spy

Divorce

21 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone for the input, how about this question from JOMO'S GIRL?

Does the marriage in the US count at all since you were legally married in the Phillipines

was it recorded at a county clerks office?

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

You can file for divorce here but it won't terminate your marriage in the Philippines. Claudeth was told by embassy staff up in L.A. that her marriage could be removed in the Philippines only if I divorced her, not her divorcing me. You have to be the respondant on the petition.

That's correct. A divorce in the US will be recognized in the Philippines only if it is the USC that petitions for the divorce. If her husband files for divorce, it will be recognized in the Philippines and she will not need an annulment.

For some reason the lady at the Filipino embassy thought Claudeth needed a long lecture on this. Kind of weird :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

So that this matter is clear and incorrect information can stop, I looked up the applicable article of the family law.

Article 26 of the family code was amended by executive order 227 on July 17, 1987.

Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. (As amended by Executive Order 227)

Under Philippine laws, divorce is not a recognized mode of dissolving marital relationship. The above quoted provision is an exception to the general rule. The purpose of the law was to somehow give the Filipino national the same rights as that afforded the foreign spouse by virtue of said divorce. Since the OP is still a Filipino national, the laws of the Philippines will continue to apply to her as specifically provided under Article 15 of the Civil Code, which states: "Laws relating to family rights and duties, or to the status, condition and legal capacity of persons are binding upon citizens of the Philippines, even though living abroad." In view of the law of the Philippines, any divorce filed by the OP, while continuing to be a Filipino citizen, would have no legal effect whatsoever in the Philippines.

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

09.01.06 - Filed I130 to VSC

05.21.07 - NOA2

06.19.07 - NVC receives Petition

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

01.30.08 - USEM Interview

02.02.08 - CR1 Visa Received

03.03.08 - Entered US through Detroit International

03.27.08 - Received 2yr Conditional Resident Card

04.01.08 - Filed for my SSN at the local SSA office

04.05.08 - SSN received by mail

05.03.08 - Finally got my Driver's License

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.07.09 - Sent I-751 to VSC by express mail

12.08.09 - I-751 delivered to VSC per USPS tracking :-)

12.09.09 - NOA1 date (Checked cashed :-D)

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

12.18.09 - ASC Appointment Notice Date

12.26.09 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

12.31.09 - Early Biometrics

01.14.10 - Biometrics Schedule

02.26.10 - Email update --Card Production ordered

03.02.10 - Email update --Approval Notice sent

03.06.10 - Approval Notice Received

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

09.09.11 - Sent N400 to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

09.23.11 - Received 1-797 by mail

11.17.11 - Biometrics Schedule

01.25.12 - Received Interview and Exam Notice by mail

02.28.12 - Interview schedule

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

So that this matter is clear and incorrect information can stop, I looked up the applicable article of the family law.

Article 26 of the family code was amended by executive order 227 on July 17, 1987.

Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. (As amended by Executive Order 227)

Under Philippine laws, divorce is not a recognized mode of dissolving marital relationship. The above quoted provision is an exception to the general rule. The purpose of the law was to somehow give the Filipino national the same rights as that afforded the foreign spouse by virtue of said divorce. Since the OP is still a Filipino national, the laws of the Philippines will continue to apply to her as specifically provided under Article 15 of the Civil Code, which states: "Laws relating to family rights and duties, or to the status, condition and legal capacity of persons are binding upon citizens of the Philippines, even though living abroad." In view of the law of the Philippines, any divorce filed by the OP, while continuing to be a Filipino citizen, would have no legal effect whatsoever in the Philippines.

That's correct. A divorce will only be recognized if the non-Filipino spouse files for the divorce.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

If your husband will file for the divorce here, then you dont have to file and annulment in the Philippines, however, when the divorce filed by your husband is already granted here in the USA , you still have to file a petition before the family court where you to got married in the Philippines for the divorce decree to be recognized for remarriage purposes. Once the petition is granted and the divorce decree is recognized by our Philippine laws , the same will be registered in the LCR where you got married and eventually in the NSO. Remember that you also got married in the Philippines so there is a record of such marriage in the LCR and our NSO so the divorce decree that will be obtained by your husband must be recognized by our Philippine courts ( I see no problem with this and the petition is easy) for remarriage purposes.

If your husband is not interested in filing for the divorce then you have to get an annulment in the Philippines. Annulment, although considered a civil case is a "special case" so you have to go home and appear before the court esepcially during the pre-trial conference because you will be the petitioner.

Edited by jom

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.