Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 6)

13,621 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Watched a bit of this, found it really interesting...

Three flights are due into Montego Bay, one from Toronto, one from Fort Lauderdale, the other from London. Every year over 80,000 middle-aged women flock to Jamaica in search of the "big bamboo." They are not necessarily into long-term relationships, but many return regularly to their island boy who sport Rastafarian-style dreadlocks, bringing money and gifts like jewelry and designer sneakers, a practice called “rent a rasta.” But who are the real Rastafari and how do they feel about being used to market everything Jamaican? A controversial glimpse into a paradise laced with cultural misunderstandings and socioeconomic inequities. *********

An excerpt of the narrative from the documentary contains an interview with Karen, an English- woman from Devon. In it, she reveals her reason for visiting Jamaica without any qualms. “I’m not naïve, I’ve been around the block. I come for sex, of course the sun, but mostly the sex.” A forty-five-year-old Caucasian woman from Chicago voiced the view that American women come to Negril because they are able to get what they cannot get at home. “A girl who no one looks at twice gets hit on all the time here, all these guys are paying her attention, telling her she’s really beautiful, and they really want her. In Chicago this could never happen. Here it is like a secret, a fantasy…and then you go home.” In addition to an exploration of Jamaica’s sex tourism, the documentary also delves into the world of Rastafari. “It epitomises Caribbean sex tourism with a twist in that it humanises Jamaicans who “fill milk bottles” (local slang for white women) and at the same time opens a path of understanding to contemporary Rasta culture, rather unknown to western audiences.”

Rastafari have been greatly underestimated by the outside world. The classical Rastas were sophisticated theological and philosophical thinkers, not cultists worshiping newspaper photos of an African King. They discovered many sophisticated theological concepts for themselves and had retraced many of the Christological and other debates of the early Church. They brought forth a rich cultural and artistic legacy, including some of the twentieth century's most moving hymnography.

For anyone who is interested.

http://rapidshare.com/users/GJ8SSJ

rent.a.rasta.2007.dvdrip.xvid-yardvid

700mb

You know, I've heard this before...actually I heard the term "rent a dread", instead of a rasta... I didn't click on the link, but does the link explain the difference between a real rasta, and just a jamaican man? And while I know this goes on all over, why is this practice primarily associated with Negril? I have seen/read more than one article that describes this practice, and each one mentioned Negril SPECIFICALLY...do they have "rent a dread" booths or something? :blink: At any rate, to some extent these women who do this are right...Folks in American society are preoccupied with aesthetics, and if you don't fit the mold or "standard of what is beautiful" then it's more difficult for you...not impossible, but can be more difficult. There's typically a lot more proving you have to do, and some folks, (not all), but some have to try so much harder to be accepted and liked. Whether we agree with that or not, it's the truth and we all know it...just go into your local elementary school and ask a 3rd grader...Jamaica can be like a fantasy for some, but I also wish that these women who do this would take the time to really look at what a lot of these men are dealing with, where they come from, and who they are. They are after all real people with a real story to tell. If these women actually listened, do you think they would stick around and keep coming back?? Not sure. But I do know that exploitation is wrong on ALL sides, and that one day I look foward to when women don't have to travel halfway across the world to be appreciated for the beauty that they possess outside and in by some random-azz dude because those closest to them are unwilling/unable to see it.

I just find it sad all the way around. Exploitation from both sides is the very definition of what they are doing.

And, what you were saying, Mrs. P.....it happens in so many more countries then just Jamaica....from both men and women. If you read other forums on here, you will find they talk about the same thing. It just seems because this documentary was made, Negril gets a lot of publicity for it. Also, if you really search the net, you will find that women from Jamaica are doing the same thing to foreign men and it is being talked about.

You know, I've heard this before...actually I heard the term "rent a dread", instead of a rasta... I didn't click on the link, but does the link explain the difference between a real rasta, and just a jamaican man? And while I know this goes on all over, why is this practice primarily associated with Negril? I have seen/read more than one article that describes this practice, and each one mentioned Negril SPECIFICALLY...do they have "rent a dread" booths or something? :blink: At any rate, to some extent these women who do this are right...Folks in American society are preoccupied with aesthetics, and if you don't fit the mold or "standard of what is beautiful" then it's more difficult for you...not impossible, but can be more difficult. There's typically a lot more proving you have to do, and some folks, (not all), but some have to try so much harder to be accepted and liked. Whether we agree with that or not, it's the truth and we all know it...just go into your local elementary school and ask a 3rd grader...Jamaica can be like a fantasy for some, but I also wish that these women who do this would take the time to really look at what a lot of these men are dealing with, where they come from, and who they are. They are after all real people with a real story to tell. If these women actually listened, do you think they would stick around and keep coming back?? Not sure. But I do know that exploitation is wrong on ALL sides, and that one day I look foward to when women don't have to travel halfway across the world to be appreciated for the beauty that they possess outside and in by some random-azz dude because those closest to them are unwilling/unable to see it.

A TRUE Rasta is perhaps akin to an Orthodox Jew or a devout Muslim.

