Fettman

Best Value Way to Call Russia?

98 posts in this topic

Guys, when you take your call history to the interview, it's not really necessary to have an itemized, printed sheet of "proof" that you talk on the phone. Take a couple of phone cards or simply explain how you use SMS or web chat or instant messenger or whatever. They don't need a mountain of evidence.

I believe the best thing to do is have your plane ticket stubs, hotel receipts, etc. (proof of meeting) a dozen pictures or so, a couple hand-written letters, a couple printed e-mails, and a couple of phone cards/bills/print-outs/whatever. Couple the physical evidence with your new "letter of intent" and you're all set.

Don't sweat the evidence and "proof" of an on-going relationship too much. Simply paint the picture that they're looking to see. (And it can be paint by numbers, doesn't have to be a Picasso. Although I don't know if Picasso would help them see what they want to see anymore than a paint by numbers. But you get the idea. Rembrandt. We'll say Rembrandt.)

I did like slim suggests. I didnt have call records, but I had email reciepts of the calling cards I purchased and I printed out a few of the email confirmations and added them to the packet. I think 5 emails across a range of dates. Copies of boarding passes from my trip between when we filed and the interview. About 20 pictures of us together, and a new letter of intent from both of us. The only thing they wanted to see we didnt have was pictures of my house in America. She has some but didnt bring them and when she told them that she didnt bring them, only pictures of us together, they told her no problem, thats ok.

I hear about people taking binders that are 6 inches thick and weigh 5 lbs. My proof was only about 1/2 inch thick in documentation and 20 pictures.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Everything I sent fit easily into a 1" binder. The pictures I put into an el-cheapo small photo album.

I included itemized call records, and while it may not be strictly necessary, it took 10 minutes of my life to print them out, hole punch them, and stick them in a folder. And since phone calls have been the primary way we've interacted over the last 6 months, it makes sense to me to paint that particular picture as accurately as possible. Had our primary interaction been via email I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Yes, there's a point when all you're doing is making your poor girl's arm tired as she lugs your piles of evidence from hotel to metro to embassy, but there's nothing wrong either with being completely prepared and then some.

I hear about people taking binders that are 6 inches thick and weigh 5 lbs. My proof was only about 1/2 inch thick in documentation and 20 pictures.

When we went to the AOS interview, I had a couple documents and photos in a manilla legal folder. Another couple that came in had the 3" binder and a box of stuff. I thought, "Wow! What an interesting relationship they must have!"

Yes, there's a point when all you're doing is making your poor girl's arm tired as she lugs your piles of evidence from hotel to metro to embassy, but there's nothing wrong either with being completely prepared and then some.

Totally agreed, I just think it's important for folks to know that there's no need to stress about not having 10 pages of call history if they don't have it. Sure, err on the side of having too much, but remember, they only need "proof", not "overwhelming proof."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
What services are people here using and which ones have good quality? I am looking for something inexpensive, but at the same time I am trying to find a service that has pretty good voice quality. It can be calling cards or an internet service, but I would prefer something that I can use over the phone. I call her at work due to the time difference and the web filter interferes with Skype and other services. So, any practical advise will be great and I am not looking for the cheapest one, but something that will give me good quality at a reasonable rate. Thanks!

- Steven

When my fiance was back in Russia for a month over the holidays, I used a prepaid (virtual) card from www.enjoyprepaid.com. For calling her mobile phone, the actual cost was $0.067 per minute billed in 5-minute increments, and the quality is usually quite good. The actual cost you pay depends on the plan you buy, which for me was the Ruby plan. What they advertise is lower than reality, so keep that in mind. For my plan, they advertised $0.054 per minute for mobile phones, but reality was $0.067. For land lines, they advertise $0.009 to Moscow, $0.013 to St. Petersburg, and $0.029 elsewhere in Russia. In Moscow and St. Petersburg they provide access numbers to use the same card to call back to the US.

The same company has cheaper, but less flexible, plans for Russia found at www.nobelcom.com. I have used NobelCom extensively while my fiance is in the UAE. But with the NobelCom cards keep in mind you must choose whether you will be calling a mobile phone or a land line because they are separate cards. You only get the rate for your card when calling the appropriate kind of phone and target location. They advertise $0.009 for their card specific to Moscow, $0.011 for their card specific to St. Petersburg, $0.022 for their card for all of Russia, and $0.044 for their card for Russian mobile phones.

