Army_Wife

W7 tax form

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thought I'd just remind everyone that it's coming up to tax filing time again in the US ..... and for those who don't know, but would like to file jointly with their spouses can, even without a SSN.

The link below takes you to the W7 tax form for you to fill out and send to your spouse. Print off the pages and read the instructions carefully.

As a foreign national not living in the US you can still file jointly as married.

I have personally seen a benefit to this as 'possibly' it will mean more of a tax refund, and also a copy could be sent in with your AOS financial form ..... therefore showing more proof of a marriage in my books.

It makes another financial tie which I feel would look good.

Make sure you keep photocopies of all forms sent to the tax office! .... more stuff for you to take to your interview just incase :thumbs:

As a foreign national all you have to do ..... according to the instructions attached to the form .....is send with the W7 a certified copy of your passport. This covers all the necessary identification documentation and proof of foreign nationality ..... you will not need a SSN.

Therefore, you should be able to find a lawyer who can do this quite cheaply for you in your own country.

In England ..... for those from here, it is costing me £5 to get each document certified .... I'm going for biographic page and the cover of the passport .... so it will be £10 .... I can't see it costing £100's, but do call around.

They're not asking for it to be notarised .... only certified.

Send the form and certified copy of your passport ASAP to your spouse in the US (I'd use a postal service which requires a signature at the end, to make sure it gets there) and all he/she has to do is send it with his/her tax form when filed.

You will then be issued a tax number in your own name ..... and it will be sent to the address which you enter into the applicant's mailing address section (I'm putting my US address in this section).

I hope this has been helpful :pop:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

I will also post this in the I-R1/C-R1 forum.

Thought I'd just remind everyone that it's coming up to tax filing time again in the US ..... and for those who don't know, but would like to file jointly with their spouses can, even without a SSN.

The link below takes you to the W7 tax form for you to fill out and send to your spouse. Print off the pages and read the instructions carefully.

As a foreign national not living in the US you can still file jointly as married.

I have personally seen a benefit to this as 'possibly' it will mean more of a tax refund, and also a copy could be sent in with your AOS financial form ..... therefore showing more proof of a marriage in my books.

It makes another financial tie which I feel would look good.

Make sure you keep photocopies of all forms sent to the tax office! .... more stuff for you to take to your interview just incase :thumbs:

As a foreign national all you have to do ..... according to the instructions attached to the form .....is send with the W7 a certified copy of your passport. This covers all the necessary identification documentation and proof of foreign nationality ..... you will not need a SSN.

Therefore, you should be able to find a lawyer who can do this quite cheaply for you in your own country.

In England ..... for those from here, it is costing me £5 to get each document certified .... I'm going for biographic page and the cover of the passport .... so it will be £10 .... I can't see it costing £100's, but do call around.

They're not asking for it to be notarised .... only certified.

Send the form and certified copy of your passport ASAP to your spouse in the US (I'd use a postal service which requires a signature at the end, to make sure it gets there) and all he/she has to do is send it with his/her tax form when filed.

You will then be issued a tax number in your own name ..... and it will be sent to the address which you enter into the applicant's mailing address section (I'm putting my US address in this section).

I hope this has been helpful :pop:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

I will also post this in the I-R1/C-R1 forum.

Just so everyone knows, I called the IRS about filing a W-7. They said no problem to send the documentation with my return. The downfall is you are not eligible for the tax rebate coming in May. Any tax return associated with an application for TIN will not receive it. This also applies to amending later on. So with that information in mind I decided to go ahead and file married separate. Just thought you all might find this helpfull.

Married in Bosnia 05/26/2007

Sent I-130: August 15, 2007

Received NOA1: October 3, 2007

Sent I-129F: October 4, 2007

I-129F NOA2: April 3, 2008

NVC Received: April 22, 2008

Left NVC: May 15, 2008

Interview: June 18, 2008

U.S. Entry: August 11, 2008

AOS

Sent AOS package VIA Certfied Priority USPS: May 28, 2009

Arrived at lockbox: May 31, 2009

Signed by R. Mercedo May 31, 2009 10:23 p.m.

