iverigma

I just got my citizenship, my wife has overstayed her tourist visa and we are filing for Adjustment of Status

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Here is what has happened:

2002/8 I received my green card and came to US.

2005/4 She came to US in the tourist visa and started living with me, I was still only a permanent resident

2005/7 She went back to her own country to avoid overstay

2005/9 She came to US again in the tourist visa.

2005/11 We got married

2008/2 A week ago I finally got my citizenship. But she has already overstayed (her stay expired at 2007/8). So now we are filing for i485, i130...,etc. to adjust her status. Now my question is:

I became pretty nervous when I see the warning like "If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad" and a lot of people on this forum are saying the same thing. But I think our case is a little different: when we married I was NOT a US citizen and there was 2+ years away from my eventual citizenship. Therefore for her to stay in US, there was no advantage whatsoever of marrying a LPR like me. Is it a valid argument if the interviewer questions her?

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}