rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

20 days to go!!

had my consulate interview for the visa the other day... OH MY GOD what a ridiculous waste of my time. really. i had to take a day off work, fly to auckland, arrange to stay with a friend, get said friend to chaffeur me around... and all for a TWO AND A HALF MINUTE interview. i kid you not.

the preceding friday i suddenly realised, after leafing through a stack of papers, that i actually needed to provide 'evidence of ties to nz' for the interview. i panicked, but the examples listed seemed okay: bank statements, student loan contract, or a letter from my parents. it was too late to get the latter, but i thought i had the two former things. so just hours before i fly out to auckland, i begin looking for my student loan contract. then i realise i don't have it - my sis was down for a visit the other week and i gave her everything i'm storing to take back home to my parents place, including all paperwork such as loan contracts! i went into a huge panic. luckily i had a recent letter from IRD giving me my loan balance, and that was sufficient.

the pre-departure orientation i had to attend in auckland was better than i expected: quite informative.

still have a ton of stuff to organise, but i'm almost there!!

07-10-2008 entered US on J-1 visa

01-01-2009 officially engaged

04-06-2009 married

04-25-2009 filed AOS

05-22-2009 biometrics appointment

06-05-2009 EAD received

06-17-2009 NOA2 received

07-30-2009 interview- recommended for approval! GC expected in 1-2 months

10-21-2009 received NOA for the I-130: "your petition is approved but... the applicant for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file for an adjustment of status at this time". still no GC :(

11-18-2009 welcome letter received!

12-01-2009 green card received!

september 2011 filed for removal of conditions

october 2011 biometrics appointment

december 2011 RFE received

january 2011 sent in RFE packet

february 2011 conditions lifted, 10 year green card received

I know I am butting in here at the Kiwi thread but congrats on a quick interview!!

Mine was the same, about 3 mins and no questions asked about our marriage!! Seems as though our countries don't raise red flags.

:)

20 days to go!!

had my consulate interview for the visa the other day... OH MY GOD what a ridiculous waste of my time. really. i had to take a day off work, fly to auckland, arrange to stay with a friend, get said friend to chaffeur me around... and all for a TWO AND A HALF MINUTE interview. i kid you not.

the preceding friday i suddenly realised, after leafing through a stack of papers, that i actually needed to provide 'evidence of ties to nz' for the interview. i panicked, but the examples listed seemed okay: bank statements, student loan contract, or a letter from my parents. it was too late to get the latter, but i thought i had the two former things. so just hours before i fly out to auckland, i begin looking for my student loan contract. then i realise i don't have it - my sis was down for a visit the other week and i gave her everything i'm storing to take back home to my parents place, including all paperwork such as loan contracts! i went into a huge panic. luckily i had a recent letter from IRD giving me my loan balance, and that was sufficient.

the pre-departure orientation i had to attend in auckland was better than i expected: quite informative.

still have a ton of stuff to organise, but i'm almost there!!

11-05-06 Sent I-130 to California

06-01-07 INTERVIEW

06-04-07 Received VISA in the mail. Silly Consulate issued me CR-1 instead of IR-1, no time to change it in Australia, will try to change it once in California.

06-10-07 POE SFO

06-21-07 Receive SSN#

07-12-07 Receive Green Card in the mail STILL HAD CR1 INSTEAD OF IR1

12-10-07 Finally sent I-90 asking for a new green card with correct info.

06-17-08 INFOPASS - Was told USCIS sent new green card to old address back in Jan. Will resend it but may not be able to correct error as it was made by Consulate not USCIS.

What to do now??

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi Hollywood, congratulations on your interview in Australia. I agree that the U.S. doesn't really worry too much about the folks from down under.

So how are my kiwi friends doing these days?

Justine, you must be so anxious! Don't you dare forget to give us details and pictures once you get here! I hope it's every bit as glorious as you expect it to be. :)

Grant, congratulations on getting the paperwork going and your interview date! Gee, wish it was that easy for us. :lol:

Kel, any news on the house?

cdneh, hows the waiting game going for you guys?

