4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi There,

I've filed an I-130 for my wife (Canadian) back in September and has not received any information since, so I am guessing it's still pending. Anyway, just to be ahead of the game, I have some questions regarding the I-864. From what I understand, I have to have an income above the poverty line in order to sponsor my wife into the United States and also have a family member file as a secondary sponsor. However my condition is that I am currently unemployed because I just finished my undergrad degree recently in Dec and is still looking for a job. I was wondering because I am unemployed will this postpone my sponsorship of my wife even if I have a secondary sponsorship from my sister? Also, is there a time duration as to how long I have to be employed, for the sponsoring to take into effect ? Do I need to be earning an income in the US to sponsor my wife or can I find a job in Canada (paying taxes to US government of course) and declare it down as my source of income to sponsor my wife?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Your being unemployed will not hinder you being able to sponsor your wife, with a cosponsor who meets the poverty guidelines.

There isn't a guideline as to how long you need to be employed. In theory as long as you have paystubs and a letter from your employer etc, with enough income, that shouldn't be a problem - however it wouldn't hurt to have a back up cosponsor since your employment may have been very short at the time you submit the I-864.

Your Canadian income can not be counted towards the affidavit of support (unless it will continue from the same source when you move to the U.S.).

If your goal is to live in Canada with your wife while you application is being processed, that isn't a problem as long as you have the cosponsor.

Good luck :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

Your being unemployed will not hinder you being able to sponsor your wife, with a cosponsor who meets the poverty guidelines.

There isn't a guideline as to how long you need to be employed. In theory as long as you have paystubs and a letter from your employer etc, with enough income, that shouldn't be a problem - however it wouldn't hurt to have a back up cosponsor since your employment may have been very short at the time you submit the I-864.

Your Canadian income can not be counted towards the affidavit of support (unless it will continue from the same source when you move to the U.S.).

If your goal is to live in Canada with your wife while you application is being processed, that isn't a problem as long as you have the cosponsor.

Good luck :thumbs:

Thank you very much Trailmix!! I really appreciate the info. It's clearer to me now.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you very much Trailmix!! I really appreciate the info. It's clearer to me now.

No problem, you're welcome! You might also want to check out the Canada forum, lots of good info there:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.