Lelyze

Name change problems

6 posts in this topic

I got my ssn back in December, just a week after I arrived, on my maiden name. I got my EAD in June and I went back to SSA office to change my name to married. They told me that I should get my new card in 4 weeks, and if I don't receive it by then to call them. Well, it's been over 4 weeks now, and I called them. They told me that USCIS didn't verify my status yet, and that there is nothing I can do but wait. Has anyone else experienced this? Why does it take so long, and should I be worried?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, I had the same problem, it took them 8 weeks... Make sure you ask them if they sent the 'G-845, Verification Request'. If they haven't, get them to do ASAP. If they say they have already done, ask for a copy of it or at least the 'verification number' so you can follow up online. And keep calling them at least once a week to check if a response was received...

Yes, I had the same problem, it took them 8 weeks... Make sure you ask them if they sent the 'G-845, Verification Request'. If they haven't, get them to do ASAP. If they say they have already done, ask for a copy of it or at least the 'verification number' so you can follow up online. And keep calling them at least once a week to check if a response was received...

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes they told me they sent Verification request, I will call again to ask for a copy. I also want to get my drivers licence, can I do it before I get my new SSC?

Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes they told me they sent Verification request, I will call again to ask for a copy. I also want to get my drivers licence, can I do it before I get my new SSC?

I think that depends on the rules of your state. I'm in IA and I had to wait until I had the SSC. And I also had the same 'problem' at the DMV but at least it took them just over a week to 'verify'. Only after that I was able to do the knowledge test and then a few days later I did the driving test. The DL expire date is the same as the EAD card.

It looks like they just send verification request, and this is third time I'm calling them. They say that they can not give me Verification number, because it is in government system, what ever that means. I think I will go to SSA in person next week to se what is going on.

Timeline

It looks like they just send verification request, and this is third time I'm calling them. They say that they can not give me Verification number, because it is in government system, what ever that means. I think I will go to SSA in person next week to se what is going on.

They are hopeless... They also sent my verification only after 4 week and after I went there twice. The second time I went with my 18 month old baby and said I would not leave until they gave me the verification number and it would be up to them if my baby started screaming or got hungry. I am a bit of a 'loud' person and I think they got a bit scared... I didn't mention before as I didn't want 'scare' you :)

In the end they gave me the number. It is usually a 13 digits number with 2 letters in the end. I think the first 4 digits represent the year as mine was 2015.

The website to check is: https://save.uscis.gov/casecheck/

After they gave me the number I was checking and calling them a couple of times a week but the confirmation just came after 4 weeks - so in total I waited 8 weeks.

If they really sent your verification now, hopefully you get it in 4 weeks too. I just don't understand why they wait 4 weeks to send in the first place...

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.