fyong

Anyone succeeded/failed with F-1 renewal during OPT/OPT extension?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Hello,

I have already bought tickets and what not till I realize I should have thought this over. I've seen people saying it is risky to leave USA and renew your F1 visa even tho you have i20, EAD card and job letter. I am working for a company right now, and have been with the company for almost 2 years now (closing to half of the OPT extension). 

Would like to know are there people in the community that has succeeded/failed with their F1 visa renewal during OPT/OPT extension.

It is very tricky. I've been stuck in the U.S. for a while due to being about to graduate and then due to OPT. 

First, you should contact your college or university and ask for their advice. They are the ones dealing with a lot of these cases and they will be able to give you better information. They will probably tell you not to leave. They might know about cases from your country of origin.

Second, you will have to renew the F-1 visa, you will have to go to the interview (because you've graduated), and they might ask you to go back with more documentation. It will not be a regular F-1 renewal. This process can take a while (I've read online that for some people it was over a month but it also depends on country). Whether they will renew the F-1 or not is a toss. 

In addition, all the time you are abroad will count towards your "not working" days. Have you already accumulated many of those? If you reach the maximum you won't be allowed back in even if they renew your F-1. 

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mexico
Timeline
9 hours ago, fyong said:

Hello,

I have already bought tickets and what not till I realize I should have thought this over. I've seen people saying it is risky to leave USA and renew your F1 visa even tho you have i20, EAD card and job letter. I am working for a company right now, and have been with the company for almost 2 years now (closing to half of the OPT extension). 

Would like to know are there people in the community that has succeeded/failed with their F1 visa renewal during OPT/OPT extension.

Hi,

I went through this process a few years ago (2012-2014). After graduation I was able to obtain a job and work under the OPT and OPT 17 month STEM extension. My job entailed travelling out of the country every 3-6 months. So I always traveled with my valid passport and visa stamp, I-94, I-20 with travel signature (from the University) and letter from my employer explaining my required travels. In the middle of this process my visa stamp expired and returned home to renew it.

I have to say, I did not encounter any issues when returning to the U.S., other than the being sent to secondary inspection, because some of the officers did not understand the OPT or want to double check with their supervisor. This mainly occurred when crossing the border by land. Airport officers seemed to be more familiar with the OPT status.

As long as you travel with all your documents, you should be fine. Before leaving the U.S. to renew your visa, I would suggest you bring a letter from your employer to show your ties to the OPT. Most officers see you as a student, due to the F-1 visa. However, I would always mention I had graduated and was currently on a practical training.  Back then I was told by the University it was risky to leave the U.S. under the OPT if you did not have a job.

From the previous comment from Coco8 on the days out of the country counting as 'non-working days', that never happened to me. Travels also occur due to the vacation days given by your employer. I believe the non-working days allowed are the periods of time under the OPT when you do not have a job. So since fyong, currently holds a job, I don't believe this would apply.

I hope this helps and I am happy to answer any questions you have.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mexico
Timeline
11 minutes ago, RRR2016 said:

Hi,

I went through this process a few years ago (2012-2014). After graduation I was able to obtain a job and work under the OPT and OPT 17 month STEM extension. My job entailed travelling out of the country every 3-6 months. So I always traveled with my valid passport and visa stamp, I-94, I-20 with travel signature (from the University) and letter from my employer explaining my required travels. In the middle of this process my visa stamp expired and returned home to renew it.

I have to say, I did not encounter any issues when returning to the U.S., other than the being sent to secondary inspection, because some of the officers did not understand the OPT or want to double check with their supervisor. This mainly occurred when crossing the border by land. Airport officers seemed to be more familiar with the OPT status.

As long as you travel with all your documents, you should be fine. Before leaving the U.S. to renew your visa, I would suggest you bring a letter from your employer to show your ties to the OPT. Most officers see you as a student, due to the F-1 visa. However, I would always mention I had graduated and was currently on a practical training.  Back then I was told by the University it was risky to leave the U.S. under the OPT if you did not have a job.

From the previous comment from Coco8 on the days out of the country counting as 'non-working days', that never happened to me. Travels also occur due to the vacation days given by your employer. I believe the non-working days allowed are the periods of time under the OPT when you do not have a job. So since fyong, currently holds a job, I don't believe this would apply.

I hope this helps and I am happy to answer any questions you have.

I forgot to add the EAD card to the list of documents, while traveling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.