Peter

Selective Service Pre AOS?

6 posts in this topic

I have a question.

I've brought this up but well, I'm concerned and now I'm basically feeling like I should have done it, but yet didn't know about it after the fact.

Here's the information.

As i understand, Any male before the age of 26 has to enter Selective Service. I understand that, have no problem with joining it.

I entered on a K1 Visa in Early July, Got married in September, and then turned 26 in October. Filled for AOS late october.

Great, All dandy right? Now from my understanding, the AOS states that if i'm under the age of 26, it would have put me into SSS regardless. I'm wondering now Because I entered under K-1 in early July, and i was 25, Should i have went ahead and applied for SSS? I'm confused, I am going to apply for citizenship but now i'm worried that I Will be denied because of this. I tried registering shortly after I found out about it but I turned 26 but of course, website stated that I didn't need to.

So what am I going to do?

Posted this in the AOS as it pretains to K1/AOS stage =)

Feb 2005 - APPROVED for K1 Visa

June - 2005 - Moved to the USA =)

Apr - 2006 - APPROVED AOS Without Interview!!

Feb - 2008 - REMOVAL of conditions!!!!!

02/20/2008 - Package was sent to TSC.

02/25/2008 - Package confirmed received at TSC.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My take on this is that since those here on nonimmigrant visas are not required to register, that if you turned 26 before your I-94 expired, then you should be in the clear. If your 26th birthday was after your I-94 expired, then you might encounter some difficulties.

So, when did your I-94 expire and when is your birthday?

ETA: The website does state: "NOTE: Immigrants who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa unitl after they were 26 years old were never required to register.", which I think supports what I wrote above.

Edited by jenn3539

Well Drat,

My I-94 expired Late Sept. ( I Etnered actually last day of june) My Brithday is Oct 12.

So 13 days was in between And of course, with getting kicked out of the house were living at because the properpy was being sold, so I filled for AOS a bit late , so in fact i was out of status for not long but maybe half a month to a month while we moved to the new APT.

Disclaimer: Hey, YOU! I AM NOT A LAWYER, Everything I say is my opinion based on MY EXPERIENCE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well Drat,

My I-94 expired Late Sept. ( I Etnered actually last day of june) My Brithday is Oct 12.

So 13 days was in between And of course, with getting kicked out of the house were living at because the properpy was being sold, so I filled for AOS a bit late , so in fact i was out of status for not long but maybe half a month to a month while we moved to the new APT.

Well, I don't know for sure whether this will be a problem or not. You might try getting a letter from the SS stating that you were not required to register, if they decide that you were not in fact required to register.

Well Drat,

Well, I don't know for sure whether this will be a problem or not. You might try getting a letter from the SS stating that you were not required to register, if they decide that you were not in fact required to register.

I guess I will go ahead and take that route. I don't mind joining, heck, they can put me in there right now. I don't care! I was even debating about joining the military but wife made me change my mind:/

sigh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.