ButterBoy

Marriage in the Phils

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello. I am going to be meeting my gf in the phils on the 28th of this month. I am lucky and will be staying 53 days with her. I want to marry her while I am there but have a few questions. I looked up http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_757.html for info and found part of what I need but it also opened up a few more questions.

#1 Do i need a birth certificate to prove my citizenship or will my passport and say drivers license be enough prof?

Upon reading this:

SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER MET THE FIANCÉ/FIANCEE:

If you have never previously met your fiancé/fiancée, it may be advisable to take copies of your written correspondence and telephone bills to document the to tvalidity of your relationship he consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. This may prevent refusal of the notarial service in connection with the issuance of your Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.

This opens a whole other can of worms...We met online in January...and after talking so much on line and on a packet 8 internet phone i sent her, we fell in love and want to get married. She is a Doctor and doesn't need me to come to the US....she could do that on her own. I would like to know if I need to print out 100's of pages of yahoo chat or can i just save as a text doc and put it on a thumb drive and present that as evidence along with my phone bills and other evidence. The second part of this can of worms is can they deny me my Affidavit based on the length of us knowing each other?

Thank you for the responses. This place rocks

Timeline

Thanks, the legal copasity to marry is done in Manila at the us embassy. I just bring my divorce decree for that. I hope thats all I need and not birth record...its lost and I leave in 2 weeks and it will take California over 2 weeks to get it to me.

I just used my passport when I got my Affidavit of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry just over a year ago. When you register for a marriage certificate at her Local Civil Registry (city hall) there will be a 10 working day hold on the MC. After the ten days you can ger maried.

As for birth certificate, I just went to the county courthouse where I was born and got the copies that day.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
I just used my passport when I got my Affidavit of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry just over a year ago. When you register for a marriage certificate at her Local Civil Registry (city hall) there will be a 10 working day hold on the MC. After the ten days you can ger maried.

As for birth certificate, I just went to the county courthouse where I was born and got the copies that day.

Thanks man, but were I was born is over 500 miles away.....so thats out of the question....If i dont need it to get married I wont worry about it till I come back to the states. Thanks

I read somewere that my girl could file early for the marriage licence and then I can get to the embassy to get that stuff done and turn it into the the place she filed. Is there any truth to that? Thanks again for the response

Dave brought his passport, birth certificate, baptismal certificate to the embassy when we went to get his affidavit in lieu of legal capacity to marry but the consul only looked at his passport. After that, we went to the city hall and applied for a marriage license. There really is no way to get around the 10-day waiting period unless your fiancee knows someone from "inside" the city hall or someone quite powerful to twist that rule. If she works for the government, she might be able to talk her way through with the person in charge of that. She can't file it on her own because you have to be present to take the oath stating that u are free to marry and attend a seminar about family planning and women's protection together. The 10 days include weekends but the release of the license is only during office hours so if the 10th day falls on a saturday, u'll get it on a Monday.

Good luck :)

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

When I went in November to marry my honey, all I brought was my divorce papers, and my passport. Didn't need to take any class or seminar. He just made me raise my right hand and I took a oath that I was telling the truth.

My wife had to wait outside because she didn't even have a I.D.!! The officer asked what is your wife walking around without a I.D. for. and I said I don't have any idea. But I told him she is getting one after today.

Since she was from Bacolod City, we went to Cebu. Man!, what a adventure that was. I thought we were going to be around 6 hours on taking a barge over but it turned into a overnight escapade. First it was bus for two hours, then a boat for a hour or so. And then back on the bus. We didn't even bring any coats or overnight items with us.

By the time we got to the consular at the Waterfront Hotel, it was closed for the day and had to get a hotel. Actually it was kind of fun! It was like a adventure off a movie.

But that's all you need. Your passport and divorce papers if you were married. Hope this helps.

martinbr

Timeline

Well he uncle happens to be a politician lol, but dont want to play that card yet....maybe he can help speed up the paper work part in the Philippines lol, kidding...hmm maybe....hehe.

So cool I dont need to worry about my birth cirt....life is good. Thanks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

becarefull if the embassy looks real good and see the license was issued before the 10 day waiting period they could give you trouble at the interview

Meet .......6-15-06

Married in Quezon City....3-02-07

I-130

04-18-07....I-130

05-03-07....NOA1

05-07-07....Transfered to CSC

10-19-07....I130 APPROVED !!!!

10-26-07....Received NOA2 in mail

------------------

I-129F

05-08-07....Filed I129F

05-16-07....NOA1

05-21-07....Touched

06-05-07....Transfered to CSC

06-11-07....Notice of Transfer to CSC, received in mail

06-16-07....Email notice case is in CSC office and pending

06-18-07....Touched

06-19-07....Touched

10-19-07....I129F APPROVED !!!!

10-26-07....Received NOA2 in mail

11-08-07....NVC Received papers, MNL.......... number given to me!!!!

11-16-07....Received letter from NVC with case number

11-13-07....Sent to Manila

12-26-07....St.Lukes medical

01-07-08....Interview at Embassey !!!!!!!!!!!

01-18-08....Visa in hand !!!!!

02-19-08....Fly to Pennsylvannia

02-20-08....Arrived in Erie at last!!!!!

AOS

09-19-08....Packet sent by USPS

09-22-08....Packet accepted in Chicago per track -n- confirm

09-25-08....NOA for I-485

10-06-08....Biometrics on 10-17-08 Cleveland Oh.

01-13-09....I-485 interview in Pittsburgh

01-13-09....Interview done APPROVED!!!!!!!!

01-29-09....GREEN CARD IS IN HAND!!!!!!!!

03-07-09....SSN is finally here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.