FrankD

just wondering if any one can put me at ease

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

im going to california in march to see my girlfriend and im staying for a month, till april, but ive had another visit booked for a while from may to august, im just wondering if two visits close together wil piss off the immigration officer or something coz im a little worried bout that... i really dont want to not be able to see her itd kill me, specialy if they banned me or something :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Diificult to say what the immigration officer might think on the second trip. How many days were you intedning to stay. May to August could be more than the normal 90 days.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

They can always choose not to allow you to enter the country so it's advisable, though very hard, to be aware of that before setting out. Many people advise taking documents proving your intent to return to your home country. A return ticket is not enough on its own to convince a skeptical immigration officer.

That said, I don't know how often they actually do do this. I visited my fiance about 8 times in total, including one stay of just under the 90 days. I went each spring and fall, so a 6 month gap between each visit, and had no problems at all.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

The time will fly by :P

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My DF came to the US three times last year, and he's never had probs with immigration. This last time he didn't even get any questions asked at all going through immigration (other than how long he's here). I guess it depends on who it is.

As a tip....if you fly over, try going through Dublin. They have a US immigration control at the Dublin airport, staffed by Irish people. They tend to be more laid back there than the people you get when you go through immigration in the US.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
The time will fly by :P

just ignore that posting from myself I though I was in another thread

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
im staying for 88 days in the summer, im really worried that theyll keep me out =[

It is the two visits being close together which may give rise to some questioning and problems.

Are you able to take with you proof of ties to the UK, mortgage, job anything which shows you need to go back to the UK rather than leaving the immigration officer to think you are intending to stay.

They have a US immigration control at the Dublin airport, staffed by Irish people.

Are you sure that is correct the bit about them being Irish. USCIS is a federal job and for a federal job I thought you had to be a US citizen.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline
the problem is i dont have a job =/ i could get a reference from a previous job, would that do any good? or am i looking at getting kicked out of the country :(

That question is very difficult to answer. It is subjective and based on what the immigration officer who deals with you on the day thinks.

They may well take no notice of you and you go through without any problems. On the other hand they might think you are trying to circumnavigate the visa requirements and refuse you entry. Or anywhere in between and give you a hard time but let you in.

Appreciate the answer isn't helpful and while I would guess the odds are on you having no real problems no one on here can really know or give a definitive answer.

I think I would go via Dublin

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I went to the US for 89 days from Nov 06 - Feb 07. Started the K1 process in July 07. And I went twice after that last year, in Sept 07 and Dec 07. These trips were shorter tho (5 days and 3 weeks respectively).

My experience with the POE guys is mixed. They have never turned me away, but I've been sent to the secondary interview room twice. However this was mostly because my fingerprints weren't coming out right (I get pretty nervous after reading all the stuff on these boards!).

The one thing i would say is that when I was entering in Sept, they asked me how long my last stay was for. When I said '89 days', the guy immediately looked suspicious, and started firing off a barrage of questions. They do seem nervous of ppl who stay for a long time.

In your case, because your first trip is only for 30 days, I think you should be ok. One thing I might suggest is to take a copy of your UK bank statement - try to prove you have ties to the UK. I took a signed letter from my employer but I was never asked and I never showed it.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.