Dr. A ♥ O

Update 3-Ships did not cut Egypt's Internet Cables

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ships did not cut internet cables: Egypt

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:05am AEDT

Ships are not responsible for damaging undersea internet cables in the Mediterranean, Egypt's Government says.

Two cables were damaged earlier this week in the Mediterranean sea and another off the coast of Dubai, causing widespread disruption to internet and international telephone services in Egypt, Gulf Arab states and South Asia.

A fourth cable linking Qatar to the United Arab Emirates was damaged on Sunday causing yet more disruptions, telecommunication provider Qtel said.

Egypt's transport ministry said footage recorded by onshore video cameras of the location of the cables showed no maritime traffic in the area when the cables were damaged.

"The ministry's maritime transport committee reviewed footage covering the period of 12 hours before and 12 hours after the cables were cut and no ships sailed the area," a statement said.

"The area is also marked on maps as a no-go zone and it is therefore ruled out that the damage to the cables was caused by ships."

Earlier reports said that the damage had been caused by ships that had been diverted off their usual route because of bad weather.

A repair ship is expected to begin work to fix the two Mediterranean cables on Tuesday.

- AFP

Source

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow......it is hard to believe they were damaged by nothing but weather. Anyway, Thanks God my SO got his home connection back today!! It has been horrible not being able to talk to him as much as I was use too. Inshallah he will be here soon. Our Interview is 7 days away.....I am so nervous. Hope everyone has connection back now.

Cheryl (F)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

That's good news. Waleed was able to send me text msgs but for some reason he isn't able to get my replies.

Wow......it is hard to believe they were damaged by nothing but weather. Anyway, Thanks God my SO got his home connection back today!! It has been horrible not being able to talk to him as much as I was use too. Inshallah he will be here soon. Our Interview is 7 days away.....I am so nervous. Hope everyone has connection back now.

Cheryl (F)

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
That's good news. Waleed was able to send me text msgs but for some reason he isn't able to get my replies.

Cheryl (F)

my husaband hasn't got his connection yet i'm hoping he will soon.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

we've just been texting and calling. The phone reception sucks but I don't think that's due to this.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Jack has had crappy internet, since the cable issue happened, up until yesterday and lost it all together, maybe they are starting to work on the lines. Phone connections had been crappy, since the cable issue, but when I called him on the cell last night it was just fine. So I am just greatful one of the two is good at a time. lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.