crashandcari

Stepson went back to England.. now what?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone..

Need some advice on what we need to do.

My husband and I were married in July, 2005. He and his son finally arrived as conditional permanent residences in May, 2006. If my calculation are correct we need to file our petition to remove conditions this month.

To make a very long story short, my stepson's biological mother who had been out of contact for a million years turned up and my stepson began communicating with her and his half sister who he hadn't seen in 13 years and missed terribly.

My stepson (who is 16) decided he wanted to return to England and go live with his mother. And so he went.

Our questions are:

1. Do we need to notify CIS that he has left the country? Or do we just let his green card expire in May?

2. When we file the petition to remove my husband's conditions we obviously have to leave my stepson off.. Should we make reference to him returning to England in our cover letter?

We just aren't clear as to what we need to do, obviously lol. Any advice would be appreciated as always.

If any of our old friends are around.. hi guys!! Hope all is well with you things are great with us (with the exception of Crash Jr. going back to England).

Thanks again everyone..

Cari

sig1-1.gif

Crash (UK) and Cari (NYC) Two lives, two hearts joined together in friendship united forever in LOVE

July 17, 2005 - HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE - OUR WEDDING DAY!!!!!

I-130

8/8/05 - sent I-130 to Vermont

8/18/05 received NOA!!

9/9/05 I-130 APPROVED!!

2/13/06 CASE COMPLETE per NVC - got letter on 2/25/06

3/28/06 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR 5/2/06 @ 10:30 A.M.

Medical scheduled for 4/10/06 - everything went great!!

5/2/06 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED !!

5/20/06 - Crash came home to NY for good!!

2.png

I-751

3/24/08 sent in petition to VSC

3/25/08 FedEx confirmed-package received

3/28/08 check cleared bank

3/31/08 received NOA1-extension (dated 3/25/08)!!

4/7/08 received NOA2-biometrics appt (dated 4/3/08)!

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi everyone..

Need some advice on what we need to do.

My husband and I were married in July, 2005. He and his son finally arrived as conditional permanent residences in May, 2006. If my calculation are correct we need to file our petition to remove conditions this month.

To make a very long story short, my stepson's biological mother who had been out of contact for a million years turned up and my stepson began communicating with her and his half sister who he hadn't seen in 13 years and missed terribly.

My stepson (who is 16) decided he wanted to return to England and go live with his mother. And so he went.

Our questions are:

1. Do we need to notify CIS that he has left the country? Or do we just let his green card expire in May?

2. When we file the petition to remove my husband's conditions we obviously have to leave my stepson off.. Should we make reference to him returning to England in our cover letter?

We just aren't clear as to what we need to do, obviously lol. Any advice would be appreciated as always.

If any of our old friends are around.. hi guys!! Hope all is well with you things are great with us (with the exception of Crash Jr. going back to England).

Thanks again everyone..

Cari

Hey Cari,

1. You don't have to notify the USCIS that he has left the country. They didn't require any such notification except the travel is going to be longer than 365 days. LPRs are free to come and go as they please for up to one year without a re-entry permit.

2. IMO, it's too premature to make the decision whether or not to leave your son off until the time comes to remove conditions. You don't have to make that decision right now. When the time draws near, call him (and perhaps his mother too) and ask him if he's still interested in coming back to the USA. You never know, he can change his mind and later decides he'd rather live with his father than his mother; rather in the USA than in England. Afterall he's a minor, and the ability to make seasoned and lasting decisions is rarely an attribute of people this age group.

Besides, I think he's doing what anyone in his position would do. He hasn't seen his mother in a "million years" afterall and leaving wherever he is and whatever he's doing to go meet her makes perfect sense to me. Give him some time to make up for the lost time with his mother and then decide if he'd rather live there than here.

Hope you find this advice helpful. Good luck :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.