Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Divorce with spouse with 2 year GC

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

My husband is originally a citizen of another country and we were married in March 2007. He received his 2 year GC in Nov. 2007. We are having a lot of marital problems and I want to get a divorce but I need to make sure first that he will still be able to apply for his citizenship if we get a divorce within the next few months. We married for love and I have many documents that proove that we live together and share our lives together. I just need to clarify a few issues:

1. Can I get a divorce at any time or do I have to wait for some specified time period before doing so so as not to hinder my husband's chances of obtaining citizenship?

2. Is it true that once I get my decree of divorce my husband can submit the decree and an I-751 and apply for cititzenship even if it is before the 90 day window (Sept-Nov 2009) ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

1) If you are in process of divorce at the time that you need to remove conditions on the CR-Green-Card, you will need to jointly file the I-751. After getting the permanent green-card, there is no problems with filing for citizenship 5 years after initially getting the 2 year green-card.

2) NO :no: Filing I-751 is NOT filing for Citizenship, it just filing to remove conditions on a conditional green card. He will have to file an N-400 5 years after becoming a lawful Resident of the USA, or can file N-400 at 3 years if still married to you and still living with you. He can file I-751 with divorce decree requesting a waiver of joint filing as soon as a divorce is final, and this can be well before the 90 day window.

NOTE USCIS will conduct an interview to determine if the marriage was ever a bona fide one, or if it was just to get a green-card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...