supranatural

Can I schedule an interview without Packet 3 in hand?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am looking at Kiev's website for the K-1 interview process and going through the flowchart. For Kiev, the Packet 3 can be downloaded off the net, which is what I did to prepare ahead of time for my fiancee's interview. Now in the VJ K-1 guide it says some doc's will be prepared and sent to the Embassy before an interview can be scheduled. Now, according to the information from Kiev (and my assumption is that each Embassy does things a little differently apparently), the Packet that is sent out instructs the beneficiary as to what docs are required and to assemble them, then call and make an appointment for the interview. Well, if I already have downloaded the Packet 3, there doesn't seem to be any reason for my fiancee to delay gathering the documents such as police report, translated birth certificate, etc. So...it seems that we could call in and schedule the medical and interview as soon as she gets the Packet 3...or even before, as long as the Embassy has received our K-1 application from DHL (and according to tracking, it is in Germany now and getting ready for the final leg to Kiev), since I've already downloaded the Packet 3 and we will be filling out the DS156 and 156K from the downloaded packet ahead of time. Anyone see any flaw in my reasoning to get the medical and interview scheduled? BTW I will be bringing all my necessary docs to my fiancee this Thursday when I fly out to Ukraine to spend a month with her.

Timeline
I am looking at Kiev's website for the K-1 interview process and going through the flowchart. For Kiev, the Packet 3 can be downloaded off the net, which is what I did to prepare ahead of time for my fiancee's interview. Now in the VJ K-1 guide it says some doc's will be prepared and sent to the Embassy before an interview can be scheduled. Now, according to the information from Kiev (and my assumption is that each Embassy does things a little differently apparently), the Packet that is sent out instructs the beneficiary as to what docs are required and to assemble them, then call and make an appointment for the interview. Well, if I already have downloaded the Packet 3, there doesn't seem to be any reason for my fiancee to delay gathering the documents such as police report, translated birth certificate, etc. So...it seems that we could call in and schedule the medical and interview as soon as she gets the Packet 3...or even before, as long as the Embassy has received our K-1 application from DHL (and according to tracking, it is in Germany now and getting ready for the final leg to Kiev), since I've already downloaded the Packet 3 and we will be filling out the DS156 and 156K from the downloaded packet ahead of time. Anyone see any flaw in my reasoning to get the medical and interview scheduled? BTW I will be bringing all my necessary docs to my fiancee this Thursday when I fly out to Ukraine to spend a month with her.

Olga's gathering everything right now - so that on the great day when the info arrives at the embassy from NVC we can call to set up the appointment - rather than wait on the Ukrainian mail service to notify us. One thing you will need to complete the forms is the A#, if I recall correctly, and that isn't given until the petition hits the NVC.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Timeline

Just as a further note, the Kiev embassy doesn't have a packet 3 or 4 they just have what they call an "infomation packet" which has the KEV-1 checklist. You're supposed to call when you have the information complete for the embassy - not necessarily when you have their information packet in your hand. Who knows, you might get lucky and receive an interview date in one week, like someone else did a couple months ago. I've already filled out the DS1566 and sent it to Olga as well.

And So It Begins......

My Timeline:

15 Sep 2007 Engaged!

25 Jan 2008 Sent I-129F to CSC

28 Jan 2008 I-129F receipted at CSC

29 Jan 2008 NOA1

30 Jan 2008 Touched - filing box here we come....

05 Feb 2008 Hard Copy NOA1 Received in Mail

03 Jun 2008 NOA2

10 Sep 2008 Interview 9:30

16 Jan 2009 Fly back to the USA

?? ??? 2009 Wedding Bells are Ringing

Timeline

You're right, I went through the Kiev US Embassy site more thoroughly and they state that since Ukrainian mail is slow and unreliable that it's okay to download the packet and start assembling the information right away when they get the application packet from NVC. My fiancee's best friend had her interview in January, she got the appointment date 1 week after she called in to schedule it. I would imagine it's fairly fast in Kiev as it does not seem like they get a ton of applicants but who knows, I could be wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

That's exactly what we did - scheduled interview before packet was rec'd in the mail. The packet DID finally show up, but we already had interview scheduled and all documents ready. Best of luck to you.

- tJ

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size=3]------ Let's GO!!! -----[/size][/font]

29 DEC 07 File I-129F
02 JAN 08 NOA1 date
08 JAN 08 Touch
15 JAN 08 Touch
17 FEB 08 Touch (YES) Let's go Let's go.
03 MAR 08 NOA2 :)
07 MAR 08 NVC -> Kiev
11 MAR 08 Arrives @ Kiev
17 APR 08 Interview
01 MAY 08 ARRIVAL TO USA
27 JUN 08 MARRIED - KEY WEST :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.