Arrta

Credit Cards in the Philippines.

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

BTW, City Garden Hotels in Manila has their own website. You can check availability make reservations with a 10% deposit (credit cards do work on their website) and pay the rest in person at check in time. They can tell where the nearest ATMs are.

http://citygardenhotels.com/

They own the Lotus Garden and the City Garden Suites, both within walking distance of St. Lukes, and a short taxi ride to the US Embassy.

We always stayed at the Lotus Garden. My wife's cousins and friends did too.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey.. You just said its your money and you can do anything you want with it..

So here it goes.. Its your money.. Withdraw it and send it to her..

Let her buy the plane ticket from there, she might even find a good deal..

I already did this for the plane tickets. What I am trying to do now is pay for the Hotel.

Like what Arrta said.. Its your money... You can do whatever you want with it..

HSBC all the way... Their all over the world!!

Hmm, my GM Mastercard is issued by HSBC. I just called them and they advised they do not have any restrictions on international purchases but they made a note that I will be charging a hotel to the card for arounf $500 USD so that they will not deny or question the charge.

I had not tried my Mastercard for the hotel yet. I was just so ticked off about my bank I posted and generalized all my cards because of the issue last week with the plane tickets.

Timeline

I used my debit card with mastercard logo on it, and I don't have any problems using it internationally..I even used my debit card to pay my fiance cenomar and birthcert online and booked the hotel at hoteltravel.com..Maybe, it's about ur bank policy..I don't know about credit cards because I have only one credit card with $350 credit limit on it :lol::lol: ..i hate credit cards!!!.

AOS Process:

Mar. 11, 2008- ARRIVED US

Mar. 12, 2008- got married

00-00-0000-Temple wedding-Mormon church

Mar.13, 2008-completed vaccinations-I693A supplement from CS

Mar. 18, 2008- sent the AOS package(I-485 and EAD)..applied for SSN..

Mar.19, 2008-Delivered. signed for by V Bustamante-took and passed written driving test

Mar.25, 2008-Check cashed-Received SSN

Mar.27,2008-Received NOA's in mail-Case available online

Mar.28, 2008-Received Biometrics appointment in mail-04/08/08

Apr.08,2008-Biometrics DONE

Apr.08-09,2008-TOUCHED

Apr.14,2008-Transfer Notice date to California(I-485)

Apr.17,2008-Received Notice in the mail about the transfer

Apr.20 and 22,2008-I-485 TOUCHED..No touch on EAD

Apr.24, 2008-Received AR driver license

May 07, 08, 09, 12, 13, 2008- I-485 TOUCHED..

May 16, 2008- I-765 Card production ordered -1st email

May 19, 2008- I-485 TOUCHED

May 21, 2008-I-765 Card production ordered-2nd email

May 22, 2008- I-765 TOUCHED

May 23, 2008-I765 Approval notice sent-3rd email

May 24, 2008- EAD in hand

May 28, 2008-AOS Card production ordered..yehey!!!got another email saying "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

May 29, 2008-AOS TOUCHED

June 03, 2008- Green Card in hand

Timeline
I used my debit card with mastercard logo on it, and I don't have any problems using it internationally..I even used my debit card to pay my fiance cenomar and birthcert online and booked the hotel at hoteltravel.com..Maybe, it's about ur bank policy..I don't know about credit cards because I have only one credit card with $350 credit limit on it :lol::lol: ..i hate credit cards!!!.

I use mine on SEAAIRs website without a problem. I've also had the bank issue one in my fiancee's name and her PI address as an alternate. This allows her to use it there for things like checking into the hotel or picking up the tickets.

I did have to go through a little security red-tape to set that up, but it was a phone call and a faxed form.

Also as a rule, whenever I travel overseas I always call the credit card companies and inform them of the dates of my travel, its a process I've been doing since the 80s after a particularly embarrassing incident with Mastercard while standing in a store in a mall in japan.

Our timeline..

06/27/2004 Met on the internet

[....] lots of things happen

02/10/2007 Met in person

[....]

04/11/2007 Sent NOA1

04/19/2007 Receipt Date

04/24/2007 Touch

[....]

06/26/2007 Met in person second time, this time with our kids

[....]

08/24/2007 Called CSC with Lawyer (We were told case was with an officer now)

08/26/2007 Touch

08/29/2007 Touch

08/30/2007 Touch

09/05/2007 Called CSC and was told we now have a RFE that was sent already .. they can't tell us what it is over the phone (#######?)

