daisylynn

FINALLY got the police record

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We finally got the police record back (fingerprint version, so of course it took awhile!) Annoying things is that it said EXACTLY the same thing that the local police cert. did. Why is it that we needed the fingerprint version anyway? :angry:

I'm getting ready to send in packet 3 but have a couple of last minute questions. I'm sure I've asked some of these before. I've tried to go back and reread some of the posts but there was conflicting advice on some of them. So, I just wanted some fresh advise before I send this in.

DS230 #30b CMT-What do I check? Dh was charged with assault and uttering threats. There was suspended sentence and probation 1 year for each charge. I am afraid if I check 'yes' that they won't look any further and we won't be granted an interview. But if I check 'no' and they decide it was a CMT, will they say we lied? Or will they just think we didn't think it would be considered that? Can we leave it blank or is that bad too?

#33b- Consent to Disclosure-Do I check 'yes' here?

On the back of the checklist, under Applicant's Statement, It says, "I intend to apply:

-alone

-together with my spouse

-together with my spouse and the following minor children

For some reason, when I first filled this out (months ago) I thought it meant who would be going with dh to the interview. But since then I've realized that it just means who is applying for the visa. But I already checked the 3rd option. Can I cross all of that out and initial it? How do I correct that?

I think that's it. I am SO excited to finally get this packet 3 sent back in!!!

IR-1 Visa

8-14-2007 Mailed in husband's I-130 to Consulate in Toronto

8-15-2007 Toronto received I-130

8-27-2007 Toronto called to set up I-130 appointment

8-31-2007 Interview at Consulate Approved

9-25-2007 Received Packet 3 in mail

12-9-2007 Received police record (fingerprint version)

1-18-2008 Sent packet 3 back

2-26-2008 heard back from Montreal via email about our interview date

4-23-2008 Montreal Interview!!! Visa APPROVED!!

5-31-2008 Crossed the border into the US to live! :) (one of the happiest days!!)

Currently residing in NC and loving it!

03/2011 Looking into getting dh US citizenship (and just when I thought we were done with all the paperwork! Ha!

US Citizenship timeline:

3-18-2011 Paperwork/check sent

3-25-2011 Check cashed

3-25-2011 NOA

4-16-2011 Fingerprints

6-15-2011 Interview

7-02-2011 Oath Ceremony We're done!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
We finally got the police record back (fingerprint version, so of course it took awhile!) Annoying things is that it said EXACTLY the same thing that the local police cert. did. Why is it that we needed the fingerprint version anyway? :angry:

I'm getting ready to send in packet 3 but have a couple of last minute questions. I'm sure I've asked some of these before. I've tried to go back and reread some of the posts but there was conflicting advice on some of them. So, I just wanted some fresh advise before I send this in.

DS230 #30b CMT-What do I check? Dh was charged with assault and uttering threats. There was suspended sentence and probation 1 year for each charge. I am afraid if I check 'yes' that they won't look any further and we won't be granted an interview. But if I check 'no' and they decide it was a CMT, will they say we lied? Or will they just think we didn't think it would be considered that? Can we leave it blank or is that bad too?

#33b- Consent to Disclosure-Do I check 'yes' here?

On the back of the checklist, under Applicant's Statement, It says, "I intend to apply:

-alone

-together with my spouse

-together with my spouse and the following minor children

For some reason, when I first filled this out (months ago) I thought it meant who would be going with dh to the interview. But since then I've realized that it just means who is applying for the visa. But I already checked the 3rd option. Can I cross all of that out and initial it? How do I correct that?

I think that's it. I am SO excited to finally get this packet 3 sent back in!!!

Hi Daisy,

With respect to question #30b, I'm tempted to say "leave it blank" but that might trigger a return for incompleteness (is that even a word?). I don't think it makes a difference since you will be sending the police record. I fully expect the fingerprint search to be the same as the name search. If there's a discrepancy, then there's a problem. Sometimes people get arrested and give a false name or otherwise change their name and you can't change your fingerprints. You could check off NO on the form and explain that you (TRUTHFULLY) have no idea what a crime of moral turpitude means.

For question #33b the answer is yes since it doesn't make a difference what you check off. If you read the disclaimer, "

The applicant's response does not limit or restrict the Government's

ability to obtain his or her SSN, or other information on this form, for

enforcement or other purposes as authorized by law.

Res ipsa loquitur (a fancy Latin term used by lawyers that means Well Duh! :lol: )

So whatever you put is irrelevant for immigration purposes. Why they ask you the question in the first place is beyond my level of comprehension (legal reasons, yea right :crying: ). It only applies to issuance of the SSN, so answer yes, there's no reason not to.

To correct, cross it out or print out another copy of DS-230 or leave it in and attach a letter of explanation. You might just correct it at the consulate.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.