There are certain religious principles that he would live by, certain things that he would and would not do.

I think Negril is hugely commercialized, there are more tourists going to Negril as opposed to other parts of Jamaica. It's a simple case of supply and demand.

In some cases, I think the women are fully aware that the men are selling themselves, nothing wrong with a BUSINESS deal if that's what BOTH parties signed up for...The problem in my eyes occurs when the woman thinks the man is REALLY interested in her, not just the green card and the material comforts she is providing.....

Which, sadly, does happen all the time.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Watched a bit of this, found it really interesting...

Three flights are due into Montego Bay, one from Toronto, one from Fort Lauderdale, the other from London. Every year over 80,000 middle-aged women flock to Jamaica in search of the "big bamboo." They are not necessarily into long-term relationships, but many return regularly to their island boy who sport Rastafarian-style dreadlocks, bringing money and gifts like jewelry and designer sneakers, a practice called “rent a rasta.” But who are the real Rastafari and how do they feel about being used to market everything Jamaican? A controversial glimpse into a paradise laced with cultural misunderstandings and socioeconomic inequities. *********

An excerpt of the narrative from the documentary contains an interview with Karen, an English- woman from Devon. In it, she reveals her reason for visiting Jamaica without any qualms. “I’m not naïve, I’ve been around the block. I come for sex, of course the sun, but mostly the sex.” A forty-five-year-old Caucasian woman from Chicago voiced the view that American women come to Negril because they are able to get what they cannot get at home. “A girl who no one looks at twice gets hit on all the time here, all these guys are paying her attention, telling her she’s really beautiful, and they really want her. In Chicago this could never happen. Here it is like a secret, a fantasy…and then you go home.” In addition to an exploration of Jamaica’s sex tourism, the documentary also delves into the world of Rastafari. “It epitomises Caribbean sex tourism with a twist in that it humanises Jamaicans who “fill milk bottles” (local slang for white women) and at the same time opens a path of understanding to contemporary Rasta culture, rather unknown to western audiences.”

Rastafari have been greatly underestimated by the outside world. The classical Rastas were sophisticated theological and philosophical thinkers, not cultists worshiping newspaper photos of an African King. They discovered many sophisticated theological concepts for themselves and had retraced many of the Christological and other debates of the early Church. They brought forth a rich cultural and artistic legacy, including some of the twentieth century's most moving hymnography.

For anyone who is interested.

http://rapidshare.com/users/GJ8SSJ

rent.a.rasta.2007.dvdrip.xvid-yardvid

700mb

Lawd ave merci...not dis again...if my cell phone had the technology to take picutres or record VIDEO back in the early 90s I would have been a MILLIONAIRE by now......and as far as what I've seen it's always been like that especially in NEGRIL. Oh well, to each his own. Fi dem business...

LOL - I think this is a topic that will never die - If you have spent any time in Negril, you have seen it like crazy - The term rent a dread is appropriate - My friends can be kinda clueless - the first few trips, they danced and talked with someone (not necessarily a dread), and then the next am, the man was waiting for them on the beach, and got pissed if they tried to talk to anyone else. Unfortunately, many naive women fall prey to it and think they are the one and only - It also works the other way, in that some women travel there and have their fun, and meet a nice guy that they end up hurting. What pisses me off about it all is how much they stress what the women are doing - I have never seen as many female hookers anywhere else in JA - or as many older men who travel down there and spend time with these young girls -

I have not seen it myself.....the girls part.....but, you know me and my scouring the internet.....there is talk. It's just not as well publicized.

Funny, I've been to Negril and not seen anything I would remotely call this. Now, Mo Bay, yes, yes, yes. And, I would not confine it to the beaches. I had a guy who told me he was a rasta hit on me so hard, I thought I was going to have to find security at Coral Cliffs. Andre was just feet away most of the time.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Morning!

I have a questions.....now that I finally have my NOA2 and I have verified the petition has been sent to the Embassy in JA and now I am waiting for the Packet 3 to be sent to my fiance.....do we just have to wait until he gets that, completes all the requirements and gets it back to the Embassy before they will schedule an interview? What can I expect? How long should I wait before I start bugging the embassy to make sure they mailed out the packet 3?

TAKING A ROUGH LIFE EASY

Timeline

]What pisses me off about it all is how much they stress what the women are doing - I have never seen as many female hookers anywhere else in JA - or as many older men who travel down there and spend time with these young girls -[/b][/b]

Here, Here!! Ain't that the truth.

Edited by Ms. Hellwig

TAKING A ROUGH LIFE EASY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey guys!

How is everyone?

JG..any adoption news?

Gill- getting ready for a WEDDING?!?!?!

Lita-any interview news????

Today marks day 200 for me..still no NOA2.

Sometimes I feel like the forgotten child on the island of misfits :)

No, all kidding aside...I don't know what to even do.

Thanks for all the concern and prayers!

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Filed: Timeline
Good Morning!

