Jump to content

N-400 Document Checklist - 5 Years on GreenCard

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



Thanks for reviewing my post. I am applying for the US Citizenship, I have completed 5 years with Green Card. No traffic violation, no felony or anything like that. My Wife also has the greencard and we both are from India. I want to clarify the document checklist, looking at the M-477 checklist, it seems I just need the following:


- A photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident Card

- A check or money order for the application fee and the biometric services fee, as stated in the M-479

- 2 identical color photographs, with my name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo


Am I missing something?


Please note-


- I am NOT applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen.

- I have NOT taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident

- I have never been arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer

- I have always filled taxes on time and I don't have any overdue taxes.


Thanks in advance for your response.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cadence said:

What happened to your tax transcripts for the last 5 years?

Looking at the M-477 checklist I don't believe I need to submit the tax transcript because I have not taken any trip outside the US that lasted 6 months or more:


Here is the snippet of the M-477:


If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
□ An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen).
□ Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi AbhiJ,


Your checklist are correct for M-477.  I also went on the N-400 instructions..it shows there on page 10 that you also need a Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. I guess it both applies to either you are applying under the 3 year rule or 5 year rule.  I also submitted a copy of my marriage certificate just incase even though I'm applying under the 5 year rule.


For the tax transcript, it shows on the instruction on N-400 to just bring it on your interview just in case the IO ask for it.^_^


Required Evidence
Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400. 1. Photographs.  Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken recently.  The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched.  Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”.  The photos must be in color with full face, frontal view on a white to off-white background.  Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo.  Your head must be bare, unless contrary to your religious beliefs.  Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo. 2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card.  Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card).  USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy.  If you have lost your Form I-551, attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. 3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document.  Provide a photocopy of your current marriage certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse. 4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:  A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service).  If you are a current member of the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426.  If you are separated from the military, provide an uncertified Form N-426.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.