I saw Mark on the AOS forum... hope you are well and enjoying your life in the U.S.

Michelle, did you get the process started for your divorce yet?

Gnomegirl.. not even sure you're still checking in here but I was curious... in your Embassy review you stated that the officials touted dual citizenship. Any idea why that is/was?

I hope I didn't forget anyone and if I did... my apologies.

We're almost 10 weeks into this now and getting a bit anxious with the wait. There have been just two K1 VJ April approvals as of yet. One was a military expedite and the other...with the same NOA1 date as us.... was just lucky! <_< <-- just a tad envious! :lol: March is almost done with so we should see April approvals pouring in soon.

We've seen each other just 3 weeks out of the last 9 months. After sharing everything for so long, it's just tragic having all this time apart. :( And it's getting harder for both of us as the days pass. Every time I check my email or login to VJ my heart skips a beat. I am a strong and patient woman but this process is certainly taking it's toll. I suppose that means we're getting closer and that is what keeps us going ....but oh how we long for that approval! ;)

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

Kimandruss, I answered you via PM, but I'll add it here too.

Both the ones we talked to brought up dual citizenship and gave us examples of why it was a good idea. Some of the examples were pretty elaborate, especially for the kids. I don't know why they did it and it surprised me, but it actually eased my mind a lot about it.

Grant, and whoever else asked about the recent payslip, it wasn't noted on our forms either. I called and asked because it did mention the Affidavit of Support, which of course, had already been filed in the US, and was told to take the payslip. I was told it was because it takes a long time for the packet to get to the Consulate and things may have changed between the time it was filed and the time you're interviewed. Hope that helps clear it up a little. :)

Our big news is that we'll be away in around 6 weeks. Finally!!! :dance:

Hey guys, great to read everyones news and see progress. Kim and Russ - I hope you'll get some good news soon!

For me my house hasn't sold, though I do have someone interested, it's just a matter of getting a decent offer from them. My current stress involves my son and making arrangements with his school for him to stay on when I go. I'm hoping to have that all sorted by August.

I've got my medical on Wednesday, made an appointment with Dr Marcus Stone in Remuera, was given the cost of $110 for that appt. My interview is on the 7th at 9.30am, my pink form does have to bring in a recent payslip as well as a copy of my husbands most recent tax return, even though his tax returns were submitted with the I-864.

Married: 08/05/2007

I-130 sent CSC: 08/09/2007

NOA 1: 09/05/2007

NOA 2: 02/19/2008

NVC case number assigned: 03/04/2008

Case complete at NVC: 05/12/2008

Case sent to Consulate: 05/28/2008

Consulate received: 06/03/2008

Interview & Approval: 07/07/2008

Passport with Visa received: 07/11/2008

POE San Francisco: 09/15/2008

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline
I've got my medical on Wednesday, made an appointment with Dr Marcus Stone in Remuera

Snap!!, got my medical on Wednesday as well, but with Dr Daniels in Remuera instead. Wasn't given the cost (I didn't ask either).

Interesting that the pink form asks for a recent payslip with the I864 - we don't have one from our joint sponsor (they are retired, so don't have one). However we will get them to provide proof of their retirement savings and 401k anyway.

What was interesting at the consulate was that we were told not to worry too much about the I864. In fact the lady we spoke to said that the equity we have in our house (even if we don't sell it - which we aren't planning on doing) was more than enough to cover the level of assets needed to not even require a joint sponsor (but we have our bases covered).

We had both Brook's and her parents (joint sponsors) I864's ready to submit with the first lot of paperwork, but were told not to worry now, just bring it to the interview. They were very casual about the whole thing.

Cheers

Grant

The process changed a little recently as far as what was required for you to submit etc, so it's probably a pretty recent addition.

Either that or they got sick of people calling them to ask for clarification. I had the direct number too ... might have helped them add it in ;)

Good luck for your medicals, you two! :)

cdneh, hows the waiting game going for you guys?