I have a questions.....now that I finally have my NOA2 and I have verified the petition has been sent to the Embassy in JA and now I am waiting for the Packet 3 to be sent to my fiance.....do we just have to wait until he gets that, completes all the requirements and gets it back to the Embassy before they will schedule an interview? What can I expect? How long should I wait before I start bugging the embassy to make sure they mailed out the packet 3?

Ms. H;

Heck no. Some people never receive packet 3. Your fiance maybe lucky. I printed the forms and took it with me when I went last month. I requested an appt (through e-mail to the embassy) to drop it off. You'll need to put your KINGSTON number in the subject line along with your fiance's name. They sent my an appt immediately. When I came back from my trip I had an e-mail with the interview date, which I confirmed with the Dept. of State. They also sent me packet 4, because I told them I would attend the interview and I requested it. My girl if you have any questions, just e-mail the embassy. They've always answered all my questions.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

[/b]

Here, Here!! Ain't that the truth.

Wrong. It happens all the time. Just not as PC in Jamaica to report it.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hey guys!

How is everyone?

JG..any adoption news?

Gill- getting ready for a WEDDING?!?!?!

Lita-any interview news????

Today marks day 200 for me..still no NOA2.

Sometimes I feel like the forgotten child on the island of misfits :)

No, all kidding aside...I don't know what to even do.

Thanks for all the concern and prayers!

Hang in there, Shrewdie. Soon come.

I filled out all the pre-adoption screening paperwork for the CDA. Waiting for the package to come from JA with SP's birth papers, his mom's death certificate, and Andre's high school certificate (not related to this convo.) to come. MIL says she mailed it on Wednesday. So, hopefully, sometime next week or the following. Thanks for asking.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Hi Everyone. Earlier Clairern and Malita answered a question I had about the Form DS230. They mentioned that the documents (police certificate etc.) would be sent to the NVC for the CR1 visa. Will the husband have to take these same documents again to the Embassy in Kingston when he gets an interview date? If not, what should he have prepared to take to the interview? Thanks again in advance!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good Morning!

Ms. H;

Heck no. Some people never receive packet 3. Your fiance maybe lucky. I printed the forms and took it with me when I went last month. I requested an appt (through e-mail to the embassy) to drop it off. You'll need to put your KINGSTON number in the subject line along with your fiance's name. They sent my an appt immediately. When I came back from my trip I had an e-mail with the interview date, which I confirmed with the Dept. of State. They also sent me packet 4, because I told them I would attend the interview and I requested it. My girl if you have any questions, just e-mail the embassy. They've always answered all my questions.

right we never got it and it delayed our process by a month. Send in the ds-230 from now so they can schedule you for an interview date.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
Hi Everyone. Earlier Clairern and Malita answered a question I had about the Form DS230. They mentioned that the documents (police certificate etc.) would be sent to the NVC for the CR1 visa. Will the husband have to take these same documents again to the Embassy in Kingston when he gets an interview date? If not, what should he have prepared to take to the interview? Thanks again in advance!

Yes. And, that has been a big issue lately.....people sending them to the NVC and thinking, oh, they have them, so why bother. He needs to take them with him as well.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Wrong. It happens all the time. Just not as PC in Jamaica to report it.

No - I agree it happens all time. I was just pointing out the irony of what is reported or focused on and what isn't.

TAKING A ROUGH LIFE EASY

Yes. And, that has been a big issue lately.....people sending them to the NVC and thinking, oh, they have them, so why bother. He needs to take them with him as well.

Ok. Is he taking with him orginals again or the copies he made for himself when he sent them to NVC? For example, should he get 2 police certificates and keep one for himself, OR photocopies are sufficient? Is taking them to the interview a requirement or just a precautionary measure?

A friend of the family had an interview last month CR/1 and although she had everything they needed...they asked her for a copy of the I-130 and more wedding pictures (had them at the interview). They also asked her what took so long for her husband to file for her (they've been married 6 years). Does this make sense? They rescheduled her interview for June 24th. The I-130 was in the file...she received an e-mail from the embassy apologizing about the I-130 copy, but they can't get her in any sooner. She's fustrated.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
No - I agree it happens all time. I was just pointing out the irony of what is reported or focused on and what isn't.

Seems kind of a double standard, doesn't it?

Ok. Is he taking with him orginals again or the copies he made for himself when he sent them to NVC? For example, should he get 2 police certificates and keep one for himself, OR photocopies are sufficient? Is taking them to the interview a requirement or just a precautionary measure?

I'm guessing he hasn't applied for the police certificate yet. He will get 2 of them.

He needs originals.

It has been a requirement lately. I would not risk not taking them.

A friend of the family had an interview last month CR/1 and although she had everything they needed...they asked her for a copy of the I-130 and more wedding pictures (had them at the interview). They also asked her what took so long for her husband to file for her (they've been married 6 years). Does this make sense? They rescheduled her interview for June 24th. The I-130 was in the file...she received an e-mail from the embassy apologizing about the I-130 copy, but they can't get her in any sooner. She's fustrated.

Oh, honey.....nothing makes sense in the process.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.