irish44

Help with sending documents to Sochi

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

"Enko" is ukrainian in origin, i believe.

The only last names in russian which are declined are possessive form or adjectives--so ivanov/a is like "johnson." It's actually an alternative to the normal genitive to indicate possession--i.e., you CAN say muzh mamy or zhena papy for stepdad and stepmom, but i think a native speaker would always say mamin muzh and papina zhena. I believe this form is used a lot more with russian names/people words (mom/dad/brother/friend)/animals to show possession than the genitive. What specific possessive ending--ov/en, in/yn, or the one which is like in the title of the bulgakov story "sobach'e serdce" (heart of the dog) has always confused me and i loathe this topic in russian grammar. I also loathe how these names have a specific declension which differs from normal noun declension.

And of course adjective names decline normally.

Rebenok is a russian word last name, but not a proper Russian last name in the sense of ivanov or whatever. Interestingly, when I was studying some Pasternak my professor told us that Jews were given last names like Pasternak (turnip, i believe) as a kind of humiliation. Maybe Rebenok is the same? Rebenok is related to "guys," pebiata, i think, but i don't remember the entymology at the moment.

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting Eekee! I also found it interesting that some first names such as "Трактор" were once popular. Perhaps this was to indicate strength?

The only last names in russian which are declined are possessive form or adjectives--so ivanov/a is like "johnson." It's actually an alternative to the normal genitive to indicate possession--i.e., you CAN say muzh mamy or zhena papy for stepdad and stepmom, but i think a native speaker would always say mamin muzh and papina zhena. I believe this form is used a lot more with russian names/people words (mom/dad/brother/friend)/animals to show possession than the genitive. What specific possessive ending--ov/en, in/yn, or the one which is like in the title of the bulgakov story "sobach'e serdce" (heart of the dog) has always confused me and i loathe this topic in russian grammar. I also loathe how these names have a specific declension which differs from normal noun declension.

Rebenok is a russian word last name, but not a proper Russian last name in the sense of ivanov or whatever. Interestingly, when I was studying some Pasternak my professor told us that Jews were given last names like Pasternak (turnip, i believe) as a kind of humiliation. Maybe Rebenok is the same? Rebenok is related to "guys," pebiata, i think, but i don't remember the entymology at the moment.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline
Interesting Eekee! I also found it interesting that some first names such as "ТÑ€акÑ‚оÑ€" were once popular. Perhaps this was to indicate strength?

Maybe it just shows an affinity for agriculture. :D

(Or maybe it's the name of a character on the Russian version of Mayberry... (I would totally watch that show because you know the guy that's always in the drunk tank would be one of the normal ones.)

Edited by mox

Timeline

Russian version of "The Andy Griffith Show"-!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting Eekee! I also found it interesting that some first names such as "Трактор" were once popular. Perhaps this was to indicate strength?

Maybe it just shows an affinity for agriculture. :D

(Or maybe it's the name of a character on the Russian version of Mayberry... (I would totally watch that show because you know the guy that's always in the drunk tank would be one of the normal ones.)

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Remember, "Johnson" can be the name of a person OR object! :lol: :lol:

Opie: Hey Aunt Bea, where's pa?

Aunt Bea: That good for nothing drunk? You know he only comes around when he needs vodka money! (laugh track)

Opie: Well I just thought he'd be around for my birthday and all.

Aunt Bea: Well Barney will be here, that should be good enough, yes?

Opie: Yeah but he's only going to be here to haul me off for army service. (laugh track)

Aunt Bea: Don't worry, he said they stop beating you when you're unconscious. (laugh track)

Opie: Gee that's swell! Looks like you're busy, you need help?

Aunt Bea: Yes please! Here's a list of American men I met on the internet. See how many you can get to send money! (laugh track)

Opie: Oh Aunt Bea, you 'ol scammer you!

Opie and Aunt Bea: (Laughs together, fade out, key music)

Timeline

Hollywood waits-!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Opie: Hey Aunt Bea, where's pa?

Aunt Bea: That good for nothing drunk? You know he only comes around when he needs vodka money! (laugh track)

Opie: Well I just thought he'd be around for my birthday and all.

Aunt Bea: Well Barney will be here, that should be good enough, yes?

Opie: Yeah but he's only going to be here to haul me off for army service. (laugh track)

Aunt Bea: Don't worry, he said they stop beating you when you're unconscious. (laugh track)

Opie: Gee that's swell! Looks like you're busy, you need help?

Aunt Bea: Yes please! Here's a list of American men I met on the internet. See how many you can get to send money! (laugh track)

Opie: Oh Aunt Bea, you 'ol scammer you!

Opie and Aunt Bea: (Laughs together, fade out, key music)

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

"Traktor" glorifies agriculture. In the early soviet union it was a trend to name your kids not traditional russian names, but instead new modern names which glorified soviet ideals--traktor, elektron, marlen (for Marxist-leninist), etc. I was reading something the other day and came across an old woman named "Stalina"--i thought it was very unfortunate.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I met a "Stalina" in Kazan' and she is only 32 or so.

"Traktor" glorifies agriculture. In the early soviet union it was a trend to name your kids not traditional russian names, but instead new modern names which glorified soviet ideals--traktor, elektron, marlen (for Marxist-leninist), etc. I was reading something the other day and came across an old woman named "Stalina"--i thought it was very unfortunate.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Ahhhh...y'know, now that you mention it I remember something about that as well. This country's done that too--lot of girls named "Reagen" were born in the late 80's, and there was another surge of the name in 2004-2005 when Reagen died. I also read a story a few years back that when the first space shuttle prototype was rolled out, a couple named their child "Enterprise."

Cool info, thanks for sharing that!

Timeline

Wonder how many W00ts have been born here? :blink:

Ahhhh...y'know, now that you mention it I remember something about that as well. This country's done that too--lot of girls named "Reagen" were born in the late 80's, and there was another surge of the name in 2004-2005 when Reagen died. I also read a story a few years back that when the first space shuttle prototype was rolled out, a couple named their child "Enterprise."

Cool info, thanks for sharing that!

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder how many W00ts have been born here? :blink:

Role call in a few years is going to be tricky.

Teacher: Roflmao?

Student: Here.

Teacher: jkjklol?

Teacher: stfu?

Teacher: a/s/l?

Student: 10/m/present.

Teacher: I quit.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I actually sent it via DHL on Saturday. It was only around $60.00. I know I could do it on the cheap using USPS but it took me many hours to gather all the info and I wanted to be able to track it so she could be home from work to receive it. I priced out Fedex for grins and it was $213.00!!

I had to ask the people at the mail place to repeat that to me..

Anyway, her name is her maiden name. Isn't an "A" only added when a girl gets married?

Can I just ask how you got a $60 rate to Sochi via DHL? Do you have some kind of frequent-DHL'er discount or something? The cheapest DHL package (DHL Express Letter) will, according to the DHL website, run me about $150. The DHL website is reporting $136 to Sochi. So...just curious. If there's a cheaper way for me to send via DHL that would be really helpful!

I believe it was a mistake on the part of the lady at my mail place! I looked it up on DHL website and it quoted $90.00, which was good in any case.

She called them when I brought the package in and that was the quote she gave me. Never using DHL before, I just thought that she got a special rate or something. She told me she was new, but sends DHL packages all the time. She was from Pakistan and may have gotten it wrong, I suppose. If they charge her back I intend to make it good.

Her father was born with the last name Rebenok in Russia, according to her 325. I believe that it is a Byelorussian or possibly Hungarian name from the Grandparents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.