an interview in the US airport, too, and also present these things and fill in some forms there or on the plane. Is there ANYTHING else I should take? I was told by someone at VJ that I had to show and present my vaccine records, and preferably ALL the copies of the paperwork my fiancé and I presented at the embassy. Is this true? what do they ACTUALLY ask for? I thought the sealed envelope did include my vaccine records. My fiancé took all the copies and massive paperwork, as well as my vaccine record papers with him when he left Peru this Sunday. Please help! I think I shouldn't worry, that all I should bring is that sealed envelope and my passport, but I have felt confused and worried too.

Jared & Johana

August 13th, 2006: Met at 22:45:17 PM

March 17th, 2007: Became boyfriend and girlfriend! :)

August 2nd, 2007: Jared comes to Peru!

December 10th, 2007: Submitted our K-1 petition, filling for Vermont Service Center

December 14th, 2007: Received NOA1 - receipt

December 30th, 2007: Jared comes to Peru on my birthday!

February 17th, 2008: Touch

February 27th, 2008: Received NOA2 - APPROVED!!

February 28th: NOA2 hardcopy received

March 7th: Our files are sent to NVC

March 13th: Papers leave NVC and head to the US embassy in Peru

March 18th: Our papers arrive at the US embassy in Lima!

March 24th: Confirmed our interview date & received Package 3/4 (also, Jared buys his flight ticket to attend the interview, sweetness!!)

APRIL 18th: our INTERVIEW date! APPROVED!! visa granted! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
I'm leaving for Houston this Friday. I have got my passport with the visa, a sealed envelope from the embassy, too. I thought things would be easy from this point but it seems they will not. I read I'd have to go through an interview in the US airport, too, and also present these things and fill in some forms there or on the plane. Is there ANYTHING else I should take? I was told by someone at VJ that I had to show and present my vaccine records, and preferably ALL the copies of the paperwork my fiancé and I presented at the embassy. Is this true? what do they ACTUALLY ask for? I thought the sealed envelope did include my vaccine records. My fiancé took all the copies and massive paperwork, as well as my vaccine record papers with him when he left Peru this Sunday. Please help! I think I shouldn't worry, that all I should bring is that sealed envelope and my passport, but I have felt confused and worried too.

Hi There,

I came through Atlanta with my fiance a few weeks ago and it was really pretty easy. On the plane you only have to fill out the regular customs and immigrations forms- nothing unusual. We entered the visitor line at the airport, and when we got to the first counter the woman took one of the forms. While she took his fingerprints and photo (standard for all foreign visitors), she asked how we met and when we were getting married- I got the feeling it was more polite conversation than interrogation, but I could be wrong. We spent maybe 3 minutes with her, then she sent us to the customs people (just like everyone else). Once we got there, we were sent to a different desk where we handed over his passport, the sealed envelope (which does indeed contain the vaccination information) and his customs document (that he filled out on the plane). I think we waited maybe 10-15 minutes when one of the officers came over, told us the date we needed to be married by (90 days), handed over Jorge's passport with an entry stamp and I94 stapled in it, and said "Welcome the the United States". That was it- pretty painless. Try not to worry too much about it- I know it's stressful but you've already been given your visa so you're 98% there. Good luck!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

It is painless coming into the U.S. after all that you've gone though.

As mentioned in the previous post. You will have to complete a couple if standard customs /immigration forms on the plane. Everyone onboard has to do the same. One is the I-94 form that you will be given back or stapled in your passport by the immigration officer at the airport. You will need this I-94 form to do a couple of things on this end, so don't lose it.

You will probably be called into a small office to be asked 1 or 2 questions (usually alone) and give the immigration officer your brown envelope (don't open this, keep i sealed). He will tell you that you have 90 days to marry and wish you well.

You DO NOT have to have all the papers your fiance completed that you took to the embassy. All you need is your passport with your K-1 visa, the brown envelope (it has your vaccination and medical inside) and a nice big smile as you are finally here in the U.S.A.

One thing I will tell you. If your fiance is not traveling with you, you maybe the last person to come out from immigration from your flight. He may think "oh no she missed the flight or something is wrong"........ No, no, all is ok... it just takes a little longer than the others.

So don't worry, have a safe flight to Houston and WELCOME........

K-1 Adventure

9/04 - 2/06

Met in Peru, Engaged, Successful I-129F, K-1 interview and Married

AOS / EAD / AP and Remove Condition

3/06/06 - AOS/EAD/AP process begins

3/31/06 - AOS/EAD/AP package Fed Ex'd to Chicago

4/03/06 - AOS/EAD/AP package signed & received

4/10/06 - NOA1's received for AOS, EAD and AP via U.S. Mail

4/11/06 - All 3 checks cashed / $745.00 poorer but worth every penny

4/27/06 - Receive Biometrics appointment letter scheduled for 5/11/06

5/11/06 - Biometrics completed

6/02/06 - Receive notice that AOS only has been transferred to California to speed things along

6/07/06 - E-mail that AOS received in California

6/13/06 - Welcome letter mailed by California... yeah baby

6/17/06 - Official welcome letter received and card will arrive within 3 weeks

6/19/06 - Card arrived in the mail.......

3/08/07 - Trip back to Peru for 10 days and our Religous Wedding

3/2007 - We're Pregnant

12/19/07 - Sebastien Joshua born 8:29am 7lbs 2oz 19.5"

3/14/08 - I-751 Removing Condition is in the mail

3/20/08 - Checked cashed

3/17/08 - I-751 Package signed and received

3/24/08 - Case moved to Vermont

4/17/08 - Biometrics completed

4/21/08 - Touched...........

6/16/08 - Touched once again........

11/3/08 - Touched again.. this is begining to feel good

The only forms to fill out are the customs document and I94 (arrival/departure record). These are really simple forms. Whether you have an "interview" and the exact procedure depends on the POE and the officer.

My wife came through JFK with me. It was painless. Since I was with her, we both went through the citizen line. I told him my wife was activating her K3. The POE officer scanned my passport first, and stamped the customs form. Then, he took her envelop, passport and I94, entered some info on his computer, wrote her A number on the I94, stamped it, stapled it in her passport, took her finger prints and digital photo (required for US-VISIT for all foreigners). He did all of this without saying one word. He then said "ok, go on". We did... claimed our luggage, went through customs. No questions asked by the officer. A different officer may have asked questions, our guy was mum (which was a welcome thing let me tell you).

Different POEs may have a more formal questioning phase, etc. No little office visit for my wife though.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

FIRST RELAX relajateee! no te preguntan tanto solo donde lo conociste y cuando se casan !!

no tienes q llevar nada solo el sobre cerrado ahi va toda la infoooooooooooo!!

=)

en le avion te van a dar una hojita la llenas y nada mas!! :thumbs:

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

JOHANA&JARED,

The Houston airport Customs team is excellent and a pleasure to deal with. Even me a U.S. citizen coming thru my home airport and working with these guys is a pleasure, do not worry, always be polite, and they will do the same.

Welcome to Houston!!!!

Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.