3 posts in this topic

Timeline

My fiancée arrived 5 weeks ago and we have just married. We have not applied for SSN yet. Question: If we come to SSA office with her passport, I-94 and marriage certificate, will they issue SS card with married name (not maiden)?

Somebody posted information here that after marriage K-1 is not valid more and it is not possible to get SSN in this case. I think that is wrong information, but I worry about that.

Probably, that couple applied for SSN after k-1 expired (I mean after 90 days)

August 1, 2005 - I-129F was sent to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->CSC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

August 6, 2005 - NOA1 was issued

August 10, 2005 - NOA1 in mail

October 19, 2005 - NOA2 was issued!

February 14, 2006 - Successful interview at Moscow

April 29, 2006 - wedding in the USA

May 15, 2006 - sent documents for AOS

May 23, 2006 - NOA date

June 13, 2006 - biometrics

June 29, 2006 - NOA for an initial interview on August 21, 2006

August 21, 2006 - Successful interview in San Francisco

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

Filed: Timeline
My fiancée arrived 5 weeks ago and we have just married. We have not applied for SSN yet. Question: If we come to SSA office with her passport, I-94 and marriage certificate, will they issue SS card with married name (not maiden)?

Somebody posted information here that after marriage K-1 is not valid more and it is not possible to get SSN in this case. I think that is wrong information, but I worry about that.

Probably, that couple applied for SSN after k-1 expired (I mean after 90 days)

Yes she can apply after getting married without an EAD card as long as she hasn't been in the U.S. 76 days. SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card if her status has expired or is within 14 days of expiring.

K-1 status is good for 90 days, so that only gives her 76 days to be assigned an SSN and issued a card. After that time she will need an EAD or I-551 card to establish authorization to work. Before that time the

I-94 showing K-1 status is the document that establishes authorization to work for SSN purposes.

The status/documents of all aliens must be verified before SSA will assign an SSN and/or issue a card and the 14 day limit applies even if she passes the 76th day while waiting for her status to be verified.

Now the name she applies with is going to depend on if the marriage certificate has her age or date of birth.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Data

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person's legal

name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the legal

name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred

after the immigration document was issued.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#G2

2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person's name AND provide:

Biographical information in addition to the person's name that the reviewer can compare with the

data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or

Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical description,

photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that can be

compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or

parents' names).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SSA office will try to verify her status through the SAVE system while she is in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the assigning of an SSN and/or issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If they can verify her work authorized status with the I-94 through SAVE this may stop them from sending the G-845 if applying with the married name:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

E. PROCEDURE—ONLINE SAVE QUERY RESPONSE INFORMATION DOES NOT AGREE WITH

IMMIGRATION DOCUMENT

1. Name

e. Applicant Has Changed His/Her Name But SAVE Query Response Shows Old Name

In some cases, the applicant may have changed his/her name after DHS

issued the immigration document (e.g., he/she has married and is now

using the spouse’s last name) but does not present an immigration

document showing the new name. In these cases, the DHS system reflects

the new name only when the person provided the name change information

to DHS and requested to have his/her immigration record changed to show

the new name.

When the SAVE query response shows the old name that is shown on the

immigration document presented and not the new name on the identity

document presented, do not consider this a name discrepancy for

enumeration purposes. See RM 00203.200 when the applicant presents an

identity document in the new name that is more recent than the

immigration document to determine if the identity document is

acceptable. Tell the applicant he/she must report the name change to DHS

so that DHS can update its records.

NOTE FROM ME: Procedure tells the SSA office to tell you to report the name change to DHS, not that the application can't be processed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that she go back to the SSA office no more than once a week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come

back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark "second request."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

After having waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem concerned about following up on the G-845 she can try contacting the SSA Regional Office (RO) responsible for your state:

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/natlpocontacts.html

Refer them to this:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

B. PROCEDURE – HOW TO REQUEST MANUAL VERIFICATION

STEP 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS

Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS.

Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS. Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated

“second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845

to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work

days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the RO. Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.