forgiven

Attorney question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How many folks here used an attorney or visa service and if you did, do you think it negatively affected your interview in Manila?

Also what attorney or visa service did you use and did you think they were worth the fee charged?

Thanks,

Jeff

How many folks here used an attorney or visa service and if you did, do you think it negatively affected your interview in Manila?

Also what attorney or visa service did you use and did you think they were worth the fee charged?

Thanks,

Jeff

well its case to case basis, in my case its very difficult thats why we need attorney's assistance. we paid around $2000-3000 fee since his a family friend... he helped my father and sister in law to file the USC. but sometimes it cause delay. but its still ur sole perogative. visajourney also serve guides and reference to assist all applicants. and i believe this is the best site, for real life situations, experiences.

We didn't use an attorney and we made it through successfully. If you think your case will be a simple one (by that, I meant no irregularities or conflicts on both petitioner and beneficiary), it is best to do the paperwork on your own. Being part of this website will help you a lot. Just ask your questions and raise your concerns and a lot of us here will be happy to help you.

I am not suggesting that you don't have to use an attorney because it's all up to you. If you have all the time to work on the paperwork, I'd say doing it yourself will help you become educated with this and that. If you don't have the time but have the money to pay for attorney's services, then why not hire one, right? So it all depends on your situation and convenience.

Good luck! I heard you are about to visit your lady in the Philippines in May. I hope you'll have a good time together (which I'm sure you will). Summer has started there, fun time!

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, we did it ourselves. Unless your case is complicated with visa over stays, criminal past, prior K petitions, etc, there is no reason to use an attorney. all the info is available on here for free, and YOU still have to get all the forms, sign them all, collect all the paperwork, proofs etc and submit them to either USCIS or your attorney. Having an attorney just puts a middle man in the chain and delays the notifications on your case. Also you will be much more invested in your case than your attorney.

If you have a normal average case, save yourself the money. alot of attorneys dont have accurate info that is available on here for free. Why spent the $2000? it may look daunting but the process is fairly simple.

my fiance is here with me now and we filed last July during the glut of filings to beat the new fee increases. We didnt have any problems with any of our petition, documents or proofs.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

We considered hiring an immigration lawyer but FORTUNATELY we found this site which has been a true gem for us. We just followed the guides to the core and also followed the advise freely given by other people who have gone through the process and also carefully took notes on all the RFE experienced by other members. And VOILA! we received our RFE free NOA2(petition approval) last month and are now scheduled for interview.

We all learn from each other here. This site is like having a thousand lawyer at your disposal for free, lawyers who really care for your visa success and not just after your bucks. Lawyers who not only provide valuable information, great advise but also provide emotional support and encouragement. I'd be totally lost without this site.

But then, it is still case to case basis... If your case is complicated then by all means get a qualified and highly reliable immigration lawyer who really knows the system in and out and who knows all the latest visa buzz from the USCIS to your SO's embassy. Learn from others here who have hired lawyers. I have read a few threads here about experiences in hiring lawyers: the good, the bad, and the ugly experiences.

Best of luck to you and your fiancee. God speed.

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

We already filed before we found this forum. He had a problem with his work schedule so we hired a lawyer for $1,300. The problem was, the lawyer was not updated with the changes. Sent the I-129F to NSC instead of CSC. Found out some typo error also when I received and checked the photocopies of the papers that were submitted.

I am just waiting what will happen next. :unsure:

N-400

March 21, 2014 - Application sent thru Expressmail

March 25, 2014 - Received/Priority Date

March 26, 2014 - Check cashed

March 27, 2014 - Notice Date

April 2, 2014 - Notice for Biometrics Appointment thru email

Aprill 22, 2014 - Biometrics

April 24, 2014 - In line for interview

August 25, 2014-Scheduled for Interview

September 30, 2014 - Interview and Oath-Taking :joy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.