SarahNRolando

Guatemala Appointment Time?

360 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi guys,

This thread is helping me to know I'm not alone. This whole process has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life. My husband and I got our 601 waiver approved in January (which was a battle in itself, involving proving psychological hardship by searching through my fathers apartment for documents I needed 3 weeks after he died) but anyways we got approved in a January, submitted our final package March 1st and 11 weeks later we had the same situation as was mentioned above with the birth certificate and had to get a new one and resubmitted in the end of May. Now we're waiting for our appointment. The waiting doesn't bother me it's the fear that they won't let him back in. Does anyone know if Guatemala's embassy is difficult to get a visa in this type of situation?

1 hour ago, JessicaMQ said:

Hi guys,

This thread is helping me to know I'm not alone. This whole process has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life. My husband and I got our 601 waiver approved in January (which was a battle in itself, involving proving psychological hardship by searching through my fathers apartment for documents I needed 3 weeks after he died) but anyways we got approved in a January, submitted our final package March 1st and 11 weeks later we had the same situation as was mentioned above with the birth certificate and had to get a new one and resubmitted in the end of May. Now we're waiting for our appointment. The waiting doesn't bother me it's the fear that they won't let him back in. Does anyone know if Guatemala's embassy is difficult to get a visa in this type of situation?

Hello!

We resubmitted in May as well and got a case complete in July, and my husband is leaving on next Monday two weeks before his interview, which is on 9/11/17. We also had a 601 waiver but from what I know, as long as he is not inadmissable in any other way then it should be fine. Like I said, we haven't done our interview yet but from what I hear the Guatemalan consulate runs things very smoothly and we have two friends who have interviewed, both with waivers as well, and had no issues, except  for the fact that they only took photocopies which held them up. Make sure you are bringing originals plus one photo copy of everything. Also make sure he gets his DPI card if he does not have one already because he needs that to get his police certificate. I will update this when we have more info during his trip if that will be of help to you or anyone else.

Thank you so much that gives me hope! I don't know why we haven't heard yet... hopefully nothing's wrong and it just takes time. Yes, I know about the DPI and I will definitely bring originals, thanks for the info. Thanks so much will keep everyone posted good luck to your husband.

So what we found out was that the wait time can go back to 11 weeks when you resubmit. But don't get discouraged with that because ours was done about six or seven weeks after resubmission even though they told us 11 weeks again...I think they have that time frame just to make sure they give themselves enough time maybe. Hoping for a quick case complete for you!!!

21 minutes ago, SarahNRolando said:

So what we found out was that the wait time can go back to 11 weeks when you resubmit. But don't get discouraged with that because ours was done about six or seven weeks after resubmission even though they told us 11 weeks again...I think they have that time frame just to make sure they give themselves enough time maybe. Hoping for a quick case complete for you!!!

Ours has been 13 weeks, hopefully that's no reason to worry. I'm gonna call my lawyer on Monday. What do you think?

I agree with you, I would call my attorney as well. Hopefully it's just a matter of them updating something.  I called them once every couple weeks and right before our case was complete they kept asking me if I had done our DS 260 which we had done back in January of this year. She said it was not showing up on her system, put me on hold, and then told me that her supervisor had to update something and within one week our case was complete.  The only reason we found out about the birth certificate resubmission is when our attorney called as well. 

But it seems that Guatemala schedules appointments pretty quickly. We had a case complete on July 24 and about a week and a half later we received our appointment notice for September. Our time at the NVC has taken longer than our waiver did!!

11 minutes ago, SarahNRolando said:

I agree with you, I would call my attorney as well. Hopefully it's just a matter of them updating something.  I called them once every couple weeks and right before our case was complete they kept asking me if I had done our DS 260 which we had done back in January of this year. She said it was not showing up on her system, put me on hold, and then told me that her supervisor had to update something and within one week our case was complete.  The only reason we found out about the birth certificate resubmission is when our attorney called as well. 

But it seems that Guatemala schedules appointments pretty quickly. We had a case complete on July 24 and about a week and a half later we received our appointment notice for September. Our time at the NVC has taken longer than our waiver did!!

Yes I agree! Hopefully I can persuade them to call, I know they have to wait a while on hold but hopefully it's something minor like that. When you say "you called them" do you mean the lawyer or the NVC?  Ugh I wish tomorrow was a Monday so I could find out tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, SarahNRolando said:

You seem so confident and it's helping me a lot just letting you know. I've been in a negative thought pattern of "what if they don't let him back in" and jumping to worst case scenario which in my mind is my life would be over, I have no plan B and I can't leave my job/life here unless I absolutely have to which would be tough, but knowing there's other ppl going through it (like you said your husband is leaving Monday) makes me feel some sense of normalcy. Most ppl know nothing about this so they act so shocked when I tell them he has to go back and that messes with my head. So glad Visa Journey exists! And you!!!

