vareska

Forgot to notify of address change

6 posts in this topic

Moved to our new address right after POE (2009), got green card and other communication on old address which is still my parents' address where we still receive some mail (bank statements and some other financial info) and we are planning to use it as mailing address when I send in I-865.

I am freaking about the part where it says failure to notify of new address within 10 days of move is a direct violation of my husband's visa conditions, and can be fined and or deported !?!? Our move was 1.5 yrs ago!!!! :(

Has this happened to anyone before where you didn't tell them about new address until it got really close to the 90 day period (we'll need to file in September)? Should I be getting a lawyer or do you have any experience with this that makes me not worry about it?

I submitted AR-11 online last night and would like to mail in I-865 today and wonder if I should send a letter, too explaining the fact that the "old" address is still our mailing address for most things and that the alien was this entire time available to communicate with on this old address?

I am starting to panic.

Did you forget to tell them about address change? What was the outcome?

Thanks!

12/05/11.......................Filed I-751

12/06/11.......................NOA

01/03/12......................BIO

09/10/12..................... Approved

09/21/12..................... Received GC

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

My wife and I are having this same problem now. I have heard from several law offices that, although this is technically a deportable offense, there are almost no recorded cases in which someone has been deported just because they forgot to notify the USCIS about their change of address. The case would be different if you were intentionally trying to evade the government, but I assume this is not the case. So, I don't think this is a cause for panic or freaking out. If you have a pending case, then you should file form AR-11 to notify the USCIS about your address change. If you don't have a pending case then you can fill out an address change form online. However, I believe you must also notify the USCIS about your address change history. I am in the process of doing this now. I think you can be confident that the government is not going to break up your family just because you made this small mistake. Lots of people make it. But, that being said, don't mess around. Notify them ASAP.

Forgot to add that a letter would probably help. This is what we are trying right now. As long as you update everything and let them know that it wasn't intentional, everything should be fine. If you inform the USCIS that you still received mail at an old address, this might help. On their web page it says that you do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there, so the fact that you continued to receive mail at your old address ought to count for something. Specifically, the relevant law says this: "any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 265 , shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by chapter 4 of this title, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful." If you send them a letter telling them that you did not do this on purpose, you should not have a problem.

Forgot to add that a letter would probably help. This is what we are trying right now. As long as you update everything and let them know that it wasn't intentional, everything should be fine. If you inform the USCIS that you still received mail at an old address, this might help. On their web page it says that you do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there, so the fact that you continued to receive mail at your old address ought to count for something. Specifically, the relevant law says this: "any alien who fails to give written notice to the Attorney General, as required by section 265 , shall be taken into custody and removed in the manner provided by chapter 4 of this title, unless such alien establishes to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such failure was reasonably excusable or was not willful." If you send them a letter telling them that you did not do this on purpose, you should not have a problem.

Thank you soooo much for your kind response. As followed up on another thread, I ended up including letter in my packet, explaining that my mailing address remained the same. I got a notice of address change back from USCIS and it appears that everything will be fine.

You are very kind to respond with such an insightful answer, thanks a lot!

12/05/11.......................Filed I-751

12/06/11.......................NOA

01/03/12......................BIO

09/10/12..................... Approved

09/21/12..................... Received GC

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have similar problem like but in my case I received notice of action to provide additional documents. I had prepared all required additional document to process my I-751 form, but the problem is that in my document list I have added my apartment lease document which has diffeterent address and all my other finanicial document has my main address. I did not change my address anywhere in my mailing. Currently all my major mails come on my main address not on my apartment address.

so How do I give response to my notice of action to provide additional document to process my form.

Please help me I have to send this document in ASAP manner.

Thank

Patel M

• 5 years later...

I moved from my previous address to a new Address when I filed my i751 in 2017 December ,but I did not file a change of Address because I did not remember to change my address after 7 months when I remember I immediately I file the change of Address,but when I filed my i751 in December 2017 I used my current Address  is there any issue in late filling even when you have your current mailing Address with USCIS? Please I need somebody to console me the whole of my mind is up...please advice 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.