We're almost 10 weeks into this now and getting a bit anxious with the wait. There have been just two K1 VJ April approvals as of yet. One was a military expedite and the other...with the same NOA1 date as us.... was just lucky! <_< <-- just a tad envious! :lol: March is almost done with so we should see April approvals pouring in soon.

We've seen each other just 3 weeks out of the last 9 months. After sharing everything for so long, it's just tragic having all this time apart. :( And it's getting harder for both of us as the days pass. Every time I check my email or login to VJ my heart skips a beat. I am a strong and patient woman but this process is certainly taking it's toll. I suppose that means we're getting closer and that is what keeps us going ....but oh how we long for that approval! ;)

Well we're waiting...patiently...more or less ;) We haven't seen each other in person in ages, since October 14th when I flew out. It seems so loooooong...

We aren't anxious about waiting, but bits of the process...sigh...we can't help but think if we had not had the hold up we did, we'd be two months further on than we are now, and he's still stressing about that. But on the upside, when I tell him something now, he DOES it. :yes:

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

Gnomegrrl, thanks so much! Congratulations on your move! Have a safe trip!

Hey Kel, good to see you. Thanks for the well wishes. I do hope you get a good offer on your home and school settled for your son soon. How did your medical go?

Grant, your children are just lovely! How about you? How did your medical go? Ohhhh to be a DCF'er! :lol:

cdneh, I feel your pain hon. :( We've had just three weeks together since September. Sorry your sweetie is feeling bad. I went through some of that too because it was my ex husband dragging his feet with the divorce and I should have pushed him harder. Perhaps the process is going to speed back up again for you and you'll be waiting only 1 or 2 months instead of the 3 it looks like we're waiting. No looking back, eh? ;) It is what it is and you're on your way now! I'm so envious of the couples that can see each other more often because they are closer. We have spent so much in travelling already that we just can't justify another trip down right now. :( Hopefully we'll find our approval in the next couple of weeks and we can be on with it!

I did ask earlier in this thread I believe, but did any of you get asked for the beneficiary's CV/Resume? It was mentioned in an email from the Consulate as a helpful thing to have at interview time even though my income is way above the guidelines. Just curious really.

timeline.jpg

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The medical was all very easy. Saw a nurse who looked took my height, weight, blood pressure, measured by lung function with a peak flow metre, gave me a Tetanus shot (I had not had one for years) and sent me to the doctor who checked my hearing, and sight, checked me for hernia's and then asked me a bunch of questions (a lot relating to any mental illness or alcohol/drug abuse). I then was sent to give blood to check for vaccinations. I then had a chest Xray.

All was good with no problems at all (providing the blood samples show I have had all of the right vaccinations). They said they will ring me in a day or two just to confirm that all is ok and that they have sent the forms back to the Consulate.

Cheers

Grant

I wasn't asked for one, but then, different visa I guess, so possibly different guidelines. If they've suggested it'll be helpful, then have Russ take it for sure!

I also sympathize with everyone missing their honey. I haven't seen mine since December 2006 - not even a flying visit. :(

Timeline

Thanks Grant! Glad it went well for you! The woman from the Consulate and I went back and forth via email a couple times, she was very nice. :) Perhaps she just suggested it as additional documentation. Russell does have his masters degree so i'm sure it will help. I was just curious as I had never heard that mentioned on VJ here before, although it makes perfect sense when I think about it. ;)

I haven't seen mine since December 2006 - not even a flying visit.

:wow: You need to come home!! That has to be so tough on both of you!

timeline.jpg

It has been tough. Can't wait for it to be over! LOL.

It does make sense, actually, in more ways than one. The amount you need to earn to be the sponsor isn't all that high when you break it down, particularly not when you've got kids. I wasn't asked for my CV, but I was asked if I intend to work in the US and he pointed out that while Jeremy does earn more than enough for the sponsorship requirements, we would probably struggle on one wage.

I was about to ask you which one you were talking to - if it was the blonde American ... but you wouldn't know that by email. LOL. All the staff in there are lovely, but she really stands out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.