skyman2112

Transit visa for Tokyo

5 posts in this topic

Is she going to get out of the airport? Thought if you don't get out of the airport you would not need a transit visa..hmm....

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

I fly standby so my wife has a thai passport with a green card. They won't let us fly through tokyo witout a transit visa so how do i get one? Thanks all!

From here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html

If the passengers of an airplane or ship that lands at an airport or seaport in Japan wish to enter Japan temporarily for shopping or rest, they can receive special landing permission from the immigration authority at the port of arrival even if they do not possess a visa.

In principle, applications for such special landing permission are made not by the foreigners wishing to enter Japan themselves but by the captain of their airplane or ship or by the carrier (transportation company) operating the flight or voyage. When special landing permission is granted, the foreigners concerned are not given any status of residence or period of stay, but restrictions on landing time and scope of movement are stipulated as conditions for permission. Also, special landing permission is not granted if the applicant will be returning to his or her place of departure (for example, coming from Hawaii and then returning to Hawaii).

Please note that these permits are for very short stays, they cannot be extended, and the route to be followed in transit, etc. is subject to restrictions. If foreigners wish to travel in Japan, they are recommended to acquire a transit visa or a short-term visa before coming to Japan.

For more details concerning special landing permission, please inquire at the nearest immigration authority.

There is more information on that site

keTiiDCjGVo

Yeah, I've just asked my friend who just got back from the states. He said that everytime he transitted in Tokyo, he did not have to get a transit visa. But of course, he did not leave the airport. Btw, Narita is a HUGE and wonderful airport.. transitting there should be fun as long as it's not more than 4 hours. You can even take a shower there :D They have great facillities there.

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
I fly standby so my wife has a thai passport with a green card. They won't let us fly through tokyo witout a transit visa so how do i get one? Thanks all!

From here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html

If the passengers of an airplane or ship that lands at an airport or seaport in Japan wish to enter Japan temporarily for shopping or rest, they can receive special landing permission from the immigration authority at the port of arrival even if they do not possess a visa.

In principle, applications for such special landing permission are made not by the foreigners wishing to enter Japan themselves but by the captain of their airplane or ship or by the carrier (transportation company) operating the flight or voyage. When special landing permission is granted, the foreigners concerned are not given any status of residence or period of stay, but restrictions on landing time and scope of movement are stipulated as conditions for permission. Also, special landing permission is not granted if the applicant will be returning to his or her place of departure (for example, coming from Hawaii and then returning to Hawaii).

Please note that these permits are for very short stays, they cannot be extended, and the route to be followed in transit, etc. is subject to restrictions. If foreigners wish to travel in Japan, they are recommended to acquire a transit visa or a short-term visa before coming to Japan.

For more details concerning special landing permission, please inquire at the nearest immigration authority.

There is more information on that site

Unfortunately Thailand airport won't let you fly through Tokyo without an american passport, unless you have a paid for ticket which i don't have ( I fly standby as an airline employee).

I met my honey in Iloilo!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.