Ta Ta

Sub-saharan cyber cafe

4,195 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Which reminds me.............have we located Chispas yet?

OOPS! :blush:

Yes. I've heard from her. She is hanging in there. She has somethings she is handling right now and have been pretty busy. She said that she heard people have been inquiring about her and she is grateful. She said she will try to check in as soon as things slow down a bit.

How long did it take for him to slow down?

Bassi is a footballer so I expect that there will be eating spurts whenever he's heavy duty training. But this has been a bit overwhelming for me to say the least. I feel almost like a short order cook. But I'm adjusting.

Kobby too is a footballer...has not played much since he has been here though. He slowed down perhaps a couple of months after getting here. He was stuck on Oxtail and rice and peas for a while! :lol:

Side Question: Do you make pepper pot during christmas? :whistle: Mmmmmm.....

You might have to make that trip to Costco sooner than later :lol:

Great to hear about her. I'll keep praying for her. I hope we hear from her soon.

Yeah, I may be heading out the BJs to stock up cause my daughter comes home on Monday and between the two of them I won't be able to keep up!

No pepper pot. We don't eat pork. My mom still does though.

When you come from an area of famine or rationing of food to a state of abundance, you tend to over do it.

p.s. Zainab, do you speak spanish or some variation of?????

I do. But not because of being from Guyana. It's the only english speaking country on the continent....formerly called British Guiana. We were a British colony before we gained independence.

Which reminds me.............have we located Chispas yet?

Zainab, have you taken him to an all you can eat buffet yet ?

Girl the way this man is eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think it's a good idea until he slows down. He's eating like a maniac. I have to go to the grocery store again tomorrow and we've only been home for four days. Is it the altitude? He's eating something as I type. Last night he said hunger "attacked" him at midnight and went downstairs and ate all of my left over Italian. ALL OF IT!!!!! I almost took him to the Country Buffet for breakfast on Sunday, but I was afraid he might kill himself. I'm gonna wait until this wears off. When will it wear off ya'll?

I don't remember us discussing this when we talked about what happens when they arrive. But my mom told me that it's normal. We're from Guyana in South America (part of the West Indies) and when my family immigrated, they all had initial periods of eating like crazy, then they settled in. I wonder what that's about really? It's so wierd. Not to mention expensive. He ate his whole steak and half of mine at dinner tonight. Kay and I used to eat off of two steaks for about three days.

Kobby was like that...He still goes through periods of that some times, though not as often.

He's just greedy though :lol: Skinny, tall, and greedy!!!! :lol: I hate the male physique!

How long did it take for him to slow down?

Bassi is a footballer so I expect that there will be eating spurts whenever he's heavy duty training. But this has been a bit overwhelming for me to say the least. I feel almost like a short order cook. But I'm adjusting.

I spoke to Chis today. She is umm...okay for now. Things have been very hectic for her but she is a trooper. Please Keep her in your prayers for comfort, "peace" of mind and financial blessings. She has been going through, but now she is coming out, slowly.

Remind her that God puts us in the wilderness to break a new thing out of us. Just wait on the Lord and everything will work itself out the right way. I'll keep her in my thoughts as well.

already done :thumbs::thumbs:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Off Topic....

Statistics for Business and Economics SUCKS !!!!!!!!

I should have taken this class in the fall, it is only the 1st week and already time consuming ARGH !!!

Oooooo, I'm sorry sweetie. I thank GOD I"m not in school right now! Sorry Asante. :blush:

Are you home Steph? What happened with the dresses? You've probably posted this somewhere, but I'm still catching up.

Hey Zainab

I am glad you made it through your last two days, I know they were difficult for you.

Yes I made it home this weekend and my dress is 95 percent finished. You know Ghana it needs to be cleaned and ironed and i SHOULD PROBABLY LOOSE A COUPLE OF POUNDS (cause it is fitted and my train is way to long). But, other than that everything is good thanks for asking.

