ds36

K1 Interview review - 6th June

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone 

Just on the way back from London after the interview this morning. 

As most people said previously the process was relatively straightforward:

- Arrive at a desk outside who ask for DS160 and passport and tick you off a list 

- Sent through security (had to take a drink of my Diet Coke to prove it was ok)

- Arrived at a big queue outside the building door, (I think there was some confusion here as the signage wasn’t clear so everyone just started queuing when actually people with 10am appointments could have gone inside) - went inside to the desk where you hand in your DS160 again and they give you a sticker and tell you where to go - 1st floor then left and left again around the corner 

- Here you take a seat and wait for your number to beep and pop up on screen. I was seen about 10.20 by a guy who asked for Passport, Birth Certificate, Police Report, Affidavit of Support and W2 and letter of employment which I handed over. He asked if I had lived anywhere other than UK and I said Australia for 8 months, so he said I needed a police certificate for there but I said the website said it was 12 months or more so he made a note and said the immigration agent would discuss with me. I then did fingerprints and was told to take a seat

- Maximum wait of about 10 more mins then called up to a different booth to see a lady

- She asked where we met which I explained and then commented that she could see I had been on plenty of visits (21 in 2.5 years) - no further questions

- She then went on to say I did need this police certificate from Australia and it changed recently to 6 months or more and once they have this everything else is perfect and they will approve

Needless to say I left a bit gutted and annoyed at myself for missing that (I had ordered my UK police cert back in january and been super organised).

Having been spinning on it on my journey home I double checked the UK embassy website from the link they sent in the appointment email (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/appointment-notification/

which still shows it as being 12 months or more!!!!!

The actual US website does show 6 months, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html but clearly the UK embassy haven’t updated their information, which they are sending out to people!

Ordering the police certificate tonight but it is a 15 working day timeframe (plus god knows how long postage from Australia) so going to try call the embassy tomorrow. I doubt it will make a difference but I can’t help but feel frustrated that the information provided by them is incorrect. 

Not an ideal experience but purely down to the police certificate side of things rather than anything else! 

Hope that helps people!

Danielle :)

B4718A8F-2E15-47AE-BAE8-ADF36E26AD62.png

Edited by ds36
Spelling

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Where did you get that information?   https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

The fiance visa link says 6 months.

image.png.4004f0bf546e1eef720e8a41d72a37fb.png

This is the 2nd post I've seen within a week concerning the 6 mo vs 12 mo requirement for police reports .

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Where did you get that information?   https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

The fiance visa link says 6 months.

image.png.4004f0bf546e1eef720e8a41d72a37fb.png

The link came from the official email confirming completion of my DS160 and confirmation of my Embassy appointment...

B359B7F1-D861-4B1D-8E62-7A322A505E3E.png

Timeline

Actually just following on from that the actual physical document they gave to me asking for the additional Police Certificate also has the link to the wrong info on too haha! :wacko:

‘Police certificate from....Australia.... (and certified translation, if applicable). Please see our website bit.ly/ivletterdocs for more information about police certificates’ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.