mmorgan14

Dutch beneficiary VOG needed?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi all!

My fiance and I are currently in the beginning stages of the K1 visa process. Got our NOA1 a couple of weeks ago and now we're playing the waiting game.

My question is concerning the clarification on whether or not my fiance needs to obtain a VOG. Is this something he can do on his own or is this an internal process that happens behind the scenes? I've tried to get the answer on a few other forums posts here, but haven't been able to find a clear-cut answer. I realize that the process may have changed since the last posts, so I'm wondering if there is someone out there that recently went through the process with the consulate in Amsterdam.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Missy

Timeline

Thanks!!

Ok, so he can request one on his own, but where does he receive the Supporting letter for Dutch VOG from? I see that it's available for download, but it seems very generic. Am I making this more difficult than it really is?

The generic one is probably the best one to use. When i went through this process i was overthinking a lot as well. Just think that at least hundreds of people used this generic one. If something was wrong with it you would have heard something by now.

one thing i want to mention when getting a birth certificate make sure you get the international one.

Timeline

Thank you so much for your help! I'll have him submit that soon.

And thanks for the heads up on the birth certificate. I'll make sure my fiancé gets the right one :)

Timeline

Me again.....we are awaiting our NOA2 (probably beginning of July). Is it too early for my fiance to submit application for the VOG? I'm anxious to get as much info and documents gathered as possible, but I'm afraid if he gets the VOG this early in the process, the consolate might find a problem with that. Like, say he receives the VOG 1-2 months before his interview. Who's to say that he hasn't commited a crime within that 1-2 month timeframe. Not that he plans on doing that....but still. Is there a such thing as getting the documents "too early"?

Same applies to the letter of good standing and statements from my bank. Should I just wait until I receive my NOA2?

Thanks again!

Timeline

Also, my fiancé is reading through the Ministry of Justice website where it says the letter (generic letter) needs to have a signature.....so I'm lost. Maybe something has changed and the generic letter isn't valid anymore?

If I understand it correctly, the consulate sends you the required letter or at least something that can go with the form. Hand them in and than you get to play the dutch waiting game. I have had these things requested numerous times (airport workers need them frequently) Normal wait is around 3 weeks, but I've had them as quick as 2 weeks.

And to make things even more fun. VOG has to be applied for in the county he is currently residing and the birth certificate needs to come from the actual county he was born in.

Timeline

My fiance made an appt at the Justice dept in his city and brought his passport and the letter that Ralph and Meghan provided and that was good enough! He will have his VoG in a couple of weeks. Thanks for everyone's help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.