09/04/2007 RFE Date (sure enough there was one)

09/14/2007 RFE received (for information originally included in the packet)

09/14/2007 RFE response returned.. including letter to the effect the information was already in the package and another copy of same

09/26/2007 REF AGAIN for the same information, looks like a copy of the same letter as before

09/27/2007 RFE response returned via fedex, letter from the lawyer included

[...]

10/01/2007 electronic notification of receipt of RFE information & touch on the website.

10/02/2007 Touch

10/11/2007 Approval notice sent. "On October 9, 2007, we mailed you a notice...."

[...]

11/27/2007 Call to NVC and FINALLY a receipt number.

12/08/2007 Found ourselves on the IPV website and confirmed with a call

[...]

12/22/2007 Third in person meeting, christmas and new years

[...]

01/30/2008 St. Luke's PASSED!!!!

02/07/2008 Embassy APPROVED!!!!

02/11/2008 Pick up Visa

02/14/2008 Arrive @ home in the US

05/01/2009 Green Card Arrived.

Timeline

I use mine on SEAAIRs website without a problem. I've also had the bank issue one in my fiancee's name and her PI address as an alternate. This allows her to use it there for things like checking into the hotel or picking up the tickets.

I did have to go through a little security red-tape to set that up, but it was a phone call and a faxed form.

Also as a rule, whenever I travel overseas I always call the credit card companies and inform them of the dates of my travel, its a process I've been doing since the 80s after a particularly embarrassing incident with Mastercard while standing in a store in a mall in japan.

I call them too. They'll ask when you're leaving and returning, that way if someone picks up your CC number and tries to use it after you return, they can detect it easier.

What equipment does SEAAIR fly, little puddle-jumpers? :lol:

MY wife and I both use Master card debit cards in P.I. I went to my bank and told them that I would be sending one there for regular use. I have used both cards there w/ no problems. Now instead of western union, other family members use my account to send money. JOHN&JEAN

Happy you got your issues resolved.

Just to pile on:

There are plenty of travel companies that are not based in Asia that will be happy to take your money.

I used Orbitz.com

You can get hotels and plane tickets there.

Also, I had my credit cards and debit cards with a local credit union. They barely seem aware that other countries exist- they don't even charge extra for foreign debit transactions like some major banks do. I did call them up and told them ahead of time that I was going to the PI so that they would not react if any red flags came up.

If you want to send money, I found that the cheapest way was to just send a debit card. My only problem with that was that the ATM has to be on the Plus or Cirrus network, which is rare on her home island of Leyte. I ended up using Xoom.com, which is a lot cheaper than Western Union and a lot more available there.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you want to send money, I found that the cheapest way was to just send a debit card. My only problem with that was that the ATM has to be on the Plus or Cirrus network, which is rare on her home island of Leyte. I ended up using Xoom.com, which is a lot cheaper than Western Union and a lot more available there.

If I need to send cash fast it is WU.

But for the money I send her when I get paid I send via PNB Web Remit. $5 USD per transaction no matter how large or small the amount I am sending is. Now, I was never going to be sending small amounts and it was cheaper than WU even thou it takes 3 days to get there. It goes directly into the account I had her open at PNB so she can access the money at any ATM and use the card in stores if she needs to.

Wow, not sure what your problem is. I used my credit card to book Claudeth and her Mom into the Bayview and used it all over the place when I was in the Philippines. Did you call your card company to see what was going on? I did notify my company that I was going the the Philippines and was planning on using my card. Maybe if you call them you can get it straightened out, might be a fraud issue on their side.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
What equipment does SEAAIR fly, little puddle-jumpers? :lol:

Mostly Dornier 328s of a relatively recent vintage. I'd fly asian spirit's jet service more, but they are to big of a pain to deal with from overseas.

Our timeline..

06/27/2004 Met on the internet

[....] lots of things happen

02/10/2007 Met in person

[....]

04/11/2007 Sent NOA1

04/19/2007 Receipt Date

04/24/2007 Touch

[....]

06/26/2007 Met in person second time, this time with our kids

[....]

08/24/2007 Called CSC with Lawyer (We were told case was with an officer now)

08/26/2007 Touch

08/29/2007 Touch

08/30/2007 Touch

09/05/2007 Called CSC and was told we now have a RFE that was sent already .. they can't tell us what it is over the phone (#######?)

