jacoman

Inviting my Colombian Wife's mother for a 1 month visit

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife's visa appointment is in Bogota on March 14, 2008. I would like to be able to have my wife's mother come and visit us in the U.S. 6 months from now. What paperwork do I need to present to sponsor her for a 1 month visit? Just the I-134? Or do i need to do more? Are these types of visas less complicated? Or have they gotten stricter?

Will this require a minimum of 2 visits to the US Embassy? (1)Initial appointment, (2)visa stamp.

Thanks for your help. Any info appreciated.

Jaco

Edited by jacoman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I applied on behalf of my fiancée two times for a B2 visitor visa. Both times she traveled to Mexico City and both times she was denied. It is nearly impossible to be approved, at least in Mexico. In order to qualify you need to have a well respected job, a fair amount of money in the bank, and some property. Unfortunately, since my fiancée was in school and working as a waitress at the time, she didn't qualify. With the B2 visa the consulate officers automatically assume that the visa filer has the intention of staying in the U.S. forever, it is the visa filers job to convince the consulate officer that he or she will return to there home country after the visit to the United States. This is the what we provided as proof my fiancée would return home to Mexico after her visit. Over $3,000 dollars or $30,000 pesos in her bank account, a letter from her employer, proof that she owns an apartment, a letter from her school, an affidavit of support from me, and finally a letter from my family stating that she would return to Mexico after her 2 week-stay and that we would provide a place to stay and all living expenses, below the typed letter I scanned my parents drivers licenses, my drivers license, and my brothers drivers license. Below each drivers license we all printed and signed our names. She still got denied. Maybe they are harder on visa filers that are under 30, I am not sure (She was 20 when she first had her appointment). The best part about the B2 visa is that it doesn't take 8 months to get your appointment like the K1 or K3 visa. As soon as you pay on the uscis.gov website you will get your appointment date assigned, which will usually be anywhere from 1 month to 2 months later.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I applied on behalf of my fiancée two times for a B2 visitor visa. Both times she traveled to Mexico City and both times she was denied. It is nearly impossible to be approved, at least in Mexico. In order to qualify you need to have a well respected job, a fair amount of money in the bank, and some property. Unfortunately, since my fiancée was in school and working as a waitress at the time, she didn't qualify. With the B2 visa the consulate officers automatically assume that the visa filer has the intention of staying in the U.S. forever, it is the visa filers job to convince the consulate officer that he or she will return to there home country after the visit to the United States. This is the what we provided as proof my fiancée would return home to Mexico after her visit. Over $3,000 dollars or $30,000 pesos in her bank account, a letter from her employer, proof that she owns an apartment, a letter from her school, an affidavit of support from me, and finally a letter from my family stating that she would return to Mexico after her 2 week-stay and that we would provide a place to stay and all living expenses, below the typed letter I scanned my parents drivers licenses, my drivers license, and my brothers drivers license. Below each drivers license we all printed and signed our names. She still got denied. Maybe they are harder on visa filers that are under 30, I am not sure (She was 20 when she first had her appointment). The best part about the B2 visa is that it doesn't take 8 months to get your appointment like the K1 or K3 visa. As soon as you pay on the uscis.gov website you will get your appointment date assigned, which will usually be anywhere from 1 month to 2 months later.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
My wife's visa appointment is in Bogota on March 14, 2008. I would like to be able to have my wife's mother come and visit us in the U.S. 6 months from now. What paperwork do I need to present to sponsor her for a 1 month visit? Just the I-134? Or do i need to do more? Are these types of visas less complicated? Or have they gotten stricter?

Will this require a minimum of 2 visits to the US Embassy? (1)Initial appointment, (2)visa stamp.

Thanks for your help. Any info appreciated.

Jaco

I'm sure you already know this but it's very difficult to get a tourist visa in Colombia. However, you can try by sending your mother in-law the I-134 and letter of invitation so she can show them at the embassy. She might luck out and have a very nice CO who will approve her.

Good luck!!

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.