I'm just glad we can use our experience to help someone else! I also always keep the worst-case scenario in mind but I would rather be prepared  for the worst case then be taken by surprise by it later. You have every right to feel nervous and anxious and I feel that way too sometimes but we are both almost to the end of this and can put it behind us and move on with all of our lives. Regarding your other message, I called the Visa Center myself and was somehow afraid that I had done something wrong and fessed up to our attorney who said that it was OK for me to call as long as I was not calling every day. I would definitely check with your attorney before you call but really it was no big deal for us. We waited on hold for a while but they simply ask your case number your name the beneficiaries name and birthdate and then I would just ask them for an update and they would give me the latest thing they had. Most of the time they're extremely friendly. I even asked one day if my calling so often would hold our case up and they said no that it actually is more up-to-date than checking online. However I did find out our case was complete  during one of my multiple internet status checks during the day. It had literally been updated five minutes before I found out and called them. But again, check with your attorney but I'm pretty sure that calling them to get a status update does not hinder your case in any way.  But attorneys know best!

If you ever need to talk about it or have questions, and are comfortable with it I can message you my number. I have found this website to be super informative, but has  also put me in touch with others in the same situation. It has been nice to find a type of support. 

10 minutes ago, SarahNRolando said:

I'm just glad we can use our experience to help someone else! I also always keep the worst-case scenario in mind but I would rather be prepared  for the worst case then be taken by surprise by it later. You have every right to feel nervous and anxious and I feel that way too sometimes but we are both almost to the end of this and can put it behind us and move on with all of our lives. Regarding your other message, I called the Visa Center myself and was somehow afraid that I had done something wrong and fessed up to our attorney who said that it was OK for me to call as long as I was not calling every day. I would definitely check with your attorney before you call but really it was no big deal for us. We waited on hold for a while but they simply ask your case number your name the beneficiaries name and birthdate and then I would just ask them for an update and they would give me the latest thing they had. Most of the time they're extremely friendly. I even asked one day if my calling so often would hold our case up and they said no that it actually is more up-to-date than checking online. However I did find out our case was complete  during one of my multiple internet status checks during the day. It had literally been updated five minutes before I found out and called them. But again, check with your attorney but I'm pretty sure that calling them to get a status update does not hinder your case in any way.  But attorneys know best!

If you ever need to talk about it or have questions, and are comfortable with it I can message you my number. I have found this website to be super informative, but has  also put me in touch with others in the same situation. It has been nice to find a type of support. 

You're right, we are almost at the end. I can't wait to just move on with my life - celebrate, take a vacation finally, enjoy life for a year and then start making babies lol.

And I thought I knew everything about this process but after your last message I started googling and didn't realize I could actually check my case number online. It says "At NVC" which makes me relieved I didn't miss our appointment. But now I know I can check, and I will definitely call my lawyer. I always feel like I'm annoying her because I got very anxious a few months back when ICE raids were happening and she kind of yelled at me once, but I think I have every right to call her now, it's been 13 weeks she should understand. And yes you can definitely message me your number I would REALLY appreciate it. I have lots of friends and family but no one can really understand unless they've been through it which I'm sure you know. Thanks so much!

"At NVC" should be a good sign, I think!!!  When I used to check my husbands it would say submit requested documents which meant we got the checklist with the birth certificate and it said that all the way until our case was complete. Then I noticed it changed to the NVC status and I looked up another status page and it  showed that my husband's case had  added at foreign state of chargeability as Guatemala and the line showing where we had paid our fees had disappeared. I called them and that's when I found out our case was complete. We got an email exactly a week later. Have you been checking your email consistently? Or are all notifications going to your attorney? We had it set up to where our attorney received them and we did as well. I don't want to get you all excited but I think that status is a good sign!! I'll message you my number. 

10 hours ago, SarahNRolando said:

"At NVC" should be a good sign, I think!!!  When I used to check my husbands it would say submit requested documents which meant we got the checklist with the birth certificate and it said that all the way until our case was complete. Then I noticed it changed to the NVC status and I looked up another status page and it  showed that my husband's case had  added at foreign state of chargeability as Guatemala and the line showing where we had paid our fees had disappeared. I called them and that's when I found out our case was complete. We got an email exactly a week later. Have you been checking your email consistently? Or are all notifications going to your attorney? We had it set up to where our attorney received them and we did as well. I don't want to get you all excited but I think that status is a good sign!! I'll message you my number. 

I won't get my hopes up but I'm definitely hopeful if that makes sense. Supposedly the emails were supposed to go to our attorney but when we found out the birth certificate I got the email and had to send it to the attorney. I check my email all day everyday Monday through Friday looking for an email from them. Hopefully she will call tomorrow or I will call. And checking my messages now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.