seramun

Can an American living abroad file for a K-1?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm an American living in the Netherlands and my fiance is British. We want to move to the US this September (I got a job) and want to file for my fiance to join. I've read about direct consular filing but unfortunately the American consulate in Amsterdam does not offer DCF. Do you have advice on the fastest way for my fiance to join me? Should we file for a fiance visa or get married in the Netherlands and file for a K3 visa? Do you know if I can file for a K-1 visa for my fiance while I'm living in the Netherlands? My parents live in the US so I could list that as my permanent address. Thanks for your advice!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there,

filing while you are still in the Netherlands is not a problem at all. My US fiance did the same thing - we filed while he was still living in Germany with me. Actually, it was more convinient this way as we could prepare all the paperwork together. You just send it from the Netherlands to Texas, listing your parents address as your permanent address so they can send the NOA1 (confirmation about receiving your application) to them.

The only thing that could be a little difficult is to get a money order7check from a US banking institute (for the application fee). This you will need to figure out. If you cant get one anywhere, send the whole application to your parents (or someone else you trust) and they can add the money order and send it to Texas.

One more thing: My fiance stated in his letter of intent that he currently lives with me in Germany but plans to return to the US in XX to establish our US domicile.

Hope that helped :)

Good luck!

NOA 1: 08/26/2014

NOA 2: 03/23/2014 --> 7 months wait (Texas Service Center)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks very much for your answer! When filling out the I-129 form I see that they ask my mailing address and the address where my fiance intends to live. We plan to find an apartment when we arrive, but don't know the address now. Should I be listing my parent's address here and just explain this in the letter of intent?

Thanks!

Hi there,

filing while you are still in the Netherlands is not a problem at all. My US fiance did the same thing - we filed while he was still living in Germany with me. Actually, it was more convinient this way as we could prepare all the paperwork together. You just send it from the Netherlands to Texas, listing your parents address as your permanent address so they can send the NOA1 (confirmation about receiving your application) to them.

The only thing that could be a little difficult is to get a money order7check from a US banking institute (for the application fee). This you will need to figure out. If you cant get one anywhere, send the whole application to your parents (or someone else you trust) and they can add the money order and send it to Texas.

One more thing: My fiance stated in his letter of intent that he currently lives with me in Germany but plans to return to the US in XX to establish our US domicile.

Hope that helped :)

Good luck!

I did exactly this and all has gone well for me. The fee was paid by my fiances Dad too. My fiance is still living in Japan right now (he leaves in 2 days!) so I thought that might have raised a few eyebrows at my interview, but it didn't at all. I was prepared with a copy of his flight itinerary and also a copy of his contract of employment within Japan that showed that he had finished work in February, but they didn't question it. I got asked the question "so what is your plan, are you living with his parents at first?" and I responded with "yes, until we get settled and I have my EAD, then we'll move out." Good luck OP!

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.