Both EnjoyPrepaid and NobelCom are the same company using the same network. There is an additional $0.99 weekly charge (every Monday) to maintain the account as long as it has a balance. They offer pin-less dialing from a list of up 6 phone numbers. When I call from my Nokia mobile phone, I have the access and pin numbers programmed into it so it is still 1-touch dialing to call her. As I already said, the quality is usually pretty good although sometimes you get dropped calls. (It's possible some of those were when my fiance's mobile phone lost its signal.) I can't even call my parents here in the US for rates anywhere near that low, so I'm happy with these cards. They also occasionally offer 10% discounts over certain holidays for puchasing more time. For example, just before Easter I added $100 to the card for only $90.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

my fiance lives in Ukraine and I have provided a device called MagicJack for her. As long as she has high speed internet service at home ( it needs to be a minimum of 80k up and down so dial up does not work), this device is simple and easy to use. It is amazing because the device is assigned a USA phone number, and then from that device, a call can be placed to anywhere in the USA or Canada for FREE. To get a Magicjack, it is 39.99 up front, which includes the device and the first year of service. Each year after that is only 19.99 a YEAR--not a month or by the minute. I actually purchased two of them, thinking I needed one for myself and I shipped the other to her. I realized later that I did not need one because I can use my cell phone to call her MagicJack number since it is an Illinois phone number and I get long distance for free on my cell. (they do not yet offer numbers for every state, but as soon as they have them for Indiana where I live, I will change the number so every call will be a local call!) The best part of this is she can call me at any time now, and it costs her nothing! We have used this many times with great success. If we place a call and the voice is choppy (face it, the internet service is not the greatest in Ukraine...hahaha), simply rebooting the computer usually clears up that issue. I was looking mainly for a way for her to call me since outgoing international calls are extremely expensive, and I already had VoIP at home and could call her for .10 a minute. However, an extra added benefit is for future expenses. I know when Sveta and her daughter arrive to me in the USA later this year, they will often need/want to call back home to talk to family. When Sveta moves to the USA, her sister will maintain her apartment and the internet connection, and the MagicJack will remain in Ukraine. Sveta can call the number the same way I do now, and she can speak to her sister, or arrange a time for her mother to come visit and speak to her, too. And it will cost me nothing but 19.99 a year! Oh, I sent my second one to her best friend, who married and moved to Germany, so she could connect it and they will be able to speak to each other. The friend has not yet hooked up MagicJack, but we hope she will soon!

The basics are computer with USB2.0 ports (virtually any built in the last 2 or 3 years) and high speed internet...MagicJack plugs into the USB, then a regular telephone that you would use at home (corded or cordless) connects directly to the MagicJack box. The program for MagicJack is contained on the device, and after the initial file updates at first connection, the program starts automatically each time the unit is plugged back in. (but you could leave it plugged in all the time if the computer is left on). It also comes with voice mail, call waiting, and the other options you would expect. For the initial investment, I think it is a wonderful device and I expect it to save me hundreds of dollars after she moves to be with me. Oh, I am sitting in her apartment as I write this, and I was able to work remotely today, and used MagicJack to call my coworker. I strongly recommend you at least check out the device at http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp and NO, I am not employed by them! One additional word, though. As some have mentioned before, if your company firewall blocks ports needed by Skype and others, this unit will probably also be blocked for placing calls. However, you would not need one in the USA since your loved one can call YOU for free if you send them a MagicJack. Oh, it should be wonderful for traveling, too, since most hotels offer free highspeed internet (wired or wireless will work---I am working wirelessly at this time since I installed router in her apartment)

I am sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make as many points so as not to confuse anyone! If anyone has questions, feel free to message me and I will get back with you as soon as I can.

Chris

Jan 26, 2012...mailed N-400 for wife

Feb 2, 2012..check cashed

Feb 3, 2012 NOA email and text message

Feb 7, 2012 NOA hard copy in mail

March 14, 2012 email stating in line for interview scheduling

March 15, 2012 email stating the interview was scheduled and we should be receiving the letter

3-17 interview letter in the mail--scheudled for 4-19-12

4-19 Wife passed interview! Oath to be scheduled

5-24 Oath ceremony! new US citizen

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
If you have a high speed internet connection on both ends, why not just use skype? it's free and clear and has video... I wouldn't pay 19.99 for what I can get for free.

skype isnt that realiable, and its not that easy to find broadband connections in russia unless its moscow.

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

Timeline

Skype is usually very reliable skype-to-skype and the magicjack thing requires broadband as well.

If you have a high speed internet connection on both ends, why not just use skype? it's free and clear and has video... I wouldn't pay 19.99 for what I can get for free.

skype isnt that realiable, and its not that easy to find broadband connections in russia unless its moscow.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline
Skype is usually very reliable skype-to-skype and the magicjack thing requires broadband as well.

thats what I am saying if there is no broadband in russia its useless. And skype is far from being reliable. There are other options to have digital unlimited calls from US for like 20 bux. The only drawback the person in US will initate all the calls. The good thing is its cheap.

:)

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline

Do you use skype? I talk on it for several hours a day with no problem. The sound quality isn't so great when calling a cell phone, but skype-to-skype is clearer than domestic landline-to-landline.

thats what I am saying if there is no broadband in russia its useless. And skype is far from being reliable. There are other options to have digital unlimited calls from US for like 20 bux. The only drawback the person in US will initate all the calls. The good thing is its cheap.

:)

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I use skype daily that is why i am aware of problems

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline

skype to skype

skype to cell

skype to landline

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline
strange... maybe i'm just lucky :D

skype to skype

skype to cell

skype to landline

probably

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.