rhymeswithcandi

Cancel checks and resubmit

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone... I feel like I'm constantly asking questions on here but this place is so helpful and I really do appreciate having others in the same boat to advise me. Sorry if questions seem silly but I say the only stupid question is the one not asked.

My case is confusing so I apologize, in advance, for the long-winded introduction to my question.

Anyway, here's the thing. I first sent my AOS in July. In August, I received my first NOA saying that I'd forgotten the biometrics fee (then $70). At that point (September) I sent the $70 and applied for AP at the same time. Sent copy of NOA, fees were all correct, forms filled correctly etc. In October, I got a NOA saying my AP was rejected for incorrect filing fee (the check was stapled to the letter and was indeed $305). They also sent my $70 biometric fee back and a NOA stating that my AOS had been rejected for incorrect answer to question 2. This was all really strange to me so I made an Infopass appointment and the officer there told me it was a USCIS error (she apologized as well). She said to re-send it with a letter outlining the error and to send it to the Chicago lockbox with "Please do not open in the mailroom, Atten: Dennis Sharkey" written in the envelope. (No one I've contacted at USCIS since has been able to tell me who this Sharkey person is but I've since found that it is what people are to write on the envelope when trying to correct fee issues/ uscis errors). I sent that Nov. 1st (over 90 days ago).

My AOS is still down on the system as awaiting biometrics fee and there is no sign of my AP at all (besides the one that was erroneously considered "incorrect filing fee". I have also received a second NOA asking again for my $70 biometric fee. I'm starting to get concerned that it is lost.

I've since e-filed EAD and had so far this process has seemed very prompt (one week later I got a notice for biometric appointment).

Not having the AP has been a pain. I live fairly close to the border and trips home (especially for Christmas) would have been really nice this whole time. I've also been asked numerous times by my CANADIAN employer to do some work for them in 2/3 week intervals but can't because I don't have AP. I've been asked again to do some work in Europe in April but have this really strong feeling that if I just "wait" as I have been, that won't be possible.

So, I was considering canceling the last checks I sent ($70 biometrics and $305 AP). That way I could re-sendi a check for $70 by mail and apply for AP online (e-filing seems pretty quick so far). I understand USCIS has $30 penalties for cancelled checks but we're willing to "eat" that. Has anyone done this?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give

:)

Timeline

Well, your plan makes me feel nervous. It has been really busy, from what I hear, because of the vast amount of people who have gone through the system just before the increase in fees (I filed in July myself). My feeling is that if you really need the money, do what you have to do, but you will be able to start working once your ead comes in, which sounds like it will be soon. I had a friend who made an info pass appointment to see her father when he was sick, which they allowed. However, don't jeapordize the AP just for one drive over the border. You may have to wait a very long time for your GC, from what I hear.

Aug 2002

Entered US on TN work permit

2003 through 2007

Renewed TN Annually

March 2007

Eloped in Central Park on vernal equinox, then honeymooned in Paris.

April 2007

Early April: Renewed TN on return from Paris

June 2007

Sent in AOS/I-130/EAD package

July 2007

July 14: DOA1 - delay in processing because CIS told me to send package to the wrong center.

Late July: Received Biometrics notice

Aug 2007:

Aug 2: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 8: Received RFE for missing medical forms which CIS told me originally not to send in!!

Aug 16: Medical Forms Received at CIS

Aug 24: Received e-notice that EAD card was ordered (No more TN! yay!)

Aug 30: Last day of work on TN. Laid off from job. :(

September 2007

September 5: Received Card! Just in time. Started part-time grad school today.

October 2007

Oct 2: Received Interview Notice: Whoo-hoooo!

November 27 2007

Had GC interview, which went smooth as silk. Received passport stamp, too.

Timeline
Well, your plan makes me feel nervous. It has been really busy, from what I hear, because of the vast amount of people who have gone through the system just before the increase in fees (I filed in July myself). My feeling is that if you really need the money, do what you have to do, but you will be able to start working once your ead comes in, which sounds like it will be soon. I had a friend who made an info pass appointment to see her father when he was sick, which they allowed. However, don't jeapordize the AP just for one drive over the border. You may have to wait a very long time for your GC, from what I hear.

I know it'll be a while before I get my GC. That's why I'm considering a resubmission of my AP application. Part of the reason is because I want to work but mostly - the prospect of not being able to travel for up to a year (for sake of argument) makes me want to throw up.

Timeline

Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you thought of consulting with a lawyer?

I know it'll be a while before I get my GC. That's why I'm considering a resubmission of my AP application. Part of the reason is because I want to work but mostly - the prospect of not being able to travel for up to a year (for sake of argument) makes me want to throw up.

Aug 2002

Entered US on TN work permit

2003 through 2007

Renewed TN Annually

March 2007

Eloped in Central Park on vernal equinox, then honeymooned in Paris.

April 2007

Early April: Renewed TN on return from Paris

June 2007

Sent in AOS/I-130/EAD package

July 2007

July 14: DOA1 - delay in processing because CIS told me to send package to the wrong center.

Late July: Received Biometrics notice

Aug 2007:

Aug 2: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 8: Received RFE for missing medical forms which CIS told me originally not to send in!!

Aug 16: Medical Forms Received at CIS

Aug 24: Received e-notice that EAD card was ordered (No more TN! yay!)

Aug 30: Last day of work on TN. Laid off from job. :(

September 2007

September 5: Received Card! Just in time. Started part-time grad school today.

October 2007

Oct 2: Received Interview Notice: Whoo-hoooo!

November 27 2007

Had GC interview, which went smooth as silk. Received passport stamp, too.

Timeline
Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you thought of consulting with a lawyer?

I thought of it... we were actually going to try and write to our congressman first and see if that helped at all.

But, I just got an update today though!! My AP was received Jan 10th (strange since I mailed it Nov 1st) and I got my NOA in the mail!! So, if all goes well, my AP should be done shortly. Now that I have a receipt # I can expedite it if I need to travel asap. My EAD is also rolling quite smoothly so far as well (biometrics appointment tomorrow)

I've been getting a lot of good news lately so I may not have to throw up after all lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.