SGNHCMAPR

K-1 and Co-Sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you in advance for your time!

Does the consulate in Ho Chi Minh accept co-sponsors for the k-1 visa? On their web page it has instructions on the information to bring for a co-sponsor, but I've seen that some people have mentioned that Ho Chi Minh does not accept co-sponsors.

My Fiancee has been volunteering at his family's company for 3 out of the past 4 years. This past year he has been living in Saigon and getting to know my family. The agreement has always been that he would volunteer at his family's company and once he settled down he would be offered formal employment and salary. Now that we're getting ready to settle down in America, his family has offered him a salaried postion and they have supplied a letter stating this and his offered salary.

His Grandfather who we speak with everyday over skype and who came to Vietnam to visit for a month has filled out all the co-sponsor paperwork and is well above the requirements.

He will also be attending the interview with me at the end of the month.

Will this be enough for the interview? If not what more can we do?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Update

His Family's company has issued us two letters of offered employment. One for him that states his offered postion and salary and explains the situation in detail.

The second one was issued to me, and offers me employment upon me receiving my work permit. It details the role, salary, and postion detailes.

Is there anything more we should have with us to help come time of the interview?

Thank you!

The 2nd letter issued to you, in my opinion, is not relevant. But the first letter to your fiancé certainly helps.

Since he has not worked for the past few years, he will surely need a co-sponsor (or sponsors). If you read the K1 Instructions (link below), there is one part of the instructions that tells you what you need as far as being a co-sponsor, so I think having a co-sponsor for a K1 in VN is possible (if not permissible).

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/hochiminh/231771/PDFs/K-INSTRUCTION.pdf

I think you will be fine.

dasmqwR4N.png

Edited by frontgear

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm still confused as to wether or not you can use a co-sponsor? Also what is the actual amount of money you need to make. My 2014 tax return was a low amount but the average of the last 4 years is pretty good.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Marriage: 2015-08-07

I-130 Sent : 2015-12-19

I-130 NOA1 : 2015-12-24

I-130 Approved : 2016-01-13

NVC Received : 2016-01-22

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2016-02-02

Pay AOS Bill : 2016-02-03

Receive I-864 Package :

Send AOS Package :

Submit DS-261 : 2016-02-02

Receive IV Bill : 2016-02-05

Pay IV Bill : 2016-02-05

I'm still confused as to wether or not you can use a co-sponsor? Also what is the actual amount of money you need to make. My 2014 tax return was a low amount but the average of the last 4 years is pretty good.

It depends on what type of Visa you're applying for. For K-1, you need to make at least 100% of the amount listed in the Federal Poverty Guidelines. For IR1/CR1 (and AOS filing once your K-1 fiance/fiancee arrives in the U.S.), you have to make at least 125%.

The poverty guidelines vary depending on how many people are in your household (including the # of people you are sponsoring) and what U.S. state you currently live in.

See the link below for more info.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I believe what you made last year is more important than the average of what you made in the last 4. In other words, if you do not make enough in 2014 to meet the poverty guidelines, you will need a co-sponsor. I cannot answer for sure whether the consulate will allow you to have a co-sponsor, but I know a few cases where a co-sponsor was allowed.

Edited by frontgear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.