2 posts in this topic

hi all,

I just discovered this fantastic forum--wish I'd known about it earlier!

my husband and I have our AOS interview on Monday, and have pretty much compiled as much documentation as possible. I wonder if anyone can give advice about how to deal with two tricky areas in my immigration record (if they ask):

1) I came to the US at the age of 8 (I'm 27 now) with my parents; my dad had a student visa and so did I. my parents didn't know that I'd need a student visa every time I went to a different school, though, and the schools never asked, so I didn't have another student visa until I was in college. (after that I got an h-1, an h-1, then applied for aos based on marriage.)

Will I likely be questioned about this? if the interviewer asks, shoudl I be honest about being undocumented for almost 10 years, or feign ignorance and say that the paperwork and passport was lost?

2) a couple years ago I didn't apply to renew my ead in time, so my company tried to get me an H-1 and was denied. so while I waited for my ead to arrive, I ended up working abroad for my company for a couple months.

could I get in trouble for this somehow?

thanks for your help -- I'd really appreciate any words of advice.

They are usually very lenient about gaps. I had some in mine, including overstayed visa and non-ead employment. The interviewer did not seem to care. They are mostly concerned that 1. marriage is real and 2. we have enough money to support ourselves.

2000 – 2005 – F-1 Student

09/08/2005 – Civil Ceremony

09/20/2005 – I-485, I-130, I-765 sent by DHL to Chicago

09/22/2005 – Package received in Chicago

09/27/2005 – NOA date for all paperwork

09/28/2005 – Checks cashed

09/29/2005 – I-485 and I-130 NOAs received in mail. I-765 paper NOA missing

Case touched daily for 3 days straight, even on Saturday

10/08/2005 – Real Ceremony with friends and family

10/11/2005 – Letter for Biometrics appointment on Oct 18th

10/18/2005 – Biometrics completed for I-485 – case touched everyday since until 10/22/05

11/30/2005 – Email from USCIS saying that “latest communication regarding I-765 was returned as undeliverable.” Re-requested through the CS line.

12/05/2005 – Interview letter, scheduling an interview in SF for 02/02/2006 – only 4 months and 10 days after the “received date.”

12/23/2005 - Infopass appointment - to check on non-scheduled biometrics and EAD. Did biometrics on spot, immediately approved for EAD

02/02/2006 - Interview success.

02/03/2006 - Email from USCIS that I-130 has been approved

02/13/2006 - Letter and Email from USCIS that I-485 has been approved

02/14/2006 - Green Card in the mail. 5 month painless process is over. Debating whether it was luck or OCD that saw me through this so effortlessly.

01/28/2008 - I-751 sent in for removing conditions

02/01/2008 - receipt issued

03/06/2008 - biometrics completed

10/15/2008 - interview with USCIS

11/07/2008 - perm green card in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.