lovegirl

More tax issues...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay, I will try and make this simple.

I did not file taxes for 2006, basically because i got it all wrong. so here are the circumstances.

-I am an American citizen, my husband is British with a conditional resident greencard.

-we were married and lived in the U.S. for all of 2006

-I worked and my husband didn't for all of 2006

-however, he did earn interest on money in his British account.

I am thinking i should file a 1040A as married filing jointly (he does have a social security number)

BUT.... what other forms are needed and what evidence? I know as employees we send in our W-2's along with any other (bank) information, but would my husband need to send proof of his income[interest]?

I am confused as to the forms and foreign exclusions.

Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated, in the mean time i will continue to try and comprehend the info on the irs site!

Thanks-Megan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes, he needs to send proof of his interest income HOWEVER since this is foreign earned income it is exempt as long as it's below the threshhold. So what you need is a statement from the financial institution in question stating the amount of interest earned during the tax year, then the form 2555 to declare that income exempt.

Any income earned in the UK is exempt as long as it was below the threshhold ($~88k). Convert it to USD, declare it on your 1040A in the relevant spot for interest income, and fill out the 2555 so it will be exempt.

Timeline
Yes, he needs to send proof of his interest income HOWEVER since this is foreign earned income it is exempt as long as it's below the threshhold. So what you need is a statement from the financial institution in question stating the amount of interest earned during the tax year, then the form 2555 to declare that income exempt.

Any income earned in the UK is exempt as long as it was below the threshhold ($~88k). Convert it to USD, declare it on your 1040A in the relevant spot for interest income, and fill out the 2555 so it will be exempt.

Is that correct I was under the impression that foreign earned income exemption only applied if you lived outside the US. If you are a US resident you claim the income tax paid overseas against US tax.

We are just arranging an appointment with the accountant for ours for this year to make sure we claim the tax paid on my UK pension the best way, so as to try an avoid State income tax on it as well.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Is that correct I was under the impression that foreign earned income exemption only applied if you lived outside the US. If you are a US resident you claim the income tax paid overseas against US tax.

We are just arranging an appointment with the accountant for ours for this year to make sure we claim the tax paid on my UK pension the best way, so as to try an avoid State income tax on it as well.

I would never declare interest earned in a foreign account (not that I would ever have more than $88k earned in interest). But there is no way the US government would ever track it, besides, as I remember in the UK, when I earned my 4p of interested on my current account, there was always the 1p tax deduction :D

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

hi, i too am a bit confused about it all

so, as long as he made less than $88K last year in the UK, he is exempt from paying taxes but we still have to report his income when filing?

also, do i declare myself head of household since he didnt work here last year?

.png

AOS Timeline

7/26/2007 - Package sent to Chicago box

10/05/2007 - Biometrics Appointment

11/08/2007 - EAD approval notice by email

11/16/2007 - EAD card received

11/16/2007 - Advance Parole documents received

1/08/2008 - Interview

1/15/2008 - Approval notice received by email

1/25/2008 - Green Card received

I751 Timeline

12/22/2009 - NOA

1/26/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

3/29/2010 - ordered production of card!

"If a stranger lives with you in your land, do not ill-treat him.

Treat him as you would your native born

and love him as you love yourselves..."

LEVITICUS 19:33

Timeline

Yes.

I don't think you're eligible for HoH status (per the IRS):

Generally, to qualify for head of household status, you must be unmarried and you must have paid more than half the cost of maintaining as your home a household that was the main home for a qualifying person for more than half the year. You may also qualify for head of household status if you, though married, file a separate return, your spouse was not a member of your household during the last six months of the tax year, and you provided more than half the cost of maintaining as your home a household that was the main home for more than one half of your tax year of a qualifying person.

Timeline
It depends on where your tax home is, which doesn't necessarily coincide with your residence.

From the IRS web site

The foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, and the foreign housing deduction are based on foreign earned income. For this purpose, foreign earned income is income you receive for services you perform in a foreign country during a period your tax home is in a foreign country and during which you meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test.

Therefore if you live in the US you cannot claim this exclusion, as you are not resident where you earned that income.

In 2006 when we moved to the US we resided in the UK for 323 days and our accountant calculated our foreign earned income exemption as 323/365ths of the limit for that year.

You don't pay tax on money earned in the UK if UK tax has been paid on it under the reciprocal tax agreement between the UK and US. There a couple of ways it can be claimed against US tax or deducted from US tax owed, but which is the best in a particular circumstance I'm not sure.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Want to clear up a few misstatements on the posts here.

1. The exclusion everyone is mentioning is for "earned income" so only applies to wages (and related living allowances, etc.). So interest income is not excluded under this provision. To use the exclusion on a dual status year (resident in UK and resident in US during the year) gets complicated and involves allocation. Read rules carefully, consider using tax prep software or consult a tax accountant (depends on how many $s are at stake).

2. If you elect to be married filing joint then both husband & wife are also electing to be taxed on worldwide income which includes interest income. However, you might be able to get credit for taxes paid to another country. (But if you have left the UK you can stop them taking out taxes on interest ... there is a form you file)

3. Not reporting income ... it is illegal ... yes small amounts are unlikely to be found out but ... remember USCIS might want your tax returns someday.

I am a CPA who teaches tax as a university professor and I am finding it challenging to figure it all out.

Married : 08-04-2006, Cumbria, England

I-130

09-01-2006: Filed I-130 application

09-18-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email)!!

I-129F (K-3)

09-19-2006: Filed I-129F application

10-13-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email ... by mail on Feb. 5)!!

02-13-2007: received at NVC and sent to London Embassy

02-16-2007: received by London Embassy

02-27-2007: received and mailed back Packet 3

03-12-2007: Medical completed

03-15-2007: received email from Embassy providing interview date

03-19-2007: Packet 4 received by mail

04-18-2007: interview - approved!!!

04-21-2007: visa delivered

04-24-2007: husband arrives in US

04-27-2007: to civil surgeon for vaccination supplement

AOS & EAD

05-04-2007: Filed I-485 & I-765

05-11-2007: NOA for both (received by mail May 15)

05-16-2007: notice mailed for biometric appointment (received by mail May 21)

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

06-13-2007: biometric appointment

07-20-2007: EAD card production ordered

12-13-2007: interview & approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.