3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

my sister where my dad is supposed to reside in when he gets his visa approved sold her house and bought a new one, at that time she did the change of address for my dad. my dad got here a couple of months after my sister did the change of address and he waited for 8 months which was adviced for him to do in his welcome entry letter for his green card but didnt get it. He then made an appointment to a service center to follow up and then he was told that it was sent to the old address and he was asked to do an application for I-190 for replacement of the green card and asked him to pay the fees and to do that he needs to make another appointment. I researched on this because i think its unreasonable since they are the ones who made the mistake, since their system wasnt able to update my dads new address. i found out that you dont have to pay if the card was never received and was returned back to uscis according to the instructions for I-190. I clarrified this to the agent i spoke with in the uscis hotline and was told that my dad doesnt need to pay and he does not have to actually go phisically to the service center office to apply or do anything else, that i only have to send the application to the lockbox in los angels and also send a copy the the uscis who processed the visa which is in laguna niguel because he was petition by my grandfather in guam. Since i got two different answers i wanted to know which is correct coz my dads visa is expiring and we want to get over this problem. In the meantime, ive sent the application to the both departments, i dont know if they are going to return it back and ask for a payment but i want to see now what your experience is so i can send it again with the check if needed, thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
The only way you will not have to pay is if the Greencard was returned to USCIS from the old address... if it was never returned then you will have to pay for the new card.... this happened to me... mine was lost in the mail...

Kez

Hi Kez, yup it returned according to the uscis person my dad spoke with in the service center and they wont admit it but it is actually their fault,my dads social security actually got the right address and from what i understand they got those information to the homeland security as well. hopefully they wont reject it and ask for the payment and all that stuff. by the way kez, when you did yours did you just use efile and do you still have to make an appointment to the local service center to pay and do biometrics, thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.