Sharon

Anyone applied for a new Canadian Passport from the USA?

39 posts in this topic

Has anyone applied for a new Canadian passport from the USA at all recently??

I'm wondering how long it takes. The website states that they aim to have it processed within 20 days of receiving it (excluding mail delivery time), so I'm figuring if it takes about a week each way to get to and from Quebec from Virginia, then I estimate that it should be in my hands within 5 to 6 weeks.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case for sure? :)

I sent out the applications almost a week ago (registered and return receipt requested...almost TWELVE BUCKS! :wacko: ) for mine and my daughter's passports because they expire in June - am I being too hopeful if I make tentative plans to travel to Canada for June 24th, do ya think? :unsure:

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I havent done it, but I know back in canada they are super quick with passport turn arounds!! I went into halifax, and about a week later it was mailed to me. I was suprised how fast it was.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I havent done it, but I know back in canada they are super quick with passport turn arounds!! I went into halifax, and about a week later it was mailed to me. I was suprised how fast it was.

We added the observation to Melissa's passport.. we got it back in about 3 weeks...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Sharon, you can make plans to travel to Canada with no issue--as you already indicated they are "tentative".

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

but I wouldn't go and buy any non-refundable air tickets! ;)

Or have already sent a 500$ deposit and reserved a cottage north of Montreal for the week of June 24th - July 1st, you mean?

Something like that?

Heh.

:unsure:

:whistle:

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: Other Timeline

but I wouldn't go and buy any non-refundable air tickets! ;)

Or have already sent a 500$ deposit and reserved a cottage north of Montreal for the week of June 24th - July 1st, you mean?

Something like that?

Heh.

:unsure:

:whistle:

is it refundable? ;)

sounds lovely tho! Have fun, and take bug repellent :cool:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

It's refundable only if I cancel within 30 days of my expected arrival date. I guess that gives me enough time - if the passports aren't here by May 24th, it'll be 6 weeks since I applied so I could always cancel the cottage then if I really had to. Really hate to do that tho. :unsure: A week up north (yeah we're already stocking up on the repellent haha shouldn't be too bad at the end of June tho) with all 3 of my kids and my hubby on a lake in this cottage.

And then 2 nights in a hotel room in downtown Montreal so I can share the "Canada Day and Fireworks at the Old Port" experience with my American hubby for the first time. :thumbs: I'd REALLY hate having to cancel it when I am already SO looking forward to it all.

Yeah yeah I know we shouldn't have reserved the cottage unless I was sure and blah blah :P

It was all just too exciting! :D

Now, if it doesn't all blow up in my face, I'll be a happy camper! :whistle:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

do you need your passport? when I went up to Canada a week or so ago all I showed them was my Greencard , they never asked for my passport .... I did this both ways with no problems...

but I guess it is better to be safe then sorry

mvSuprise-hug.gif

do you need your passport? when I went up to Canada a week or so ago all I showed them was my Greencard , they never asked for my passport .... I did this both ways with no problems...

but I guess it is better to be safe then sorry

Huh? But your greencard doesn't prove that you are a Canadian citizen? :no:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, really, you don't have to be a Canadian citizen to visit Canada.

No clue how it all works, but back when I was an LPR (man... I hate reminding myself of that :crying: ) I went to visit family in Canada for Christmas and I just used my green card both ways. It seems silly now, but at the time it never crossed my mind to use my Canadian passport to enter Canada. I wonder, if Canada has similar rules to the US (that you have to enter the country as a citizen), then why would people have been successful in crossing the border with just the green card?

Edited to add: You know what? I just pulled out the good ol'green card. It states your country of birth right on it... so if you're a Canadian citizen by birth, maybe that's got something to do with it being accepted. *shrug*

Edited by Amy and Brian

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

Edited to add: You know what? I just pulled out the good ol'green card. It states your country of birth right on it... so if you're a Canadian citizen by birth, maybe that's got something to do with it being accepted. *shrug*

Thanks Amy and Brian! You are so right! :yes:

Well that's a load off my mind then. I'm willing to take the chance and if anything is said, I'll be completely honest and tell him/her that I sent all my important documents when I applied for my passport and haven't received it yet. Hell I even still have the receipt from the post office because I sent it registered too. That's why I will have no original birth certificate, marriage certificate or the like. I DO have copies of all tho and will take them as well to be safe.

I should be just fine! :D

Montreal...here I come! :dance:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

When I went across the border into Canada, they asked if we were US citizens and Hubby said yes he was and I told them I was a permanent resident of the US and showed them my Greencard.... same thing on the way back.....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep you all posted on this - I received back the "return receipt" part of the passport forms I sent "registered mail & return receipt requested". just this morning. It states that it was received in Gatineau, Quebec on May 1st. So far, from April 13th's post date, it's been a little under a month since I mailed them out. Hoping to receive the passports back by the end of this month now and will let you know when they arrive.

Marilyn, you telling me you just used your green card to cross over the border makes me feel much more secure, thank you. :) At least I won't be totally freaking out if I don't get our passports in time...lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As I recall, they didnt care for my passport, but wanted to see my green card!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.