smoedog

Removing conditions and traveling out of country...

4 posts in this topic

May 6th is the 90 day mark for sending in my wifes paperwork for removing the conditions on her green card. Well we found out today that her father is very sick. We are also in the process of getting her daughters visas. As I understand it we file the paperwork, they send us a notice saying they got the papers. Then they send us a notice for the interview, but that second notice is also a 1 year extension on her existing conditons.

Is it possible for her to file the paperwork then travel to see her fanily, finish up the visas for the kids and then schedule the interview for when she gets back

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think yes. First of all her green card is valid for 3 months so all she will need after that is the extension letter. In our case the extension letter was the first NOA - (it's also the receipt letter) it came through in 10 days. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

I think yes. First of all her green card is valid for 3 months so all she will need after that is the extension letter. In our case the extension letter was the first NOA - (it's also the receipt letter) it came through in 10 days. Good Luck

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law's poor health. (F) I must admit that's the one thing I dread happening to any of my English family. :unsure:

Regarding the filing issue ...

If you're going to file at CSC like motu did - they seem to have their act together at that center. However, I'm sorry to say the others are not as efficient. Unfortunately we don't know which center you'll be filing at, :time: and even if you send it to one, some cases are shipped out to others afterwards ... Anyway, just in case you're covered by TSC or VSC ...

As far as I know, only one or two VJ'ers that have sent in their I-751s since January to either Texas or Vermont have received that all important extenstion letter yet. And we're nearly half way through April. Most of us have only had the NOA Bometrics Appointment Notice. (That's if they've had anything at all.)

One other thing you may not have realised ...

If you are both going to be away for more than a week or two after you file, you should definitely have someone check your mail every day. They need to be watching out for the biometrics NOA. and they may need to be able to give you all the relevant information so you can reschedule the appointment if necessary.

The problem is the biometrics letter sometimes only gives a few days notice about the appointment - I think the recent record is two days notice! The major issue is that letter states that "IF YOU FAIL TO APPEAR AS SCHEDULED," ... [unless you already checked the box on the letter requesting a rescheduled appointment, copied it and mailed it back] ... "YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED ABANDONED"

It's totally ridiculous and unreasonable, but that's the USCIS for you.

So in light of all that, I recommend you assemble the package beforehand, but wait until immediately after you get back to mail it, as long as that will still be within the 90 day window. Or try calling the 'customer service' people - 1-800-375-5283 and see what they've got to suggest.

Good luck with everything,

All the best,

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Ok, so I realize now that you said your wife is going, and you're staying behind ... Doh! If these forums allowed for editing for more than five minutes, life would be so much easier!!! So sorry about that essay in the previous post ... it might prove helpful for somebody, I suppose!!!

Anyway .. To correct myself ... You can certainly file, yes. :whistle: But I would still call the USCIS to make sure it will be OK for you to handle the biometrics rescheduling part, if that proves necessary. The biometrics appointment NOA simply has a box that you check before you forward the original letter to the relevant biometrics center. No signature or anything else is required, however, there's also nothing about what happens next either, so therein lies the possibility that something could go wrong, and I don't like assuming anything will be logical when it comes to the USCIS!

I hope someone can offer you help with the children's visas. Might be worth posting that bit seperately in the relevant forum.

:time: though, it would still be very helpful! :thumbs:

Good luck with everything,

All the best,

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.