Beauty for Ashes

Rai Music ALGERIA AND MOROCCO

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The initial reason I even went to Oran was to research rai music. I had written a book about rai and had met several famous rai musicians. Rai is often thought by Americans to be Moroccan in origin but it is not. It is from the city Of Oran Algeria and is actually the product of both spanish, arabic, american influences and judeo arabic wedding music . Most americans are familiar with rai from DESERT ROSE , the other singer is Cheb Mami on that single with Sting.

I am going to post several famous rai performers who are very well known in Morocco and listened to and those of you married to Moroccans probably have husbands that are fans...

Rai, the purely Algerian Orani music....

zahouania ( dated my husbands uncle LOL)

cheb khaled ( hey beautiful girl from my country chebba)

Cheb Mami with Samira Saad from Morocco

Cheb Abbes

Cheb Bilal ( very famous in Morocco)

Magic system and Bilal ( super famous all over africa)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

my husband and i both love khaled, mami, and bilal! he plays bilal pretty much DAILY lately in our home. samira said is not bad too...:) i'll have to ask him about the other ones when he wakes up :)

ya salammmmm!

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

my husband and i both love khaled, mami, and bilal! he plays bilal pretty much DAILY lately in our home. samira said is not bad too...:) i'll have to ask him about the other ones when he wakes up :)

ya salammmmm!

bilal is from my husband's neighborhood. Tell your husband Kader and cheb redouane were at our wedding. Nasro is a long time friend of mine and my husband was 17 when Hasni was killed and knew him. His uncle dated Zahouania and my husband know Khaled very well. We had a rai wedding.

Your husband will like this guy Cheb Djelloul

My husband worked at this concert in Oran for Khaled

Khaled is from Sidi Houari Oran Algeria

This music is particular to the west of Algeria

cheb mimoun is cool too! (and he actually IS moroccan, no? hehe)

He is from Oujda, the Morocccan city of RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIi.... They always have oujdi in their names

this cheba has 6 kids and is pretty amazing. She runs the biggest cabaret

Rai in the reality is not a music listened to live in Algeria by most women at night . They listen on the radio and at home. But rai is more music of the night. This is a completely different story in Moroccco I think. In Morocco I guess women go out with their husbands etc.

Rai is a music for the bars. Many of the lyrics are about alcohol, loose women, heartbreak etc

cabarets are places for single and married men to go to meet um. women that can be um "purchased" When rai leaves Algeria it loses the cabaret connotation. But for many Algerian wives, Their husband or boyfriends trip to a cabaret can only leave to sadness.

this girl is always singing sad stories about her husband and father of her 6 kids hurting her

This Cheba is singing about her man that took her money and went to europe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.