09/04/2007 RFE Date (sure enough there was one)

09/14/2007 RFE received (for information originally included in the packet)

09/14/2007 RFE response returned.. including letter to the effect the information was already in the package and another copy of same

09/26/2007 REF AGAIN for the same information, looks like a copy of the same letter as before

09/27/2007 RFE response returned via fedex, letter from the lawyer included

[...]

10/01/2007 electronic notification of receipt of RFE information & touch on the website.

10/02/2007 Touch

10/11/2007 Approval notice sent. "On October 9, 2007, we mailed you a notice...."

[...]

11/27/2007 Call to NVC and FINALLY a receipt number.

12/08/2007 Found ourselves on the IPV website and confirmed with a call

[...]

12/22/2007 Third in person meeting, christmas and new years

[...]

01/30/2008 St. Luke's PASSED!!!!

02/07/2008 Embassy APPROVED!!!!

02/11/2008 Pick up Visa

02/14/2008 Arrive @ home in the US

05/01/2009 Green Card Arrived.

Timeline
Well I'm ticked off.

First I was not able to purchase plane tickets from a Philippine based airline. I tried both Cebu Pac and PAL and was denied by both by all my credit cards.

When I posted online about this multiple people replied that they could not purchase online either and that they sent money to their other half to make the purchase in person, simple enough.

Well, now I am trying to make hotel reservations for my fiancee at a hotel for the interview.

I was just informed that my credit card denied the charges. This is my Visa Check Card which comes from my bank account. I made sure there was enough money to cover the hotel fee in the account.

So I call the bank and get informed that there have been no denied transactions on my card. When I mentioned that the charges were comming from the Philippines they told me, "Oh, well that is different. We denie all charges from the Pacific Rim countries due to the high ammount of fraudulent charges from the area." ?????? WHAT THE EFF???

So I say to the guy, "So you are prohibiting me from spending MY money the way I want to?"

"No sir, we are protecting you from fraudulent charges on your account."

"I am telling you right now, I want this charge to take place. I have provided all the evidence you have requested to prove I am how I say I am, CC#, SS#, DOB, etc. I want to spend my money."

So he goes to talk to management and then comes back and tells me that there is nothing that can be done because the charge is not making it to their systems to be denied so they can not make not to allow the charge.

What it sounds like is the CC companies in the Philippines are aware of the fact that the US card will be denied and never attempt to submit the request.

Is anyone else having trouble with any credit cards? So far I have only attempted to make the hotel reservation with my Visa Check Card. I have not tried my GM Mastercard or my AMEX card, both of which are true credit cards. However, both of these were denied by Cebu Pac and PAL a few weeks back.

If your not having trouble post what type of card it is and who the issueing bank is.

If anyone else is having trouble contact your CC company and find out if they also have a blanket block on all PAC rim countries.

Marc

I ALSO HAVE USED ASIAROOMS.COM TO RESERVE ROOMS AND HAVE USED MY CREDIT CARDS. SOMETIMES ITS A PAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING ULTRA CAREFUL.

I GAVE RELYN A BANK CARD TO WITHDRAW MONEY FROM ATM OVER THERE. SHE HAS USED THAT FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AND THE FEE IS ONLY 1%.........I ALSO GAVE HER A CHINA AIRLINES CREDIT CARD ISSUED BY BARCLAY BANK. EVEN HAD THEM ISSUE IN HER NAME. I DIDNT SEND EITHER OF THESE CARDS THROUGH MAIL BUT KNEW PEOPLE WHO WERE GOING TO VISIT OVER THERE AND THEY MET UP WITH RELYN. THE FEE FOR OVERSEAS TRANSACTION IS 3%. NOT CHEAP BUT WE ALSO USE IT TO GATHER POINTS TO FLY SOMEDAY FREE ON CHINA AIR.

ONE OTHER SIDE NOTE.....I USE AMERICAN EXPRESS "BLUE SKY" FOR ALL MY PURCHASES AND EVEN TO PAY MY BILLS. FOR EVERY $7500 IN CHARGES I GET $100 OFF FUTURE TRAVEL. FOR EVERYTHING I CANT USE AMEX FOR I USE MY CHINA AIR MASTERCARD. EVEN BILLS LIKE UTILITY, CABLE TV.......YOU NAME IT. I JUST PAY ALL THOSE THINGS OUT OF BANK WHEN STATEMENT COMES. SOMETIME WHEN IM 90 YEARS OLD I WILL GET FREE TICKET.......LOL.

