karakmitchell

Clarification needed about naturalization after K-1

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, this is a long way down the road for my fiance, but I have a couple of questions and I would really appreciate any help/advice/resources you have to offer.

First of all, I was reading about the naturalization requirements on the government website. One requirement is you must renounce any foreign allegiance. Does that mean give up citizenship in another country? My fiance is from Mexico and I thought (maybe naively) that there was dual citizenship available.

Secondly, another requirement is you must reside for 5 years as a lawful permanent resident. So, since we're filing a K-1, we're looking at somewhere 7 or more years down the road we can file for naturalization?

Hypothetically, what happens if we do the K-1, he comes, and we move abroad after a couple of years? Do we just reapply via DCF to come back home to the US? Does is look bad that we abandoned the process after the K-1? I guess this is my BIG question now because I don't know if we'll be able to commit to 7 consecutive years here without long absences. :unsure:

ANY help/ideas/personal experiences are much appreciated!

Naturalization (N-400)

5/17/2010 application sent to Texas Lockbox

5/20/2010 check cashed

5/25/2010 NOA

6/07/2010 biometrics letter received

6/16/2010 biometrics appointment

Filed: Other Timeline

read the other threads here in vj, as well as the FAQ. All of your questions are answered here.

He can apply for naturalization only 3 years (as a spouse of a USC) after he gets permanent resident status. After his arrival with the K1, how quickly you get married and apply to AOS will depend on exactly how long it will be til he can apply for citizenship. Yes, he can have dual citizenship, if he wants it, and can choke out the oath. ;) The oath does require one to say they will renounce all other citizenships, however, its not generally enforced, and his home country may not recognize that unless he physically renounces it with an official from his country.

If you choose to live outside the US before he has his citizenship, then he will have to apply for a re-entry permit (if you're only gone for 1 year and if he's got his permanent resident status) or for a new type of immigrant visa (if you're gone for more than a year). DCF is not available in all countries, and in some cases only if the USC is a dual-citizen or legal permanent resident of that country.

If he leaves before he's got his Green Card, then he'll have to start over from scratch, for either a K3, or CR1 visa.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the response. I think I found the information you mentioned now too :blush: Thanks!!

Naturalization (N-400)

5/17/2010 application sent to Texas Lockbox

5/20/2010 check cashed

5/25/2010 NOA

6/07/2010 biometrics letter received

6/16/2010 biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.