WeGuyGal

i551 stamp.. eligibility

6 posts in this topic

My wife did not have a last name from childhood, just a two-word given name, aka Mary Ann. Well, the USEmb requires the Last Name field not be blank, so her CR1 visa, and GC has Mary Ann, FNU. 

To remove the confusion and simplify, we did a legal name change to Mary Smith (smith aka hubby's last name). Changed the passport, SSN card, DL to new name. 

We recently sent our i751 ROC package with the new name Mary Smith. Problem is, the conditional GC will continue to display Mary Ann until ROC is approved. If we travel overseas, whats the possibility an airline clerk or immigration overseas could create hassles about Mary Ann on the expired GC, but Mary Smith on the i797 and passport? 

Or do we have a case for the i551 stamp on the new passport? 

You should be fine, provided that if she travels, she carries all of the following:

1. Passport (new name)
  2. Extension letter (new name)
  3. Expired green card (old name)
  4. Certificate of legal name change (showing the connection between the two)

14 hours ago, nightingalejules said:

You should be fine, provided that if she travels, she carries all of the following:

1. Passport (new name)
  2. Extension letter (new name)
  3. Expired green card (old name)
  4. Certificate of legal name change (showing the connection between the two)

We would carry all that. Though my question still stands.. are we eligible to try and go for the i551 stamp?

Honestly I don't know. They might give you one, based on the name change - you probably couldn't get one otherwise until closer to your extension expiry, but in this case they might give you one. 

In any case, all you have to lose by trying is time (and travel expenses) so if you really want to be rid of the headache, go ahead and make the appointment!

50 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

We would carry all that. Though my question still stands.. are we eligible to try and go for the i551 stamp?

Yes/no/maybe.

Could come down to whether the gimp at the infopass appointment got some the night before.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.