Guy&Hoa

My blue slip bullet points

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

Here are the bullet points that the CO needs addressed from me. Thought I would share for the good of all here.

Petitioner : Please explain how exactly you met

in Yahoo messenger. Please explain how you found out

each other's User IDs.

Petitioner : In a sworn statement,please explain

how you and Beneficiary communicate with each

other,given that at interview Beneficiary

demonstrated to have little to no English language

ability.

NOTE: I honestly do not have any problem communicating with my wife in English, I admit she is limited and I use simple words and a little Viet electronic dictionary for higher tier words. But since the 2nd, third and 4th visits, our messages click and we understand each other well. I can't fault the embassy, they have a right to question that.

Anyway, I'l be burning the midnight oil tonight , I gotta write some explanations...

I'll hope for the best..

-Guy&Hoa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Guy

What the Consulate is asking sounds reasonable and you should be able to satisfy them easily. Once they have your statemnets, I'm sure you'll get approved.

Thanks for the update, Thi and I have been talking about this, since she has only been using English since July 2006. She's been going to English school which has helped a lot. Thanks to your posts, she will be better prepared.

Good Luck

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Unfortunately the CO's don't seem to understand that communication between two people of different language is often unique to that couple. Communication can assume many forms and permutations. Couples become intimately familiar with each other's speaking pattern and accent, understanding each other where others would not. Familiar phrases and shared experiences are referenced in building a conversation between the couple. For times when couples are together, the visual expressions and non verbal communication can even transcend the verbal.

I know of a case where the American SO learned Vietnamese and communicated in that language with his fiancee. They pulled him in at his fiancee's interview and the translator gave him the thumbs down, saying he could not speak Vietnamese. Yet that is how they communicated. It took them a long time but eventually they got the visa.

CO's seem to make this assumption that in absence of total fluency in a shared language between the couple, the basis for communication does not exist at all. They should be looking at other information to get a broader view, like time spent together and written correspondence.

Don't let them hang you up on the communication thing. It's a weak point anyway for a denial, that's why you only got a blue slip. Make your case well and good luck.

Timeline

You are absolutely right, and that is the essence of what I wrote in my sworn statement to them. My fiancee and myself, even though her vocabulary is limited to simple English, it is the body language, facial cues and other non-verbal communications that make it personal and unique.

Thanks for the encouragement...

R/

-Guy&Hoa

Unfortunately the CO's don't seem to understand that communication between two people of different language is often unique to that couple. Communication can assume many forms and permutations. Couples become intimately familiar with each other's speaking pattern and accent, understanding each other where others would not. Familiar phrases and shared experiences are referenced in building a conversation between the couple. For times when couples are together, the visual expressions and non verbal communication can even transcend the verbal.

I know of a case where the American SO learned Vietnamese and communicated in that language with his fiancee. They pulled him in at his fiancee's interview and the translator gave him the thumbs down, saying he could not speak Vietnamese. Yet that is how they communicated. It took them a long time but eventually they got the visa.

CO's seem to make this assumption that in absence of total fluency in a shared language between the couple, the basis for communication does not exist at all. They should be looking at other information to get a broader view, like time spent together and written correspondence.

Don't let them hang you up on the communication thing. It's a weak point anyway for a denial, that's why you only got a blue slip. Make your case well and good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
You are absolutely right, and that is the essence of what I wrote in my sworn statement to them. My fiancee and myself, even though her vocabulary is limited to simple English, it is the body language, facial cues and other non-verbal communications that make it personal and unique.

R/

-Guy&Hoa

Dear Guy&Hoa,

I'm sorry to make you disappointed if any. I just want to say some of my experience.

I read your post and you said your wife could not talk English fluently but she could talk to you by body language. It's correct when both of you knew each other already and face by face.

But on the very first period, if she didn't know English, how can you talk and understand together on Yahoo messenger to have the relationship nowaday, did you use webcam?? I was wondering if the CO thought the same as I said.

I used to know my husband by a website. The CO asked me why I came to that website and my purpose when I registered the username on that website. I told them I liked to practice my English in writting, that's why I was looking for a penpal.

If you could explain your case in details for your first period to know each other, I think they will let your wife pass.

Timeline

Hi Hien,

Thanks for sharing. Let me be clear, when my fiancee and me first met, her English was minimal and she used translation software during our very first chat exchanges. We now are able to communicate very well, if I speak slow and enunciate my words. Also she reads and writes English better than she speaks it.

When I mention "body language" that is just a metaphor for observing the body for visual cues, i.e. facial expressions, body movements, it is a small part of the aggregate scope of our communication. Not to be taken solely on that point.

We didn't use webcams, we always thought they were tacky. We preferred the written word.

Yes, like you, I think the CO questions the communication on a first impression basis, but you need to look beyond that if all other evidence points to a long and close relationship, a good analogy would be like a blind man, even though his eyesight is taken away, his other senses are heightened to make up for his loss...same applies to us...even though my fiancee has limited English, our other senses aid in filling the "information gap" if you will.

Thanks for your comments.

R/

-Guy&Hoa

R/

-Guy&Hoa

Dear Guy&Hoa,

I'm sorry to make you disappointed if any. I just want to say some of my experience.

I read your post and you said your wife could not talk English fluently but she could talk to you by body language. It's correct when both of you knew each other already and face by face.

But on the very first period, if she didn't know English, how can you talk and understand together on Yahoo messenger to have the relationship nowaday, did you use webcam?? I was wondering if the CO thought the same as I said.

I used to know my husband by a website. The CO asked me why I came to that website and my purpose when I registered the username on that website. I told them I liked to practice my English in writting, that's why I was looking for a penpal.

If you could explain your case in details for your first period to know each other, I think they will let your wife pass.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.