Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Martin + Amie

Getting a CA DL on a new I-94

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

I posted soem threads a while ago about not being able to get a CA drivers license because my I-94 had expired and they needed proof of residency to allow me to take the written exam. I got advanced parole and went back to the UK for a week. I came back through LAX and they issued and stamped a new I-94 card in my passport.

I have been to the DMV numerous times to try and get a DL and each time they said they couldn't do anything because my I-94 had expired. I would be amazed if anyone else has landed themselves in this situation however if there are I would love to here about it.

My question is :

Can I go and take my written driving exam and then the pratical now I have a new and valid I-94 as a result of coming back on AP?

Any help is appreciated.

Best Regards

3-17-2004 - Met in London at Kingston University

3-25-2006 - I-129F sent off

3-27-2006 - Recieved at notorious CSC

3-31-2006 - NOA1

5-11-2006 - Amie moves to London to wait until visa approved

6-28-2006 - Received IMBRA RFE

7-12-2006 - Sent off RFE (from London)

7-24-2006 - CSC received RFE


9-14-2006 - NVC received case

9-30-2006 - Packet 3 received

10-4-2006 - Packet 3 sent out

10-17-2006 - Medical appointment

11-3-2006 - Packet 4 received

12-1-2006 - INTERVIEW - approved

12-14-2006 - Amie moves back home

1-1-2007 - Martin moves over

1-16-2007 - SSN received

3-18-2007 - MARRIED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically the answer to that is Yes because one of the criteria for California DMV is that you have ONE of the following which you now do:


Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

Permanent Resident Card

Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)

Employment Authorization Card

Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport

Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)

You will however need to bear in mind the 30/60 days rule which CA enforces quite strictly:

Limited Term Legal Presence

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date/legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

If your BD/LP document has an expiration date of less than 60 days, you may complete your licensing requirements (written/vision/driving tests), but you will need to submit another BD/LP document with an expiration date of 60 days or more before your driver license or identification card is mailed to you.

Hope that helps.

Edited by perfect



17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days



4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail


8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED


April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.