Received AOS & EAD NOA1 June 8, 2009: NOA Date June 4, 2009

Received Biometrics Appointment Letter June 13, 2009 Appt date June 24, 2009

I-485 & I-765 Touched June 25, 2009

EAD Card Production ordered 07/10/2009

EAD Received in mail 07/20/2009

Received Interview letter 8/1/09 Interview 09/15/09

GREEN CARD APPROVED; PASSPORT STAMPED

Any tax return associated with an application for TIN will not receive it.[/font] This also applies to amending later on. So with that information in mind I decided to go ahead and file married separate. Just thought you all might find this helpfull.

Curious, where did you get the info that Any tax return associated with an application for TIN will not receive it ,when I called the IRS I was told that I (US Citizen with a Social Security #) would still receive a rebate but would not for my foreign wife or daughter as they would have a TIN

Married Wendy (Dominican) in Aruba

Filed at CSC

Embassy Caracas

Form 1-130

----------------

4/30/2007 I-130 Sent

5/23/2007 I-130 (NOA1) Received

12/13/2007 Approved - Total 231 Days

Form 1-129F

----------------

5/26/2007 I-129F Sent

6/28/2007 I-129F (NOA1)

7/12/2007 Case transferred to California Service Center

7/17/2007 Case received and pending at CSC

12/13/2007 Approved - Total 199 Days

After Approval (Estimated 3 Months to Interview)

----------------

NVC Received : Jan 10, 2008

NVC Left : Jan 14, 2008

Consulate Received : Jan 16, 2008

Packet 3 Received : Sent Embassy an email on Jan 18 telling that I had all the forms listed on their website complete

Packet 3 Sent : Received on email from Embassy on Jan 24 with interview date

Packet 4 Received : No Packet 4

Interview Date : Feb 28, 2008

Visa Received : Feb 29, 2008

US Entry : Feb 29, 2008

Form 1-485 and EAD

----------------

4/14/2008 I-485 Sent

4/21/2008 I-485 (NOA1)

5/15/2008 Biometric Appt

Any tax return associated with an application for TIN will not receive it.[/font] This also applies to amending later on. So with that information in mind I decided to go ahead and file married separate. Just thought you all might find this helpfull.

Curious, where did you get the info that Any tax return associated with an application for TIN will not receive it ,when I called the IRS I was told that I (US Citizen with a Social Security #) would still receive a rebate but would not for my foreign wife or daughter as they would have a TIN

I called IRS at 800-829-1040 they said that if I file married joint and there is any TIN associated that would disqualify me to get any rebate. They also made a point to tell me if I file married separate, receive my rebate then amend later to married filing joint I would owe the rebate to the IRS. The lady I spoke with had me on hold talking with her supervisor about this.

Married in Bosnia 05/26/2007

Sent I-130: August 15, 2007

Received NOA1: October 3, 2007

Sent I-129F: October 4, 2007

I-129F NOA2: April 3, 2008

NVC Received: April 22, 2008

Left NVC: May 15, 2008

Interview: June 18, 2008

U.S. Entry: August 11, 2008

AOS

Sent AOS package VIA Certfied Priority USPS: May 28, 2009

Arrived at lockbox: May 31, 2009

Signed by R. Mercedo May 31, 2009 10:23 p.m.

Received AOS & EAD NOA1 June 8, 2009: NOA Date June 4, 2009

Received Biometrics Appointment Letter June 13, 2009 Appt date June 24, 2009

I-485 & I-765 Touched June 25, 2009

EAD Card Production ordered 07/10/2009

EAD Received in mail 07/20/2009

Received Interview letter 8/1/09 Interview 09/15/09

GREEN CARD APPROVED; PASSPORT STAMPED

I just want to make sure I have this straight...

If you file Married filing Joint, you cannot claim the $85,700 foreign income exemption with form 2555-EZ regardless of residence or physical presence, correct? That would mean one must weigh what their return would be filing "married filing separately" with the nonresident alien spouse filing a 2555-EZ and a 1040 versus filing jointly with a request to treat a nonresident alien spouse as a resident alien for tax purposes with their income converted to US dollars added into the USC's income and taxed, right? Wow, that's a mouthful!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.