IreneA

Philippine Dual Citizenship

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right venue, but I'll ask anyway. 
I'm a naturalized U.S. citizen of over 40 yrs now, but am looking to obtain dual citizenship. In looking at the required documents, they ask for copies of Philippine and U.S. passports (original to be presented before oath-taking, when applying by mail - hmmm, have I just answered my own question??)  I'm not applying by mail, I'm going in person to the Philippine Embassy in Washington, DC, however, I have no clue where my original Philippine passport could be now. Is that a deal-breaker?? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Irene

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
44 minutes ago, IreneA said:

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right venue, but I'll ask anyway. 
I'm a naturalized U.S. citizen of over 40 yrs now, but am looking to obtain dual citizenship. In looking at the required documents, they ask for copies of Philippine and U.S. passports (original to be presented before oath-taking, when applying by mail - hmmm, have I just answered my own question??)  I'm not applying by mail, I'm going in person to the Philippine Embassy in Washington, DC, however, I have no clue where my original Philippine passport could be now. Is that a deal-breaker?? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Irene

I not sure I would know where a document is after 40 years either.   Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you regarding the missing passport for dual citizenship.  Best advice I have is to contact the embassy .. don't expect quick replies.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/contact-us-dc/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Spoiler

I do know your Philippine Citizenship never goes away or expires. Knowing how things are in the Philippines now (my home is in Cebu now with my fiancee.. Soon we're going to the US), you can try and contact The National Statistics Office of the Philippines and see if they can provide you a copy of your Birth Certificate. With that you can apply for a new passport at the USEM in D.C.   If NSO can't give you a copy, then your going to have to go to your birthplace/barangy to the local registrars office there and attempt to get it from there. However in consideration for how long it's been since you were born, it very well may be impossible to get a copy of your BC (unless you already have it somewhere buried in your things someplace).  Without that BC or you finding your old Passport, it's going to be next to impossible to prove to the PIEM that you're a Natural Citizen of the PI. 

https://nsohelpline.ph/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrGrDgjG868A8fMjButJkYh3h_-vziA6daxSHIBhxXYGGBBtq86liYwaAkT_EALw_wcB

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.