Kharkov_Natalie

Misspelling on Russian passport

8 posts in this topic

We would like to go ahead and file the I-130 in Kyiv and get the process in the works before we get my husband's passport if possible. I know that we don't have to show the passport until the interview, however, we also know that the transliterated name on the Russian passport is supposed to match the name we put on the I-130 docs.

Does anyone know what happens if they don't match? We are going to try to make sure that the people doing the passport spell his name as we request it, but it is Russia and it's a crapshoot if it comes out right. How hard is it on the American side to get it straightened out if we can't get it right on the Russian side?

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
We would like to go ahead and file the I-130 in Kyiv and get the process in the works before we get my husband's passport if possible. I know that we don't have to show the passport until the interview, however, we also know that the transliterated name on the Russian passport is supposed to match the name we put on the I-130 docs.

Does anyone know what happens if they don't match? We are going to try to make sure that the people doing the passport spell his name as we request it, but it is Russia and it's a crapshoot if it comes out right. How hard is it on the American side to get it straightened out if we can't get it right on the Russian side?

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

i think it would be better to straighten it out on the american side to make it match the russian passport.

Первый блин комом.

• 2 weeks later...

You can go ahead and do it, and if the names don't match, no big deal, it's just a misspelling. However, how are you going to put his passport number down?

Anyway, regardless of what you have on those documents, when you apply for his AOS in the States, you can list whatever you want (as in, the correctly spelled name) to be his "new" name on his green card. That will take care of any spelling problems on either side.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

You can go ahead and do it, and if the names don't match, no big deal, it's just a misspelling. However, how are you going to put his passport number down?

Anyway, regardless of what you have on those documents, when you apply for his AOS in the States, you can list whatever you want (as in, the correctly spelled name) to be his "new" name on his green card. That will take care of any spelling problems on either side.

Thanks for your reply, Slim but...

1. They don't ask for Passport Number on the I-130. In fact, you don't have to have an international passport at the time of filing. But I was told by the Embassy last time that we went that we should wait and get his passport before we apply so the spelling will be correct.

2. We will not file AOS in the States because we are married. He is not entering on a fiancee visa, but an immigrant visa and will become a Permanent Resident upon crossing the border.

The reason that I wanted to know the outcome of having the spelling on I-130 in English not match the international passport, is because we don't want to have to wait to file the I-130 after we get his passport. We would like to have both processes running simulataneously because the international passport can take up to 4 months to get as they have to send a request back to his home town in Siberia to get his records and that is where things get bogged down.

So, I just wanted to know if anyone had that experience and what the fall out was on the American side.

We are going to take our chances and I think my husband found a place on the internet that says that if your name is misspelled in English on your Russian passport, you can get a special stamp that has a place to write in the way you would like for it to be spelled.

Who knows? One thing that I have learned from this whole process is that the rules seem to be different all over the internet and from OVIR to OVIR and no one really seems to know the right answers. It will be a relief when we just have to deal with the American side... it is at least well documented and the same for all!

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

2. We will not file AOS in the States because we are married. He is not entering on a fiancee visa, but an immigrant visa

Are you sure about that, because what is he going to use to enter the U.S., his passport that he doesn't have yet or the green card that he doesn't have yet either?

He will get his passport (hopefully soon!) and the visa that he will use to enter the U.S. will be fixed to the inside of that passport, not his green card.

and will become a Permanent Resident upon crossing the border.

This is another one of those "technicalities" similar to the K-1 "it's a non-immigrant visa for an intending immigrant" type deals. He doesn't arrive at the airport and they hand him a green card. There is still some sort of Adjustment of Status from using a K-3 visa to becoming an LPR and thusly being issued a green card.

To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure how they'll do your particular case. You guys have a unique case in that you're there with him and will be returning to the States together. If they were to issue his green card at the embassy then he would obviously have to present an international passport at the time of issuance and therefore there would be no spelling issue because the person typing up his green card would be staring right at his passport. Then, he could enter the U.S. using his green card and not a K-3 visa. (I believe this is somewhat similar to what the DV Lottery winners do.)

