teachmehistory

DS 156 Form and Passport Photo Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

okay so here is the question, we are getting our packet 3 ready to send off to the embassy, do we attach passport photos to the section where one goes when we send it in?? do you do this for both the copies since this form is required in duplicate? if so, then how many more passport photos do we need for the both interview and the medical??

Also, please just double check me, the more we look stuff over the more I am unsure of all the instructions! just don't want to get it wrong! we are sending off:

the checklist

DS 156

DS 156K

DS 157

DS 230 (do we send both part 1 and 2 or just part 1)

Thanks for any help. We don't want anything to be wrong and this forum knows all!!!!!

Sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I was in exactly the same situation a week ago! It seems really simple, get a couple forms done and get them sent back...then the worrying sets in that there might be a tiny mistake!

I think i printed out my forms 3 or 4 times before i got them done the way i wanted!

So here's my advice...

You need to send back the DS156 (DONT SIGN)

You need to send back the DS156k (DONT SIGN)

You need to send back the DS230 PART1 in duplicate (DO SIGN) I did attach a photo to both copies of the DS230 - it doesnt matter if you do or you dont, if you dont then you need to make sure u take the passport photos with you. I did stick a photo on each form, but i will be taking a few passport photos with me on the day just in case

You need to send back the DS157 (If you fit the criteria (Males only i think, not sure why though!))

You need to send back the checklist to say that you have all your forms.

With regards to the medical, you need that form completed that shoulda been at the back of packet 3...sign this and take it with you. You will also need to take a passport photo with you to the medical. My plans are just basically to have 3 or 4 passport photos on me when i go to the medical and when i go to the interview...can never be too careful!!

I sent it recorded signed for and it was delivered at the embassy 36 hours later, cant really complain! Still waiting on packet 4 though.

Good Luck, if you need anything else just pipe up!

:time:

Edited by ddkm

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My packet 3 told me that I need to bring 2 passport photos to the interview - I do not need to send them back with Packet 3. I only sent the DS-230 (part 1), DS-156, DS-156K and the checklist back. I didn't need to send DS-157 because I'm female.

Sara, have you received Packet 3 yet or are you using the one that was scanned here onto VJ?

Gillian

Edited by English Muffin

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

We are using the packet 3 scanned here on VJ. why?? is there something missing or something we don't have?? We just wanted to get it back to them before the holiday as we have a feb 16th wedding date planned and are hoping on a wing and a prayer to get an interview date by the end of January! thanks for any help.

Timeline
We are using the packet 3 scanned here on VJ. why?? is there something missing or something we don't have?? We just wanted to get it back to them before the holiday as we have a feb 16th wedding date planned and are hoping on a wing and a prayer to get an interview date by the end of January! thanks for any help.

I only asked because my Packet 3 (which I received recently) was quite specific about taking the photos to the interview and not sending them in. I can't find the one that is scanned on here now and so I can't compare them. Can you provide a link and I'll see if it's up to date?

Gillian

Edited by English Muffin

Timeline

Ok, I managed to find the scanned version on here and it's the same one as mine. It does say that you only send back the forms (DS-156 etc.) and check list at this stage, just tick the box to confirm that you have the photos in your possession and you will need to present them on the day of the interview. I didn't send any photos back with my Packet 3 and when I called the DoS on Friday they confirmed that it had been received, was in order and they will schedule an interview date soon.

If you need any other help give me a shout.

Gillian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.