PATRICK N RELYN

4 september 2005.....relyn and patrick chat on filipina heart for first time

19 december 2005....patrick flies to meet relyn and m'r (son) for first time

24 decemeber 2005.....we are ENGAGED!

25 december 2005....we fly to boracay. patrick and relyn exchange wedding rings on plane....lol but true

3 january 2006....we meet with attorney to discuss annulment of relyn marriage.

(husband absent for 6 years)

20 august 2006.......patrick returns to philippines

21 august 2006......patrick birthday

28 august 2006......we travel to baguio city till september 5

4 september2006....we celebrate in bagiou our 1st year anniversary of knowing each other.

10 september2006.....patrick back in u.s

19 april 2007....back together for another trip

21 april 2007....we travel to province relyn and family are from for a chance for me to meet extended

family. we are there for more than a week.

7 may 2007....return to the u.s.a.

JULY 2007.....annulment sent to judge desk awaiting decision

OCTOBER 2007.........JUDGE GRANTS ANNULMENT......YIPPEE GETTING CLOSE TO FILING I129F

31 december 2007 I29f sent via US postal priority mail

4 January 2008 NOA1

6 MAY 2008 NOA2 (GUESS THE TOUCH WAS A REALLY GOOD TOUCH)

10 MAY 2008 RECEIVE HARD COPY I-797 NOA2 IN SNAIL MAIL

22-23 may 2008-early medical(passed)

22-27 may 2008-son's medical....very long bcoz of tuberculin test

20 june 2008-my patrick visit me again for 4time

23 june 2008-interview u.s.embassy

27 june 2008-got my visa yipeee so quick!

2 july 2008- fly in tacoma wa, with my patrick and son

WOOT!!!

I just got the email confirmation that my GM Mastercard was accepted. Yay.

Told Yah!! HSBC is the best..

They don't be nosy on your business...

They just verify if the transaction is legit.. They could care less if your trying to use the card in Nigeria or Iraq..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Timeline
Well I'm ticked off.

First I was not able to purchase plane tickets from a Philippine based airline. I tried both Cebu Pac and PAL and was denied by both by all my credit cards.

When I posted online about this multiple people replied that they could not purchase online either and that they sent money to their other half to make the purchase in person, simple enough.

Well, now I am trying to make hotel reservations for my fiancee at a hotel for the interview.

I was just informed that my credit card denied the charges. This is my Visa Check Card which comes from my bank account. I made sure there was enough money to cover the hotel fee in the account.

So I call the bank and get informed that there have been no denied transactions on my card. When I mentioned that the charges were comming from the Philippines they told me, "Oh, well that is different. We denie all charges from the Pacific Rim countries due to the high ammount of fraudulent charges from the area." ?????? WHAT THE EFF???

So I say to the guy, "So you are prohibiting me from spending MY money the way I want to?"

"No sir, we are protecting you from fraudulent charges on your account."

"I am telling you right now, I want this charge to take place. I have provided all the evidence you have requested to prove I am how I say I am, CC#, SS#, DOB, etc. I want to spend my money."

So he goes to talk to management and then comes back and tells me that there is nothing that can be done because the charge is not making it to their systems to be denied so they can not make not to allow the charge.

What it sounds like is the CC companies in the Philippines are aware of the fact that the US card will be denied and never attempt to submit the request.

Is anyone else having trouble with any credit cards? So far I have only attempted to make the hotel reservation with my Visa Check Card. I have not tried my GM Mastercard or my AMEX card, both of which are true credit cards. However, both of these were denied by Cebu Pac and PAL a few weeks back.

If your not having trouble post what type of card it is and who the issueing bank is.

If anyone else is having trouble contact your CC company and find out if they also have a blanket block on all PAC rim countries.

Marc

Hello..i encountered same problem with yours when i purchase big amounts.coz im a supplementary or should i say extension of two credit cards namely US Bank and Bank of America account of my fiance..they were really strict on purchasing using CC especially here in Philippines..they would email or inform my fiance about fraudulent may happen...but that was last year..and im glad now i dont have any problem with it..and im glad :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.