The reason that I wanted to know the outcome of having the spelling on I-130 in English not match the international passport, is because we don't want to have to wait to file the I-130 after we get his passport. We would like to have both processes running simulataneously because the international passport can take up to 4 months

Regardless of how they spell the name, there's still going to be an interview or biometrics or something prior to green card issuance where he'll have to interact with the U.S. authorities and by that time, he'll already have his international passport.

Please post how this goes for you guys. You have an interesting case, unique to this forum so far. I'd like to know how it goes for you and what the requirements are.... and how they're doing it today! Good luck. Hope to see the "we got it" post soon.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

2. We will not file AOS in the States because we are married. He is not entering on a fiancee visa, but an immigrant visa

Are you sure about that, because what is he going to use to enter the U.S., his passport that he doesn't have yet or the green card that he doesn't have yet either?

He will get his passport (hopefully soon!) and the visa that he will use to enter the U.S. will be fixed to the inside of that passport, not his green card.

and will become a Permanent Resident upon crossing the border.

This is another one of those "technicalities" similar to the K-1 "it's a non-immigrant visa for an intending immigrant" type deals. He doesn't arrive at the airport and they hand him a green card. There is still some sort of Adjustment of Status from using a K-3 visa to becoming an LPR and thusly being issued a green card.

To be quite honest, I'm not 100% sure how they'll do your particular case. You guys have a unique case in that you're there with him and will be returning to the States together. If they were to issue his green card at the embassy then he would obviously have to present an international passport at the time of issuance and therefore there would be no spelling issue because the person typing up his green card would be staring right at his passport. Then, he could enter the U.S. using his green card and not a K-3 visa. (I believe this is somewhat similar to what the DV Lottery winners do.)

The reason that I wanted to know the outcome of having the spelling on I-130 in English not match the international passport, is because we don't want to have to wait to file the I-130 after we get his passport. We would like to have both processes running simulataneously because the international passport can take up to 4 months

Regardless of how they spell the name, there's still going to be an interview or biometrics or something prior to green card issuance where he'll have to interact with the U.S. authorities and by that time, he'll already have his international passport.

Please post how this goes for you guys. You have an interesting case, unique to this forum so far. I'd like to know how it goes for you and what the requirements are.... and how they're doing it today! Good luck. Hope to see the "we got it" post soon.

Slim -

We are doing DCF. We must have his passport before the final interview which is generally about a month after we file (DCF is sweet). So, even though we are approved in one month, we have to wait to get his passport before we can schedule the interview.

My question is this... we file the paperwork with one spelling... in the meantime, get the international passport and the spelling is different. Then, we schedule the interview.

I do realize that they will put the immigrant visa in his international passport. That is why we must wait to get the passport.

We are not doing a K3. We are doing DCF which is a CR1. He gets his immigrant visa and when he crosses the border he becomes a permanent resident and his greencard is mailed within 3 weeks. That is how I understand it. There are no processes in the States except to remove conditions in 2 years.

That is why DCF rocks! It will cost us $800 and take 2 months if we get the passport soon.

Natalie

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Actually, I just read that he does truly become a PR when he crosses the border. He gets a permanent resident stamp in his passport that functions like a greencard until he gets his official greencard in the mail. He can travel and work immediately.

So, now we just have to hope that we don't have anything crazy like FBI name check. But, when I asked the embassy when that check is done (before approval or before final interview) they had no idea what I was talking about and said that they have never had that happen to anyone that has filed at the Kyiv Consulate. So, hopefully, we won't be the first.

Removing Conditions

• May 10 2010 - Approved

Cool, DCF does rock!

So when he goes for the "final" interview they issue a CR-1 that is valid for entry and auto PR status? That's definitely a benefit. Hell, for $800, the whole process sounds like a steal!

I don't see them having a problem with the passport being a different name. After all, it's a transliteration. Folks at the embassy can read both languages and know Sergei is the same as Sergey or Surgey or Seirgay or however else OVIR wants to spell it that day.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.