I have a meeting with my wedding party this weekend and everyone will try them on, I'll take some finished pics and post them.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I've been ordered :rolleyes: to let you all know that Bassi and I are getting married on Wednesday. :wub:

We were waiting on the scheduling because the mayor is marrying us but he is out of town and then right back out of town after that, so we fit in on Wednesday and we're going to go ahead and do it. We're getting married in the mayor's office in front of the fireplace (in July), but his assistant told me it's beautiful.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
now here you go, "whats a pepper pot?" :blink::wacko:

and must we revive the recipe thread??? :whistle:

Its like a brown stew made with oxtails (Z said some people prepare it with pork)...its very tasty...a Caribbean dish mainly prepared by West Indians, Guyana included.

I don't eat pork either. I've always had pepper pot made with oxtails, not pork. I did not even know it could be prepared with pork.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Timeline
Off Topic....

I should have taken this class in the fall, it is only the 1st week and already time consuming ARGH !!!

Oooooo, I'm sorry sweetie. I thank GOD I"m not in school right now! Sorry Asante. :blush:

Are you home Steph? What happened with the dresses? You've probably posted this somewhere, but I'm still catching up.

Hey Zainab

I am glad you made it through your last two days, I know they were difficult for you.

Yes I made it home this weekend and my dress is 95 percent finished. You know Ghana it needs to be cleaned and ironed and i SHOULD PROBABLY LOOSE A COUPLE OF POUNDS (cause it is fitted and my train is way to long). But, other than that everything is good thanks for asking.

I have a meeting with my wedding party this weekend and everyone will try them on, I'll take some finished pics and post them.

Great! I can't wait to see the pics!!

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Timeline
I've been ordered :rolleyes: to let you all know that Bassi and I are getting married on Wednesday. :wub:

We were waiting on the scheduling because the mayor is marrying us but he is out of town and then right back out of town after that, so we fit in on Wednesday and we're going to go ahead and do it. We're getting married in the mayor's office in front of the fireplace (in July), but his assistant told me it's beautiful.

AKWAABA BASSI!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet you! CONGRATS!!!!

A Bouquet for you...(F) (F) (F)

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

We were waiting on the scheduling because the mayor is marrying us but he is out of town and then right back out of town after that, so we fit in on Wednesday and we're going to go ahead and do it. We're getting (in July), but his assistant told me

married in the mayor's office in front of the fireplace...

(its so romantic) it's beautiful. :crying::crying::crying:

:P(L)

I Am Uno!

Timeline

Its like a brown stew made with oxtails (Z said some people prepare it with pork)...its very tasty...a Caribbean dish mainly prepared by West Indians, Guyana included.

I don't eat pork either. I've always had pepper pot made with oxtails, not pork. I did not even know it could be prepared with pork.

Oh, in Guyana it's made with pork and beef. But mainly pork, just about every part of the pig actually. No oxtails at all. I have had oxtail stew made with cassarep instead of tomatoe sauce, but we don't call that pepper pot. Though it really is the same ingredients isn't it? I should try that. Bassi can be my guinea pig.

AOS

I should be more specific....

I wanted a recipe...dangit :devil::devil:

and I'm sure its "tasty" :angry:

I Am Uno!

Timeline

CONGRATS on the upcoming nuptials...The mayor's office ? UH HUMM. I heard that...... It is good to know people in high places ;)

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

Timeline
Off Topic....

Hey Zainab

Great! I can't wait to see the pics!!

Sorry let me clarify' your last two days in Ghana that is. I KNOW your last two days with Bassi have been excellent.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

Timeline
Oh, in Guyana it's made with pork and beef. But mainly pork, just about every part of the pig actually. No oxtails at all. I have had oxtail stew made with cassarep instead of tomatoe sauce, but we don't call that pepper pot. Though it really is the same ingredients isn't it? I should try that. Bassi can be my guinea pig.

I guess its the more healthier version done by Guyanese in the US. My "Guyanese mom" makes it every Christmas... and only Christmas since she only uses oxtail and you know that its crazy expensive. Trust me....Bassi will love it. There was a time I was not eating red meat, but I would make the only exception for pepper pot made with oxtail! :D

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

hey y'all, can some body translate what this name means, not the first name, but the second and third names...please????? :blink::unsure:

Angelmadaline Mameamoakuwa Yeboah

for the record, this is my nieces name in ghana, she is one years old. pix to follow later.

thanx.

UNO (F)

I Am Uno!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.